Please recommend a good DtoA to connect Optical audio output from my Samsung smart TV to my NAC52

Posted by: ken c on 15 April 2018

Hi guys,

As per title. we have changed ur TV from an old Panasonic that used to have analogue output to a Samsung which has optical output. I intend to but a DtoA so I can then connect the RCA to the DtoA and get better TV sound from my Naim system. I have seen a few such devices on Amazon etc ... but I would obviously want to get something of good sonic quality. I'm sure you guys have a lot of experience in this so would appreciate some suggestions please. any questions, clarifications, just ask away... 

Many thanks...

enjoy

ken

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Filipe

The HDMI to RCA box should do what Ken needs. The stuff on the web is not very specific. Maybe the box does contain a DAC. ARC seems to allow the tv remote to control the volume as well. 

Phil 

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Eloise
Filipe posted:
DC71 posted:

Doesn't hdmi only carry digital, even for the audio return channel? If that is the case then an HDMI switch with analogue rca outputs must contain a cheap DAC chip too, or have I missed something?

DC61, you could google HDMI - ARC (Audio Return Channel). I understand it takes the anologue sound that the tv uses for internal speakers and makes it available externally. The tv has to support ARC and the socket should be labelled. The benefit is probably that it provides more channels than left and right through a single connector.

I believe [@mention:31133010783678037] is correct here.  ARC is a digital signal (afaik) so any HDMI switch with analogue outputs contains a DAC.

In my experience ... a optical output is going to be as good as using ARC and causes much less complications and issues of incompatibility.

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Filipe
Eloise posted:
Filipe posted:
DC71 posted:

Doesn't hdmi only carry digital, even for the audio return channel? If that is the case then an HDMI switch with analogue rca outputs must contain a cheap DAC chip too, or have I missed something?

DC61, you could google HDMI - ARC (Audio Return Channel). I understand it takes the anologue sound that the tv uses for internal speakers and makes it available externally. The tv has to support ARC and the socket should be labelled. The benefit is probably that it provides more channels than left and right through a single connector.

I believe [@mention:31133010783678037] is correct here.  ARC is a digital signal (afaik) so any HDMI switch with analogue outputs contains a DAC.

In my experience ... a optical output is going to be as good as using ARC and causes much less complications and issues of incompatibility.

Yep, I use optical out and enjoy stunning tv sound. Phil 

Posted on: 07 May 2018 by Foot tapper

Hi Ken,

We use a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100 fed from our Samsung QLED tv via optical toslink, then out via RCA sockets and a regular analogue interconnect into the NAC52.

It works a treat for us at a UK cost of around £100. One day, we may use a superior DAC but for now we just don’t feel the need.

Hope this helps, FT