Suffering from those transformer hum blues?

Posted by: Foot tapper on 15 May 2015

I have 2 Naim systems at home:

A mac 'n dac system in the office (mac mini, DAC-V1, NAP140, PMC wall mounted speakers)

The main system Roksan TT, CDS3/555PS, 52/SC/135s, ART Alnico speakers.

15 years ago, our house had the electricity sub-station virtually to itself.

The main system was on its own separate, 2.5mm2, radial circuit from the electrical distribution board.

The electrical supply was basically superb.

Over the last 15 years, 4,000 homes and a business park have been built, all with an infestation of switched mode power supplies, fridge freezers and other polluting electrical devices.  Worst of all, ethernet over mains, or powerline ethernet plugs, has become popular with many of our neighbours.

As a result, the power supply transformers in the main system all started to hum progressively more loudly as the years have gone by.

It reached the point where the hum was intrusive during low to medium volume listening sessions.  Much worse though has been the impact on sound quality of the system.  Female singers voices started to sound a bit relentless or "shouty" and strained.  The system became a bit tiring, harsh & relentless to listen to.

Naturally, I had several ideas about why this was occurring.  At first, I thought that it might be the "live" acoustic of the room - curtains had been replaced with wooden slatted blinds.  Some subtle acoustic treatment helped a bit but didn't solve the issue. The arrival of the ART speakers, with their far more revealing mid-range and tweeter drivers, compounded the situation.  Perhaps the new speakers were sounding a bit hard during the inevitable running-in period?  Finally, it has been a few years since the Naim boxes had been serviced, so perhaps this was the cause? 

Over the last 2 years, I have gradually worked through all of these potential root causes, addressing them in turn.  And still the system gradually worsened to the point where I have been enjoying the office system far more than either LP or CD on the main system.  If music is sounding a bit strident,  lifeless and uninvolving when played on a Naim CDS3 CD player, then something is wrong.

After consultation with several people, including Naim R&D, I have just installed a humungous Airlink Transformers balanced power supply.  It is effectively a very large mains transformer which decouples the external mains from the radial supply to the music system.  This is connected to the wall sockets in the living room with a new, 10mm2 radial circuit.  It's a beast.

N.B.: This is not something to be undertaken lightly.  And it MUST be done by a qualified electrician for reasons of safety.  Double pole isolation breakers MUST be used (Airlink fit them as standard to the balanced power supply unit).

The result?  Music suddenly sounds sweet as a nut again.  Just sit back, relax and enjoy natural, flowing music again.  No more shouty female singers.  No more harsh sounding instruments.  The sound is warmer and richer, flowing, more detailed, more dynamic and images better.  Transients like drums and cymbals jump out in a more lifelike, dynamic way.  Most importantly, It is enjoyable and emotionally involving again.

Downsides?  I suspect that it is fractionally, very fractionally slower.  It takes about a minute to adjust, then I don't notice anymore, just get on with enjoying the music and ignoring the system.

I have subsequently tried an ISOL-8 LC unit to see if it made any difference.  It made no improvement and slowed the music down a bit too much for me.  I suspect that it was trying to do what the Airlink unit had already done upstream, so there was no benefit in this installation.  Perhaps it would have helped if the Airlink unit had not been installed - we will never know for sure.

Oh, and all the transformer hum in the Naim power supplies caused by offset DC voltages?  Gone.

Ah, the wonderful sound of silence.

Food for thought for those of us with dirty mains.  

And that is becoming the majority of us in the UK I suspect...

Posted on: 16 May 2015 by Huge

Simon,

WRT to the buzz, I did say "may buzz even louder".

There are few guarantees where the mechanical sound output of transformers is concerned!

Personally I have a very similar solution to Mike-B's so in respect of getting a balanced supply for myself "I'm also out"

However I'm very interested in the safety aspects of the system so I'll also send my email to you Simon to join the discussion.

H

Posted on: 16 May 2015 by bicela

When possible I also would join the 'private' discussion, FT I left a message in your wall.

Posted on: 08 June 2015 by Seth
Well, I have had an NVA BMU in my system for about a week now.  Astounding in my system. No downsides, still the Naim sound I love, only so much more refined, engaging, detailed and muscial - and absolutely no buzz whatsoever (even with my ear pressed up to the case!)
Posted on: 08 June 2015 by Foot tapper

Hi Seth

Congratulations.  Delighted that it has worked for you.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 08 June 2015 by AussieSteve

I had hum, I got an electrician to install a dedicated line to the fuse box, then forked out $1750 on an Isotek Evo3 Syncro, the hum was GONE! PS I bi-amp with a 200 & 250 into very sensitive horn speakers. The Syncro is a silver tube in the middle of a top tier power cord. It is designed to do exactly as has been described to you already. amazing kit. By the way, I have those Art speakers bookmarked on my computer, they look awesome!! Never seen or heard a pair, but I would love to down here (Australia) what do you think of them? Cheers mate

Posted on: 08 June 2015 by Foot tapper
Hi Steve
ART are delightful people to deal with; when you speak with ART, you speak with Derek Dunlop who owns the business with his brother Ramsay.

I spent a very, very long time (6 years!) auditioning different speakers before I found the pair that were: a big step ahead of my old Proacs, worked on our room and that were considered aesthetically acceptable by my wife (the toughest test by far!)

The ARTs have not disappointed, especially now that they are run in. Very revealing, fast, sweet sounding, dynamic and musical. The wok a treat with Naim.

Oh and with the downward firing port, relatively Unfussy about placement. These ones are keepers...

Best regards, FT
Posted on: 09 June 2015 by AussieSteve

Hi FT, No worries mate I am thrilled your speakers are so good. It is so cool when companies really care about their customers, Australia is a nightmare in that regard. Your post has taught me so much about power supplies, I thought I had the answers after my experience, it worked for me but if and when I upgrade and get more Naim power supplies or perhaps bigger amps I will need to go to the next level. This forum is an excellent place to learn and share the joys/frustrations of our hobby. Enjoy all mate, Steve

Posted on: 28 June 2015 by Foot tapper

A final post script for those fortunate enough to have the option of fine tuning the input voltage to their system.

As we are able to change the BPS output voltage in approximately 10V steps, a quick question to Naim indicated that dropping the voltage down to 230V from 242V should have negligible impact on the sound quality of the system, while affording all the power supply components "a much easier time of it."

We have been slightly concerned about this, as it has been necessary to service the NAP135s after only 6 years (thank you Darran at Class A, all done in under 5 hours on a Saturday) and the 555PS has begun to hum again, all be it much more quietly than before.

Perhaps a forum member who understands such things better than I can explain, but somehow it seems that too strong a voltage can overdrive the transformer (saturating its magnetic core?) and also accelerate the ageing of the electrolytic capacitors.

Anyway, the BPS output voltage has now been dropped from a measured 242V to a measured 230V.  We can detect absolutely no difference in sound quality from the speakers.  The 555PS on the other hand is now almost completely silent.  Better still, we may well be able to achieve 1-2 years of extended life before the next round of servicing is required to various Naim boxes.  That represents a considerable saving in cost and inconvenient silence!

As this BPS installation is a first for us and for our Naim dealer, the experience of others who have tried something similar would be interesting to read. 

Finally, another word of thanks to Naim Customer Service and R&D teams for their most helpful and swift replies to our various questions.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 28 June 2015 by MDS

Sounds an excellent outcome, FT. You must be pleased that the investment and hassle has proved worthwhile. On less things to worry about, too. 

Mike

Posted on: 21 August 2015 by pjdxpd

HI,

Also had transformer buzz issues on nac282/hicap dr and nap 250. installed 2x cmx-2's which solved the problem. (california, 120v/60hz) fyi.

paul

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-2

Posted on: 21 August 2015 by DaveBk

Hmmm, my 555PS and 552PS were humming more than usual this afternoon - the 300PS was fine. May have to bite the bullet at put the 15kVA isolation transformer into the HiFi radial as originally planned....

Posted on: 21 August 2015 by Foot tapper

Hi Paul,

Delighted that DC blocking has worked for you.

Dave

do let us know how you get on.

mine is still a joy.

Best regards, FT