Just squeezed the trigger on Oppo 103

Posted by: Sneaky SNAIC on 08 July 2015

Notice I didn't say pulled the trigger...I'm from Texas originally and we know enough to squeeze the trigger.

Anyway, folks told me not to get rid of the Rega DAC in favor of even an Oppo 105, and the CD player is not as good as something by Naim.

So I went cheaper and will route the audio through the Rega DAC.  Darbee is not high on my list of priorities.  Not a single person has said a bad thing about this player, but many have expressed the cost of the 105 and also the D was a let-down.

It's not the $100 I was looking for, but I expect the VFM on the Oppo 103 should be very good indeed since I do not have: Blu-Ray, DVD or CD player right now...steaming will be a bonus too.

P.S. I also ordered my wife a pair of shoes she wanted...they'll come together. *grin*

P.S.S.  The shoes were brand Ecco...so I got Oppo and Ecco, sounds like a Finnish child's story about  a worm and a crow or something.

Posted on: 20 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by Richard S:

This thread has prompted me to choose an Oppo. We had been watching films via an Xbox but post GCSEs my son reclaimed it for his room.

The advice on here was very helpful so I ordered the BDP-103 this morning. Will let you know my 'appenyworth!

Well, still waiting for your review!

Posted on: 25 July 2015 by spurrier sucks

Have you tried streaming music files with your new Oppo? If so did you use the app? If yes to that how is the app for streaming? Easy to navigate?

Posted on: 26 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by spurrier sucks:

Have you tried streaming music files with your new Oppo? If so did you use the app? If yes to that how is the app for streaming? Easy to navigate?

I've only done Blu-Ray, DVD, CD, Netflix and YouTube at this point, but I guess I should try it.

I did browse the network a bit.  Guess I'll play around with it some...

Do you live in South Carolina by chance?

Posted on: 28 July 2015 by Richard S

The player arrived 1 day before our summer holiday, hence this delay.  

I can see exactly what the fuss was about; everything about this machine exudes quality. It is much more solidly built than any other device I have used for playback. Only had chance to watch a few programmes so far but the pictures and sound are above anything I have experienced previously.

Posted on: 11 August 2015 by ewemon

Cannot recommend OPPO gear highly enough. Support and product quality is fantastic. Reminds me of NAIM in the early days.

Posted on: 12 August 2015 by MDS

I can see exactly what the fuss was about; everything about this machine exudes quality. It is much more solidly built than any other device I have used for playback. Only had chance to watch a few programmes so far but the pictures and sound are above anything I have experienced previously.

Glad to learn that you are pleased with it, Richard

Mike

Posted on: 12 August 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by MDS:

Glad to learn that you are pleased with it, Richard

Mike

If you are in the US (for now) the Public Beta has Tidal up and running if you are into Streaming.  Its pretty freaking cool. Its very fast and implemented well.

Posted on: 21 August 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by marcusman:
If you are in the US (for now) the Public Beta has Tidal up and running if you are into Streaming.  Its pretty freaking cool. Its very fast and implemented well.

Tidal is twice as much as Spotify, do they have a big library?

Posted on: 21 August 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:
Originally Posted by marcusman:

Tidal is twice as much as Spotify, do they have a big library?

Tidal's library size is around 25 million.  30 million for Spotify, or so I've been told.  Yes its twice the price only if you purchase the HiFi option which is lossless.  Its worth it for me. I find myself listening to Tidal over my NAS setup even for the same songs.  Yes its that good, I can barely tell the difference(its there but its pretty close). Since you have the Oppo 103 you can try the beta Oppo firmware that adds Tidal.  Perhaps signup for Tidal on the trial offer(I think they still offer lossless trials) and check it out.  Until Naim adds Tidal this is my preferred source for getting Tidal. 

Posted on: 24 September 2015 by jonesthegas

The new 4k players are due early next year. I wonder how long before we get a player from Oppo? Think I'll hang on to my 83SE and wait for one to turn up.

Martin