Oasis in Hi Fi?

Posted by: Skip on 16 March 2018

I have discovered the iTunes podcast and have only today first enjoyed the BBC Desert Island Discs.   I feel as if I have crossed a vista from Red State America!  

I listened today on a long drive through the Delta and discovered Oasis.    I further read that most of their recordings sound compressed and lo-fii.   What do you Oasis fans recommend for a Naim-worthy listen?  I will probably buy the CD or the vinyl, but I don't need more than one or two.  

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Posted on: 20 March 2018 by Emre

Two great album that I bought in every format available to be disapointed

They sound great with my discman then with iPod 

they are not SL speaker cable material for sure

no remaster corrected it

still I play them a lot, they don’t do albums like that anymore...

Posted on: 24 March 2018 by Drewy

I love a bit of oasis on the radio when I’m at work or in the car but I never bother with them on my system at home, just sounds so bad on a decent system. 

Posted on: 30 March 2018 by Skip

Got my CD.   Two weeks delivery from UK.  Great music.   Sounds like crap on my 500 system.   Hope it sounds better in the car.

Posted on: 30 March 2018 by joerand

My guess is it will play more palatably in the car.

So much for the "source first" tenet.

Posted on: 25 April 2018 by HedgeBre

Skip - I know I’m very late to this thread, but, I grew up with Oasis music and am an avid fan. Sad to hear it sounds bad on a 500 series, but maybe that will save me $$ in the future as I’m at 282 level, maybe no need to go further  

Anyhow, the point of my post ? If you are interested in delving a bit further, get the “Familiar To Millions” live double CD. This in my opinion is how to hear them best, get the full live feeling, and the band fully in their stride, the best example of Oasis that I have heard.

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by Skip

Thanks for the tip.  It sounds like a winner on Spotify.  Found the import CD s/h on Amazon for under $5.  Will let you know.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Skip

Just arrived after a month in media mail never land.    Best Oasis tip I have had.  Truly outstanding.

My wife scolded me for playing it loud at home last night.   I think this one may be the one to crank it up.   She hates it so much on our home system, it must be great and it is destined for the car, at least temporarily.

Excellent tip.  Thank you all.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by HedgeBre

Skip - glad you like it, even if your wife doesn’t, a great great example of them live.. and yes bad production but the live feeling is amazing in my biased opinion.

Cheers..

Posted on: 20 June 2018 by Bodger

Skip, Toby,

Why not have both? The young 'uns showed respect to Mr Weller in spades.

See this YTube link. Not the best sound but you get the idea. One of my favourite songs also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mja6idZh-I

Dave