Minimalists on BBC4

Posted by: Salmon Dave on 03 March 2018

Charles Hazlewood met up with his (apparently) hero Terry Riley while filming in California and NYC for a two-parter about the minimalists (Riley and Lamonte Young of John Cale fame; part two = Steve Reich and Philip Glass).

Terry felt that the term minimalist was too - reductivist, leaving out too much of what makes some of their music so powerful to the right ears. One YouTube poster summed it up for me - 'Terry Riley has a happier muse than the other minimalists'...

Nice documentary anyway. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/...bfp6?suggid=b09tbfp6

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Bluebeard

Thanks for the kind offer Bruce, but As I inferred Iacquired it via Presto Classical as a Flac dowload. It is one of the great advantages of the digital (download) age - so many older/rarer recordings are becoming more accessible.

regards,

Giles

Posted on: 14 March 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Just bought Africa Express ‘In C’ and really enjoying it thanks to this thread. Hits my African* as well as Minimalist buttons. I bet it would be magnificent live. I have three other purchasess suggested by this thread to explore too. Thanks all.

Bruce

*Radio Wassoulou Int (Mali) on iRadio is great fun btw. 

Posted on: 14 March 2018 by Bluebeard

On two related tangents I'd suggest on the one hand the 3cd compo Ohm-the early gurus of electronic music1948-1980 which has selections from Reich, Riley, Oliveros amongst others. It places the Minimalist composers in an electronic framework rather than a classical one. It effectively points out that to achieve the levels of precision required in the composition, traditional instrumention takes a backseat to mechanical/electronic approaches. The essays and interviews from the 96 page booklet accompanying it may be found here. http://www.furious.com/perfect/ohm/index.html Well worth hunting down.

On the other I'd recommend David Toop's Ocean of Sound, both the book and the two cd compo (sadly out of print). These place the minimalists in an ambient context which echoes some of Steve Reich's view on his music reflecting the industrial nature of post-war America. The book also illustrates how other non-western music impacted on the conception and construction of ambient musics. The cd is one of the best constructed compilations created and has been mastered so that each track segues into the next.

Both of these approaches show how minimalism impacted music from elements other than compostional, being instrumentation and environment.

regards,

Giles

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

One album I had forgotten that is definitely worth adding to the list is Tindersticks: Ypres.

This is an sombre and beautiful piece that accompanies visitors to the WWI Museum in Ypres in a continuous loop.

Bruce

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by nickpeacock
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

One album I had forgotten that is definitely worth adding to the list is Tindersticks: Ypres.

This is an sombre and beautiful piece that accompanies visitors to the WWI Museum in Ypres in a continuous loop.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce - I must check this one out.

Posted on: 20 March 2018 by Nick Lees

In the spirit of “If you like early Terry Riley”, do try Jonathan Fitoussi. 

from the Polaris/Live album:

From the Imaginary Lines album:

Posted on: 21 March 2018 by Kevin-W

Just seen both episodes. Superb. Great to see Terry Riley looking so well (especially as I'm seeing him play live in June), and a real coup to get LaMonte Young in front of the camera.

Good to see The Frapp's Will Gregory involved too.

Posted on: 21 March 2018 by AndyP19
Kevin-W posted:

Good to see The Frapp's Will Gregory involved too.

Yes spotted him on keyboards - that was a great little band that Charles Hayward had there - playingin  what looked like an empty swimmming pool.

Wonderful programme.