Small 4K TV vs. iMac 27'' retina

Posted by: nbpf on 15 August 2016

Do you see any obvious advantages of a small 4K TV (say, up to 43'') against a 27'' retina iMac apart from size and cost?

Posted on: 19 August 2016 by Innocent Bystander
nbpf posted:

Thus, I need a new iMac or a TV. I have considered the possibility of buying a Mac mini and a TV (or a big computer monitor). But I am looking for a solution that I can easily get out of the way when not in use (I do not want to have a big black screen permanently in my living room). From this perspective, a new iMac or a TV seem a better option.  

I'm a bit confused because you say you don't want a big black screen but you're considering a new Tv (=big black screen). If that is a driving factor, and if watching on a 27" is adequate size wise, then the answer is obvious. But if you're wanting a larger screen, then TV with something like a Mac Mini as Ardbeg suggested would seem a reasonable way to achieve admirable internet access, or if funds allow a more modern mac notebook, and a TV, when you can stream from the Mac to the TV when you want, or otherwise use one or the other.

meanwhile Mac Mini solution adds a different potential dimension if the room is also your listening room, as with Audirvana on it you could have an excellent hifi rendering source (with internal music store if you want, so avoiding network concerns when streaming music), provided the DAC you use has either exemplary rf filtering on its input or you use a good isolator between. Audirvana not simultaneous with TV though, as for best performance it should be run in dedicated mode.

Posted on: 19 August 2016 by nbpf
Ardbeg10y posted:

Did you consider a TV + a Mac Mini? Recent Mac Minis do output 4k via HDMI and include audio. Quote from apple: 'Which type of audio works with Macs using HDMI?

Apple supports 8-channel, 24-bit audio at 192kHz, Dolby Surround 5.1, and traditional stereo output.'

TV + Mac Mini gives you all flexibility ...

Current mac mini support for 4k output is problematic, plese see http://www.macrumors.com/guide...ys-buyers-guide-mac/. Hopefully we will see new mac minis (and monitors) towards the end of the year or 2017. But I agree that mac mini + monitor or tv is, in principle, a good proposition. There is also a chance that Apple will come out with a new Thunderbolt display with integrated graphic card. If well done, this could be a game changer and an alternative to small TVs and iMacs, I think.

Innocent Bystander posted:
nbpf posted:

Thus, I need a new iMac or a TV. I have considered the possibility of buying a Mac mini and a TV (or a big computer monitor). But I am looking for a solution that I can easily get out of the way when not in use (I do not want to have a big black screen permanently in my living room). From this perspective, a new iMac or a TV seem a better option.  

I'm a bit confused because you say you don't want a big black screen but you're considering a new Tv (=big black screen).

Right, I should have been more clear on this point: I am looking for a device that I can easily get out of the way when not in use. An iMac or a small TV (max. 43'' and about 15kg) could be easily moved to another room when not in use. With larger TVs, this would be nearly impossible. Hence iMac or max. 43'' TV. Connection to the Naim DAC is via a 10m optical cable which I am already using with the current iMac and works fine.

I have seen that Sony is about to launch a new XD83 43'' model with triluminos display. Any experiences with the AndroidTV internet browser? It seems to be Opera ...

nbpf posted:

Right, I should have been more clear on this point: I am looking for a device that I can easily get out of the way when not in use. An iMac or a small TV (max. 43'' and about 15kg) could be easily moved to another room when not in use. With larger TVs, this would be nearly impossible. Hence iMac or max. 43'' TV.  

Might not suit, but what I did was instal a projector and drop-down screen. 4k would be ridiculously expensive, but HD not.

In my case, because I went for a screen to cover a large window and act as a blind as well it is large (nominally 160") and I choose to fill it completely, which provides a truly immersive cinema scale video presentation, yet out of use it is a long narrow white box about 4" high above the window, which is scarecely noticeable, and a projector mounted on the ceiling, although if wanted the projector need not be ceiling mounted and could easily be put away when not in use. However, there is fan noise from the projector: I don't notice it at all when watching films, but that is probably a result of the immersive effect - whether it would be an issue during quiet passages with material where the sound is more important than the visuals I can't say, but it is a possibility.

Posted on: 19 August 2016 by Eloise

I don't think this has been positioned as an alternative ... but how about neither.

Assuming you have a device which can play the Digital Concert Hall streams successfully (if not add a laptop for £400 from Tescos) ... why not forgo a fixed screen and get yourself a (cheapish) projector.  Something like the Epson EH-TW6100 which is on sale at Amazon for around £650 - £700 (depends what day you look) would bring the visual aspect of the DCH right into your room.  Ideally install a dropdown screen, but if you have a neutral, light coloured wall that would be sufficient.  Mount the projector on the opposite wall - spending more (such as the Epson EH-TW7200) will get you something which is more versatile in mounting but if you can be flexible the TW6100 will give you a great picture for the cost.

(Sorry just noticed Innocent Bystander said pretty much the same one post ahead ... well he's right!)

Thanks, IB, Eloise! Yes, I have thought about the possibility of buying a projector and I'll have to think about it again. There are some logistic problems (high ceiling, low hanging huge lamps, ...) and I would prefer a solution with minimal cabling and a single piece of equipment and I would have to buy a new laptop (my 4 years old Thinkpad is also struggling with the DCH contents since about half an year). But that would be a very flexible solution. Do you know whether synchronization of audio and video could be an issue in such a scheme? Thanks, nbpf

No reason why it should, and I haven't had any issues.

Innocent Bystander posted:

No reason why it should, and I haven't had any issues.

Great, thanks IB! Best, nbpf

Posted on: 23 August 2016 by Ardbeg10y

Small apoligies to nbpf, i've not been able to check the opera platform yet. My kids are fully posessing the telly these evenings ...

Posted on: 23 August 2016 by nbpf
Ardbeg10y posted:

Small apoligies to nbpf, i've not been able to check the opera platform yet. My kids are fully posessing the telly these evenings ...

Nothing to apologize about! I had a demo last Saturday and streaming from "theoperaplatform.eu" works fine on Samsung devices. Still (and in spite of a 19% discount on Samsung devices on that day) I have decided not to buy any TV set for the moment. I'll likely go for an iMac but wait until Sept. or Oct. Then it should be clear whether Apple is going to come up with a new Thunderbolt monitor or not. A monitor between 30 and 40 inches would also be an interesting option, I think. I also want to check the possibility of connecting a tablet (the DCH app on my wife's iPad works flawlessly) to a monitor. Best, nbpf 

Posted on: 29 August 2016 by nbpf

Thanks for your feedback and contributions! I have meanwhile checked the possibility of replacing the old iMac with a projector + laptop (or projector + bluray player) but a short demo suggests that this solution is not implementable in my living room.

I am still considering two alternatives to a new iMac: 1) a 40 to 50 inches tv set mounted on a self constructed base (to support pivoting the screen and moving the setup away from the living room when not in use) and 2) a solution based on a bluray player and a computer monitor.

On the latter: do you have any experiences on using a bluray player (e.g. Oppo BDP-103) in conjunction with a 27'' or 32'' computer monitor? Does a largish computer monitor (e.g. Viewsonic VP2780) have any obvious disadvantages (or, perhaps, advantages) in comparison with a small tv?

Posted on: 29 August 2016 by fatcat

Why not buy one of these.

Posted on: 29 August 2016 by nbpf
fatcat posted:

Why not buy one of these.

Because of the relatively high ceiling. Also, I do not find a huge box hanging from the ceiling aesthetically appealing. I would then rather go for a tv-based custom solution, for a new iMac or for a computer monitor. Any idea whether a Viewsonic VP2780 or an ASUS PA329Q would work well with an Oppo BDP-103 or with a Panasonic DMP-UB900?