Premium certified HDMI cables

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 26 July 2017

Seems all the big branded cable manufacturers have not brought out any Premium certified HDMI cables yet.  Although plenty are available online and in the consumer stores.

Any one tried one ?  

Most are cheap compared to lower spec branded.   So for £20 I've ordered one.  Shall see if it'll better what's used at the moment.

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by TOBYJUG

I think thx certification has been around for a while, and a subset of the High Speed with Ethernet classification. Any Premium' certified cable would surely be capable as downward compatibility is not an issue. As far as I know only cables with a Premium certificate are premium cables.        Good luck

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by nbpf

I have tested a 7.5m cable from "Ultra HDTV" and a 8.0m one from "Supra". Both worked fine between an Oppo 203 and a Sony KD-43XD8305, both in SDR and in HDR. I have tested the cables using DVDs, Blu-Rays, and jellyfish testfiles (http://jell.yfish.us/) up to 400Mbps.

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by Mike-B
nbpf posted:

............ I have tested the cables using DVDs, Blu-Rays, and jellyfish testfiles (http://jell.yfish.us/) up to 400Mbps.

The Premium Certified HDMI cable is a conformity compliance scheme & is concerned with verifying cable compatibility with 4K which requires a bandwidth of 18Gbps,  these cables are normally shown as HDMI 2.0     The so called High Speed cable (HDMI 1.4)  has a bandwidth of 10Gbps & handle TV 1080p.       Also announced this year is HDMI 2.1 which has a bandwidth of 48Gbps.

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by Finkfan

Im going to order a 2m Goobay for under a tenner from amazon. More than good enough for my Sky HD. I'll look into the 2.1 cables when they arrive. Must get a 4K Tv and Oppo bluray first. 

Posted on: 08 September 2017 by pete T15

How is the Goobay cable Finkfan ? I need to order a new HDMI this weekend for my Sky  .

Posted on: 08 September 2017 by Finkfan

Hi Pete. It's been a manic couple of weeks since then so it slipped my mind, only just ordered one. Expecting it by Monday  

Posted on: 09 September 2017 by pete T15

Same here , sure it'll be fine . 

Posted on: 09 September 2017 by Finkfan

Yeah I'm sure it will Pete. 

4k Tv up next, can't decide between my favoured Panasonic or a Samsung. 

Posted on: 09 September 2017 by pete T15

I've always had Panasonic , my Plasma is about 4 years old and still stunning pics  . i'll look at 4K probably next year once renovations are finished . 

Posted on: 10 September 2017 by Finkfan

I've got the 42GT50B. I've not seen anything to match it's colour accuracy (to my eyes). Unfortunately in our bright lounge it's a little dim for daytime viewing. Will post my findings on the Goobay when it arrives. 

Posted on: 12 September 2017 by pete T15

Mine is the 42GT60 and same feelings here , most people who visit comment on the picture quality and its a great looking TV to boot . The goobay has arrived and is absolutely fine !