Jazz tips?

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 26 March 2018

I am awaiting the arrival of a used 2TB Liv Zen CD Ripper/Streamer which is basically an Innous Zen Mk1. It is apparently idiot proof but I have been known to be an idiot at times so wondered if anyone has any tips regarding software and ripping in general, I believe it uses the Logitech Media Server to stream Tidal etc but will I need a seperate programme to handle metadata?

My intension is to  build an extensive Jazz library by taking advantage of the very cheap CD's available but I am a bit of a newbie when it come to Jazz CD's for instance are there labels to avoid like  DOL and Doxy who turn out Cheap Jazz vinyl reissues that are just terrible.

Posted on: 30 March 2018 by Richard Morris

Ornette's Golden Circle recordings are desert island discs for me but I know what you mean about the harmolodic stuff.

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by Pigeon_Fancier

Thanks Richard. I wasn’t aware of Golden Circle (great cover photo and pretty cheap on CD). I checked the year of the Barbican concert and it was 2001 so will give Ornette another try with, let’s call them, my more mature ears...

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by GraemeH

I have an earlier edition and would thoroughly recommend you get this:

The Penguin Guide to Jazz On CD: 6th Edition (Penguin Reference Books

G

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by Bob the Builder

This weekend I have purchased 

Lee Morgan - Sidewinder & Candy RVG Remaster

Donald Byrd - Off to the races Japanese mini LP 24 bit RM.

Herbie Hancock - Taking off RVG Remaster

Oliver Nelson - blue the Abstract Truth RVG RM

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue & Sketches of Spain both Legacy Edition

all for a total of less than £15 inc p&p.

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by ALANP
Bob the Builder posted:

This weekend I have purchased 

Lee Morgan - Sidewinder & Candy RVG Remaster

Donald Byrd - Off to the races Japanese mini LP 24 bit RM.

Herbie Hancock - Taking off RVG Remaster

Oliver Nelson - blue the Abstract Truth RVG RM

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue & Sketches of Spain both Legacy Edition

all for a total of less than £15 inc p&p.

Bob ,apologies if he has already been mentioned but I can heartliy recommend the organist Jimmy Smith ,but I have only purchased his material on the Blue Note and Verve labels.

Alan

Thanks ALANP for the recommendation and as a matter of fact the only original 1st press Blue Note vinyl Lp that I own is The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special found in a second hand shop last year and I still have'nt given it a spin but after your recommendation I shall dig it out and play it.

I know what some of you mean when you say that something that can sound very strange the first few times you hear it can later on sound beautiful, I found that to be the case with In a Silent Way and I found that if I picked one instrument and just listened to that instead of trying to listen to all of the instruments at once  perhaps                                                                                  just the trumpet or the guitar then all of the rest of the instruments seemed to fall into place around them, I even listened to Bitches Brew again last night and it began to sound like music to me for the first time.  

There are some musicians though like Ornette Coleman that just leave me frowning however much I try to listen and make sense of what it is they are playing.

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by Clive B

Bitches Brew is worth at least another play. Then I'm sure you'll get a bit more of it. Each time will get easier and more familiar. Then you'll suddenly find that you're humming parts of it to yourself. Before you know it you'll be hooked!

As for Ornette Coleman try listening to the album 'The Shape of Jazz to Come', particularly the opening track, Lonely Woman.  It is a wonderful piece.

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by Clive B

By the way, if you haven't heard or already got the Bill Evans Village Vanguard albums, 'Waltz for Debby' and 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard', then these are must buys. They are possibly, no, unquestionably, the finest jazz trio albums.

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by ALANP
Bob the Builder posted:

Thanks ALANP for the recommendation and as a matter of fact the only original 1st press Blue Note vinyl Lp that I own is The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special found in a second hand shop last year and I still have'nt given it a spin but after your recommendation I shall dig it out and play it.

If you enjoy this I can point you in the direction of a couple more without going over the top!

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by Pigeon_Fancier

Just finished second listen of Ornette’s Golden Circle gigs. Really enjoyed it. A great trio, great recording and mix of mood/tempo etc. Wish I had bought the vinyl but the 2x Bluenote CDs are cheap - for those like me who were hesitant,  more than worth the small investment risk. 

Thanks Richard M for the recommendation. 

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by Ebor

A few years ago, I posted this list which I think might help. From what the OP’s said so far, I’d suggest starting with the 1955-1966 period.

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...nded-jazz-recordings

Mark

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3819975427_10.jpg

This is going to drop in May. Has got lots of young jazz heads spinning in anticipation.