Records can be a bit ploddy. I'm considering an AT-OC9/III

Posted by: Christopher_M on 26 January 2018

Hi All,

I have a Dynavector 20X2 Low on my Sondek. The phonostage is a Stageline S. This was all a great match when I had SBLs.

A fairly recent change of circumstance means I now have Allaes. I characterise them as having a fuller, looser presentation than the SBLs, especially in the bass and mid, whereas the SBLs were drum tight. The consequence is that I'm finding records a bit ploddy where once they weren't. I am wondering if an AT-OC9/III might now be the way to go.

What do you make of this idea please? And do you have any alternative suggestions? I don't really want to change either the record player or the phonostage.

Thanks.

Chris

Posted on: 18 February 2018 by Christopher_M

Thank you Max. As a result of my careful attention to setup and cleaning of LP12, I can confirm that my DV20X2Low, Stageline and Allaes smell of roses.

I won't be augmenting my balanced XS set with a used HC. At least not before I have an Armageddon on the Sondek

Best, C.

Posted on: 18 February 2018 by MDS

Second good result of the weekend then, Chris.  

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Christopher_M

To update the thread, today I have collected my Linn from my dealer and an AT-OC9 ML/II has been fitted.

I've only played five sides but so far I am very pleased. The snap that was missing has come back. It's clean and detailed and the timing seems great. I can certainly endorse the idea that this AT cartridge and a Stageline S are a good synergistic match.

Apparently there's more to come after it has all settled in after about 50 hours.

Thanks to all who contributed and to Richard who had the specific knowledge that it was the II and not the III that could be the better match with my Ittok LVII.

Perhaps best of all is how good my early eighties Linn now sounds (albeit with a Cirkus) with Valhalla, no corner braces, and a glued sub-chassis. Happy chap. Thank you.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by jlarsson

Yes, the MLII needs a bit of settling time and improves during this time. The MLII was my favourite cartridge, or perhaps I should say "is" as my downgrade to the NAC52 invites bringing back the LP12!!

The MLIII lost all the excitement.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I had an AT 0C9 mk1 on an ittok a couple of years back and really enjoyed it although mine was used just as a stop gap. I understand that you really like the synergy of the stage line but in your position I would be really tempted into trying another phono stage. IMO the cartridges you are using would really benefit from an upgrade of phono stage it’s a really important part of the signal chain and will really open things up. Just a thought for the future but for the moment just keep enjoying the AT OC9 a great Cart. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Christopher_M

But what if I was entirely happy with a Stageline S on Aux2?!

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

If your entirely happy with stageline then no need to change it at all. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Cheers Bob. Basically my thinking is that I would spend on getting stuff off the records first before I sweated the phonostage. To this end the long term plans are (in no particular order) metal baseboard, Armageddon, and Majik subchassis with improved fixings to my Cirkus armboard.

But the synergy is now right, so it is good as is. For now.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Here is a free upgrade. Remove the base and just use the feet. As there are mains voltages inside, make sure nobody sticks their fingers inside. 

Thanks but no. (and that's even with not having children or pets!)

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)
hungryhalibut posted:

Here is a free upgrade. Remove the base and just use the feet. As there are mains voltages inside, make sure nobody sticks their fingers inside. 

Nigel - I think you should have that removed.  Dangerous and surely in contravention.  Apologies if I seem over zealous. 

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Just so everyone is clear. Removing the baseboard is a well known tweak for better sound with the LP12.  However, it should only be done where an off-board power supply is being used, otherwise it cannot be recommended as it then exposes you (and others) to the risk of live mains voltages.

Within the context of my non corner braced, Valhalla Linn, my dealer yesterday suggested that the extra screws around the edge of the metal base board (maybe 12) would brace the plinth. Also that there is an earthing point, so even better. Plus it's only £160. Loose change parking money, in LinnWorld.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by sunbeamgls

Reading all of the above, had it been available at the time, it would seem that Lingo 4 should've been in the mix for consideration. Surely that would have a very significant impact on the timing capability of the system over Valhalla?

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Christopher_M
sunbeamgls posted:

Reading all of the above, had it been available at the time, it would seem that Lingo 4 should've been in the mix for consideration. Surely that would have a very significant impact on the timing capability of the system over Valhalla?

Quite true it would. On the other hand, my cost to change from one cartridge to another was £130.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Christopher_M

So, in conclusion, if you have a Sondek and a Stageline, an Audio Technica cartridge may be a very nice synergistic match   :-)