AV2 still relevant in 2016?

Posted by: Duncan Hills on 11 April 2016

Hi All,

First time poster, long time reader so be gentle please.  I searched and found the last time this question was asked was 3 years ago, so hoping it's ok to post this as a new post as things have moved on a little since then.

I'm moving out of London and to a house where i'll have the space to finally accommodate a HT system which has long been a dream since departing my original shores where space was in abundance. Perhaps naively i thought i'd need a whole new stereo setup to build a HT system before reading about being able to use my modest nait XS in conjunction with the AV2 and additional amps for the additional channels.  Having come to this revelation I was excited to read of the AV2, only to realise i was about 14 years late to the party. But, as it's NAIM it seems high quality and fits in with my current system, and what I feel are my requirements (5.1 surround). Unfortunately Naim stopped producing surround processors from what i can see.

My local dealer has one which is essentially new for around £600. I figure at this price if it was still relevant it would be a reasonable purchase as i've got a bit of thing for sticking to products with the same naim . I don't envisage going beyond this number of speakers (famous last words), so just wondered if those that have the AV2, or have had them find them still suitable with current content being released? Equally those that have had them and moved on i'd be interested to hear why/to what.  

I have to say a lot of my current content is from the likes of netflix, but also with a mix of BluRay which would obviously increase as the system is developed.  

Any advice from the wise and experienced would be most welcomed!

Posted on: 22 May 2016 by blythe

I simply ran an optical lead from Sky box to AV2 and one from BluRay player to AV2 and enjoyed the sound :-)

I used my HDMI switcher so that the sources could feed both TV and projector, without having to unplug anything. You'll receive an HDMI switcher with your AV2 ;-)

Posted on: 22 May 2016 by blythe

I should add, the AV2 instruction manual is not the easiest to understand.... Ask if you need help.

Posted on: 23 May 2016 by Duncan Hills

Blythe, very kind of you, I guess the Naim user/owner community is relatively small. You've prompted me to check my Blu-Ray source (currently my playstation whilst research continues) as I thought it only had HDMI out, fortunately it also has optical out. I will certainly take you up on the offer if I get stuck. Have to say it's been a pleasure so far dealing with you so far for anyone that may cross your path in the future. 

Posted on: 23 May 2016 by Phil Harris
Mark R posted:

Duncan,

I currently own both an AV2 and Oppo 103D. I use Netflix frequently and occasionally Blu-Ray. Not all content via Netflix is surround and none of it is HD and this is true of many streaming video services today e.g. HBO Now, etc., so for me the AV2 still provides good service.

I find the AV2 persuasive in its sound against the 103D. I have yet to try a 105D, but that is possibly where the balance is found. I personally find the 103D slightly inferior (less engaging, flatter) in its processing against an AV2 and, for me, I feel that is likely down to the combo of a digital volume, SMPS and the DAC in the 103D. The 105D has linear power supply, better DACs and Blu-ray (HD) sound processing capability (but is larger too). 

AV2s are not great candidates for servicing these days, so price that into your decision as well. The AV2 was, and still is in my opinion, a great machine for what it can deliver, but its time is slowly running out. That said, I'm keeping mine! When it finally conks out, I shall look for an alternative.

Happy hunting.

-Mark

I've yet to find a (reasonably priced) AV processor that comes anywhere close to my AV2 for being as engaging and immersive ...

I did borrow a 105 and found its surround performance to be probably more accurate (and it was nice to be able to decode the HD audio streams from BluRays) but ultimately found (IMO) that it traded involvement for accuracy. It kind of reminded me of being in an operating theatre - very white and sterile and I was very conscious of the sound coming from the speakers rather that being in the middle of what was going on.

Also the 105 won't do decoding of HD surround audio from the HDMI input so you can't use it as an AV processor for other devices such as media players that might produce HD surround audio. (I spoke with the Oppo guys about this at the time and they said that although technically it could do it they weren't looking at allowing it - I'm guessing that it would involve a different set of licensing or something like that - maybe that might have changed?)

I tried a Rotel 1752 AV processor - and just couldn't get myself to enjoy it at all.

I've got an Anthem MRX-710 in the setup at the moment which I'm using as a processor (I've actually pulled the power supply to the internal amps on it) and that's "not at all bad" IMO ... it's not as involving as the AV2 but it's lovely to have the convenience of it doing HDMI switching etc.

I'd like to try a Marantz AV7702 Mk2 but haven't been able to get hold of one to have a play with before parting with funds but I've heard good things about those ... Also someone on another thread on here commented on some £700ish Denon AVR as being very good too but again I haven't been able to get a listen to have an opinion of my own.

If you're going to use an AV2 (and there's no reason why not) then get yourself an HDMI switch that has an S/PDIF output (I have a couple of Octava ones) and then you can use that to pull out the audio for the AV2 and have the convenience of HDMI switching...

Phil

Posted on: 23 May 2016 by Duncan Hills

Thanks Phil, sounds like a common theme with the "feel" of the sound these produce. It's one of the reasons I chose the naim amplifier/cd player combo years ago, so hopefully it's going to be an extension of that same sound.  I'm looking forward to getting it setup over the next couple of weeks (still on the hunt for a sub and centre). I may get some height speakers for the front and rear installed in the ceiling for a future upgrade, at which point i'll revisit things.  I did look at the Octava switches but they are not an easy find in the UK. I'll see how i get on with what's arriving and go from there!   In your Tech Support capacity, is there any servicing of these products still taking place, or have all the parts dried up?

Posted on: 25 May 2016 by Felty99
Phil Harris posted:

I've yet to find a (reasonably priced) AV processor that comes anywhere close to my AV2 for being as engaging and immersive ...

I did borrow a 105 and found its surround performance to be probably more accurate (and it was nice to be able to decode the HD audio streams from BluRays) but ultimately found (IMO) that it traded involvement for accuracy. It kind of reminded me of being in an operating theatre - very white and sterile and I was very conscious of the sound coming from the speakers rather that being in the middle of what was going on.

Also the 105 won't do decoding of HD surround audio from the HDMI input so you can't use it as an AV processor for other devices such as media players that might produce HD surround audio. (I spoke with the Oppo guys about this at the time and they said that although technically it could do it they weren't looking at allowing it - I'm guessing that it would involve a different set of licensing or something like that - maybe that might have changed?)

I tried a Rotel 1752 AV processor - and just couldn't get myself to enjoy it at all.

I've got an Anthem MRX-710 in the setup at the moment which I'm using as a processor (I've actually pulled the power supply to the internal amps on it) and that's "not at all bad" IMO ... it's not as involving as the AV2 but it's lovely to have the convenience of it doing HDMI switching etc.

I'd like to try a Marantz AV7702 Mk2 but haven't been able to get hold of one to have a play with before parting with funds but I've heard good things about those ... Also someone on another thread on here commented on some £700ish Denon AVR as being very good too but again I haven't been able to get a listen to have an opinion of my own.

If you're going to use an AV2 (and there's no reason why not) then get yourself an HDMI switch that has an S/PDIF output (I have a couple of Octava ones) and then you can use that to pull out the audio for the AV2 and have the convenience of HDMI switching...

Phil

Hi Phil,

I went through a similar experiment using the Oppo purely as a pre/pro and agree with your thoughts that it is very transparent but trades accuracy for involvement. It's very impressive when you first listen to it but after a while becomes a little fatiguing. 

I think the issue is the AV2 was based upon a stereo pre-amp first and foremost with emphasis on musical performance. Most of the receivers on the market today come from a movie/AV perspective, with musical performance a long way down the priority list. 

I've tried an Audiolab processor and Marantz 8802 (the 7702s more expensive relation), and although the 8802 is a nice sound, it still lagged way behind my Naim system for music (272/XPS/250). 

It wasn't until I tried the Classe Sigma that I got close to the level of involvement as the Naim boxes. Used with Naim power amps, it is a spine-tingling piece of kit. I wrote up a fairly detailed comparison of the 8802 vs Classe a couple of months ago on another popular AV forum, which shouldn't be too difficult to find if you do a quick search.

The only downside with the Sigma is price at over £4k new. I suppose it wouldn't be far off the price of a AV3 if it was ever developed for HD codecs, given the AV2 was £2.5k when it was discontinued several years ago. However, it may be possible to get a deal on an ex demo unit. I know of one which is available through a Naim/Classe dealer in the North if you are interested, and happy to send details via PM.

Regards

Richard.

Posted on: 26 May 2016 by Mario

What about the Emotiva XMC-1 now with Atmos and HDCP 2.2 compatability and Dirac Live?  Looks promising and made in the states.

Any one heard it?

Mario

Posted on: 26 May 2016 by Eloise
Mario posted:

What about the Emotiva XMC-1 now with Atmos and HDCP 2.2 compatability and Dirac Live?  Looks promising and made in the states. 

Any one heard it?

Well not yet... Atmos (due Q1 2017 for $500) or HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 (due summer 2016 - no cost to original purchaser).  Of course those are target dates which if you've ever followed any Emotiva product in the past you know may have no bearing on when things are actually available / working.

So no, no one will have heard a XMC-1 with Atmos or HDCP2.2.

One a completely different note: one "nice" thing about Classe ... they keep parity between US and UK prices (UK price equals US price plus VAT) which gets them a big positive in my book.