Decent DVD/Blueray player?

Posted by: Sneaky SNAIC on 30 June 2015

Total noob in AV, not really into it, but want to have a good experience...my son wants to watch some DVDs, which is something we do *very* rarely since they are in college.  However, we do have some good old DVD of concerts, etc.  Seems like I should go with a blue ray player, but my question is which one and how would I pipe the sound into my DAC as easily as  possible? 

The newer ones seem to have a Network cable though, I didn't see optical out on most of them. Most of course have an HDMI out...my TV has an optical out which I use now, but it seems smarter to go from the player directly?

Again its a rare occurrence and I want to stay around $100ish

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Mattnbarns

Yep, no contest. Hondas every time.

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by Mattnbarns:

Thing is, if I buy a $40 one now...I'll curse every problem I find with it and it will probably not work well and eventually break. 

Remember it would also be a CD source for me which I don't have now...so its really a dac video stream, playanything box.

How do you stream music from the computer/nas with an oppo?

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:

Thing is, if I buy a $40 one now...I'll curse every problem I find with it and it will probably not work well and eventually break. 

Remember it would also be a CD source for me which I don't have now...so its really a dac video stream, playanything box.

Oppo has built in (local)Networking. You just select it and point it to your NAS server and it works. Be warned that their software interface sucks but it get the job done. If you're using a Computer there are a couple of USB inputs

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by marcusman:

Oppo has built in (local)Networking. You just select it and point it to your NAS server and it works. Be warned that their software interface sucks but it get the job done. If you're using a Computer there are a couple of USB inputs

Well, I don't have a NAS, but I don't like USB either.  I believe there is at least one SPDIF port on it.

I'm wary of getting rid of my DAC though...especially if I plan on getting an nDAC or something later.  I'm actually less picky with DACs...I like Rega DAC, nDAC, etc.

So I'd lose Rega DAC, gain blu-ray, DVD, CD.  Not sure what hit my digital streaming would take.  I hate redundancy though.  I'm so OCD about that.

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by marcusman:

Well, I don't have a NAS, but I don't like USB either.  I believe there is at least one SPDIF port on it.

I'm wary of getting rid of my DAC though...especially if I plan on getting an nDAC or something later.  I'm actually less picky with DACs...I like Rega DAC, nDAC, etc.

So I'd lose Rega DAC, gain blu-ray, DVD, CD.  Not sure what hit my digital streaming would take.  I hate redundancy though.  I'm so OCD about that.

Yes on SPDIF, Coax and I believe asynchronous USB if that helps. I thought about buying a Rega DAC but to improve on the Oppo DAC but it'll cost $$$ to improve the SQ. At some point I will though when Naim gets their (internet) streaming ala Tidal worked out.

Posted on: 06 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

I think the 105 is a great machine.

I have used the 105 to stream music from my NAS into my main system amps, i.e. acting a streamer and DAC.....it is OK.

I do intend to listen to the 105 as a DAC using Coax from my NS01 and USB from my laptop. If I get the time I'll have a play this weekend and get back to you.

There is a journey here, could you borrow one for a few days? If 'yes' then I would consider this and have a listen, as only you can be the judge.

Any word on the sound test?

As for the Journey...I'm not a home theatre or surround junkie by any means...2 speakers for me.  But if I can get some synergy and not add another box (while adding a CD player and DVD) then it make sense.

While I'm an Avid stereoaudiophile and getting back into vinyl, etc...I still have other needs like DVD...but that market is a completely different and nearly separate thing.

Beyond a DVD player with good sound and possibly some CD play that's it.  no 5.1 or 7.1 or other bs like that.  I've had it and its just not my thing.

The other need is streaming video for the wife...so I'm perplexed.  But getting the 103 and trying it next to my DAC would seem like a logical direction without spending a mint.