New Virgin Box

Posted by: Daveas on 15 January 2017

Has anyone got the new Virgin V6 box?  Is it faster than the TIVO, as claimed?

Posted on: 14 February 2017 by james n
fatcat posted:

James.

The girl on the phone said the price was fixed for 18 months. But looking at the contract, the period states 12 months, but it also states the charge during the promotional period is £40 and the promotional period is 18 months.

Virgin’s pricing policy seems baffling to me. If they’d have sent me a letter saying they could extend the free line rental for a further 12 months’ I’d have quite happily continued paying £53 a month. But as it is I’m now paying £40.

Hi FC - Yes they are all over the place with it. Worse than an Energy supplier ! They will honour the loyalty discount for the period of the contract but will happily up the monthly service charge at the first opportunity. 

Posted on: 14 February 2017 by Ravenswood10
dayjay posted:

I phoned up to query my cost of 110 quid per month and they promptly dropped it to 94 quid, added in HD sport and film channels, increased my broadband speed to 200meg and added in free mid week calls.  He also gave me a number to call in October to have it reviewed again and gauranteed it will not go any higher at review.  I got two V6 boxes and a Superhub 3 included in the deal which have improved things no end

I dream of speeds like that - snaily old Openreach (the name's a joke!) only manage to get a claimed 8meg to me because I live 1.5 miles from a fiber-enabled cabinet. Evidently I'm in a hard to reach area (note the South East not the Outer Hebridies!!) and I'll probably be among the 5% of those in the UK with less than 10meg by the end of 2017. They may have a fix by the end of 2020! That's customer service for you. I've asked if they'll subsidise satellite BB but as I'm getting over 2meg they won't play ball nor will they reduce my mothly payments in recognition of such poor service. What an outfit.....customer service clearly doen't exist in the land of BT(Bloody Terrible).

Posted on: 17 February 2017 by rackkit
james n posted:
fatcat posted:

James.

The girl on the phone said the price was fixed for 18 months. But looking at the contract, the period states 12 months, but it also states the charge during the promotional period is £40 and the promotional period is 18 months.

Virgin’s pricing policy seems baffling to me. If they’d have sent me a letter saying they could extend the free line rental for a further 12 months’ I’d have quite happily continued paying £53 a month. But as it is I’m now paying £40.

Hi FC - Yes they are all over the place with it. Worse than an Energy supplier ! They will honour the loyalty discount for the period of the contract but will happily up the monthly service charge at the first opportunity. 

This is exactly what will happen hence the need to renegotiate with them when your contract runs out. It's tiresome but has to be done.

Posted on: 17 February 2017 by rackkit

Anyone else having freezing & wake up problems on their V6 boxes? Getting them quite often now. 

Posted on: 17 February 2017 by dayjay

Had a problem upstairs when the HDMI signal was lost after a couple of hours. Disconnecting the cable and reconnecting made it work again.  I swapped the box with the downstairs one to see if it was the V6 or the TV upstairs but ow both seem to be working fine.

Posted on: 18 February 2017 by Daveas

I got my V6 box yesterday. All good so far.

Posted on: 18 February 2017 by dayjay

They are really cool when linked up for multi room watching and streaming too

Posted on: 03 March 2017 by rackkit

My V6 box has been behaving itself the last few weeks so hopefully it was just a few running bugs that have sorted themselves out. 

Posted on: 04 March 2017 by Daveas

I've had the 'freezing' problem a couple of times too. Otherwise I'm very happy with the V6.

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by Eloise
dayjay posted:

The engineers appear to be paid by the box and they do the quickest install possible

Quite probably ... more of the "gig economy" at its finest!