Replacement for Pioneer Kuro

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 09 June 2016

The c.50" Pioneer Kuro has gone kaput !

I can hear a "relay" going click somewhere in the monitor when I switch on from standby with the remote, but a second or two later, the relay clicks again and Phut ! nothing.

The blue "on" light on the Media Receiver is blinking and I can't switch this receiver off or put it into standby unless I disconnect the mains plug.

The manual suggests I contact an authorised Pioneer repair department. Sounds expensive !

Any recommendations for a replacement television/monitor ?

Posted on: 30 August 2016 by Clay Bingham

Superb choice.

Posted on: 30 August 2016 by Don Atkinson

Got mine back last Tuesday. Repair cost was £330.

Probably worth it, but I will now be looking to replace the set when I think I can see a new model with a better picture and sound ........and hopefully more reliable than a repaired 10 year old set ?

Looks like CountD's new purchase could be a winner.

Posted on: 31 August 2016 by count.d

Thanks Clay. Been adjusting a few settings, generally absorbing tv broadcasts and watching blurays......the tv is sublime. Didn't think it would be this good. 

Posted on: 31 August 2016 by rackkit
count.d posted:

Thanks Clay. Been adjusting a few settings, generally absorbing tv broadcasts and watching blurays......the tv is sublime. Didn't think it would be this good. 

All sounds good Count. I'm guessing the new 4K UHD sets need the latest standards of HMDI to display the pictures? 

If so, i'll have problem as my 3 HDMI (1.3?) were buried in the wall to keep the installation as neat as possible.

Don't fancy having to dig them back out, re plaster 7 paint again! 

Posted on: 01 September 2016 by count.d

Racket, hdmi 1.3 doesn't support 4k, 1.4 supports it up to a certain frame rate and 2.0 supports the full 4k. I've bought a Monster black hdmi with the advantage they have a lifetime upgrade. Bought a Monster aerial cable too, but that felt a little bit ott.

Even watching Dragons Den on tv last night was so different. Crisp image, pure blacks and perfect skin tones. Sarah Willingham's pores particularly well defined. The image actually looked 3d and it wasn't even 4k.

So glad I didn't buy the Panasonic TX-L55WT65B 3 years ago.

Posted on: 01 September 2016 by staffy

I am about to give to my daughter my Q Media 4  Sound Bar.  Does the Kuro have an Optical port .  Its that long since I gave her the TV I have forgot.

Posted on: 01 September 2016 by Don Atkinson

Staffy,

I don't know and i'm in Canada at the moment so can't look at the kit or the manual.

Hopefully someone else can ?

Don

Posted on: 02 September 2016 by staffy

Daughter stuck her head around the back of the Kuro ....yep it has an optical out port.

Posted on: 03 September 2016 by Happy Listener
Don Atkinson posted:

Got mine back last Tuesday. Repair cost was £330.

Probably worth it, but I will now be looking to replace the set when I think I can see a new model with a better picture and sound ........and hopefully more reliable than a repaired 10 year old set ?

Looks like CountD's new purchase could be a winner.

Don - glad to read you got it fixed. I assume, like mine, they replaced the PS board etc = ~ £300.

I understand this should give a few more years life to the unit. I'm not looking to replace mine yet as the pace of evolution of the kit has been very fast and the Kuro still does the job well via Sky HD. Put another way I want a return on the ~£300 I spent ! It may be as age creeps, I will have to accommodate worsening eye sight with a better unit.

Posted on: 04 September 2016 by robgr

The subject of HDMI & 4k is a minefield and I have tried to get to the bottom of it myself, see here for a redacted copy of my email thread

Lots of confusion on this subject which vendors are taking advantage of I feel!

Posted on: 12 September 2016 by rackkit
count.d posted:

Racket, hdmi 1.3 doesn't support 4k, 1.4 supports it up to a certain frame rate and 2.0 supports the full 4k. I've bought a Monster black hdmi with the advantage they have a lifetime upgrade. Bought a Monster aerial cable too, but that felt a little bit ott.

Even watching Dragons Den on tv last night was so different. Crisp image, pure blacks and perfect skin tones. Sarah Willingham's pores particularly well defined. The image actually looked 3d and it wasn't even 4k.

So glad I didn't buy the Panasonic TX-L55WT65B 3 years ago.

Looks like i'm best waiting for HDMI 3.0 with full 8k HDR support before digging out the walls then count.d!!!?