Giving up on my Oppo

Posted by: Dungassin on 23 October 2017

Well, I'm currently on my second multiregion Oppo.  The first one (a 93D) lasted 5 years, had occasional hiccups when it wouldn't let me change bluray region, and eventually developed a terminal problem of skipping/freezing, which cleaning of heads etc didn't cure.

So, I bought no.3 (103D) 2 years ago.   Now this machine has got stuck on Region A for bluray, so won't let me play any UK blurays except those that are region free.  Totally unresponsive to the remote key region change setup (dimmer/dimmer/mute/number)

I've done all the usual things - unplug for a while, factory reset, made sure its firmware was up to date, but it's still stuck on Region A.

After some time searching I eventually found where I bought it from, and contacted them.   They'ld take it back but it will cost me for repairs etc.   As this machine has also started skipping/freezing (on discs which play perfectly on my Mac (DVDs), PS4, SWMBO's Panasonic bluray player) I think this one will also fail very soon.  So, I'm unwilling to throw any more money at it.

For now I've decided to use my PS4 for playback, and have ordered a new (fairly cheap) multiregion (DVD and bluray) Panasonic machine.   Incidentally, the picture on SWMBO's Panasonic which came 'free' with her Panasonic 3D TV looks just as good as that generated by the Oppo (IMO)

Bye bye, Oppo.

Posted on: 29 December 2017 by Ravenswood10
Super posted:

I have just ordered the Oppo 205 and think i'll just stick with the region it comes with...(B).

I've done the same with my Oppo BDPs and all is well and good. I did have some lip sync issues with the 203 when it first came out but these were soon fixed with firmware updates. I've since moved on to a 205 and it's the best player I've owned to date. Built like a tank and with great audio performance too. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. I've also found the UK customer service guys very responsive. 

Posted on: 18 January 2018 by Dungassin

As I promised, I report how my Oppo is getting on.

Thankfully I have had no problems since my last post.  Wish I knew why it misbehaved before.

Posted on: 18 January 2018 by MDS

That's good news, Dungassin.  I do though empathise with your desire to know what the problem is/was as without it there remains the nagging doubt that it will recur.  That said, I'm like that with computers. While my son is pretty good as fixing things he seems much less bothered about understanding 'why',  just accepting that the kit now works properly and that software/firmware glitches are just normal. I'm beginning to wonder if this is an age thing on my part.