65" TV -What are the recommendations ?

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 09 September 2017

The Kuro is still doing fine, but........

So what do you recommend ? It has to be significantly better than the Pioneer in every way. No compromise in that respect ! 65" seems about the right size, given the area of the Pioneer includes the frame and side speakers.

Cherrs, Don

Posted on: 18 September 2017 by Adrian_P

Thanks, Simon. I record HD TV to a Humax PVR which runs custom firmware so I can decrypt and save recordings to my NAS. I then usually play back from Kodi running on a LibreElecced Raspberry Pi 3. I don't think I can use 10-bit colour depth (I tried it on the PVR and Pi HDMI inputs and very strange things happened). I usually only record from BBC channels without ads, and these generally have decent bit rates, but problems like the Taboo opening titles might be related to compression/bit rate I suppose. But, good to know that calibration helps with dark scene resolution.

Posted on: 18 September 2017 by Ravenswood10

I frankly can't comprehend much of the terminology (I leave that to my ISF clalibrator who has set up 3 screens for me over the years) but I can confirm that I have no arifacts on my OLED as described either via a Sky  Q box, Apple TV or my Oppo 203. 

Posted on: 19 September 2017 by jon h
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

When my LG was calibrated, it was essentially the ISF settings that were calibrated... and this essentially addressed setting the gamma S curve for all three colours and luminance  across 20 intensity settings using a colorimeter .. as well setting the colour balance. These settings are under Picture Mode Settings/Expert Controls

Have Klein, can travel...

The whole curved thing is a con anyway. for two reasons: on the early 4k panels, the LED cell was much deeper than normal, and caused a narrower field of view from the front of the LED. If you moved your head side to side in front of the TV, you would see a vertical strip directly in front of you (wherever you were on the panel) that was brighter than the surrounding area. Caused by the reduced angle of projection from the deeper cell. Its a good test to do to a panel today -- most are much better. Curving came around as a way of bringing the sides more on-axis than they otherwise would have been. A fix for a fault, as it were.

Also, the cheaper chinese factories couldnt make curved panels at the time, so it was used as a a differentiator to keep high end brands expensive.

Between the two justifications, the money was on the latter with the former being a useful short term fix until the cell depth was reduced. 

Have just bought a couple of the 500 quid samsung 4k UHD 40" tv. Stunning value for money. 

Posted on: 20 September 2017 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I think we are talking about different curves...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function

I use Gordon Fraser...

Posted on: 27 September 2017 by Don Atkinson

I popped into John Lewis yesterday for a preliminary look-see.

I had hoped to compare 65" Samsung QLED and LG 65" OLED.

They didn't have a 65" LG OLED so I compared their 55" versions. The 55" Samsung QLED appealed to me more so than the 55"LG OLED.

The Samsung 65" QLED was more appealing than the 55" Samsung QLED.

However, they did have a 65" Panasonic OLED on display and this was even more appealing than the 65" Samsung QLED.

Has anybody else compared the 65" Samsung QLED; 65" LG OLED and 65" Panasonic OLED ?

The Samsung retails for c. £2,800; the LG for c.£2,900 and the Panasonic for c.£4,000

Posted on: 27 September 2017 by Emre

Anyone tested the W E B versions of LG lines.

as far I understand I am getting the same picture quality but the price is very different

any suggestions?

Posted on: 27 September 2017 by Don Atkinson
Emre posted:

Anyone tested the W E B versions of LG lines.

as far I understand I am getting the same picture quality but the price is very different

any suggestions?

Yes ! Prices from £2,900 to £3,500 to a whopping £7,000 !

Posted on: 28 September 2017 by Emre

lets go for the B then

Posted on: 28 September 2017 by JRHardee

I've been very happy with my 55" Samsung and basic Samsung Blu Ray player. It's not OLED, though. Keep an eye out for deals from Costco and Groupon. 

Avoid Samsung's balky wifi interface and hardwire your TV to your computer. We had wires run under the floor, and it was money well spent. We also found that Samsung would throttle or block any streaming services it found inappropriate for you to watch.

Posted on: 17 October 2017 by Emre

LG B7 65 Oled in the house.... it is fantastic, all different ball game than my 9 years old Kuro Plasma

Posted on: 25 October 2017 by Don Atkinson
Emre posted:

LG B7 65 Oled in the house.... it is fantastic, all different ball game than my 9 years old Kuro Plasma

Did you figure out the differences between W, E and B versions ?

Posted on: 06 November 2017 by piggy

Also bought LG 55C7 to replace an ageing 32" old Sony!

Stunning tv, everything about it from the remote to the amazing picture.even the sound is pretty good.

Going to have an electrician put in power sockets/ aerial and chase the cabling into the wall so I can wall mount.

Need 2 HDMi so going with 3 x 5meters and 1 spare, 1 Optical to feed a inexpensive DAC to 552 and maybe 2 CAT6 to connect directly to broadband router. 

Any other tips/recommdations as when the cableing is in the wall it will be fixed?

Will also replace an old Humux PVR with new Humux 1tb FVP-500 and keep PS4 for blueray/DVD duties.

Andy