Have you ever bought an album, simply becuase you liked the cover, and did you grow to like the music?

Posted by: Klyde on 21 April 2018

I've just liked an album posted by Bert, because I like the cat on the cover! I've also added it to my Tidal albums list for audition later. I realised this might be fun to do this, as now rarely buy albums without listening first.

My first album to get this 'treatment' was Vangelis - Albedo 0.39, which became a family favorite, as the first non-classical album in the house. The second was Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy, which sadly, but not unexpectedly didn't go down well with my parents!

Posted on: 11 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Japtimscarlet posted:

In my teens I used to buy albums exclusively on cover art...and when I found an artist I liked...and there were many ...I bought there other albums ( but not on cover art)

Many of these old albums are still in regular play ( I'm sixty now ...all bar a few months) so cannot have been that bad a stratigy

Only old band I really fell out of love with was cheap trick ...

Wow, that was risky! I didn’t dare blow my money without knowing I liked - but certainly the covers very much were what led me to try and thus discover bands.

Posted on: 12 May 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

I can imagine a few of the early Roxy Music albums picked up some addition sales on the basis of the album covers.

Back in the day I bought ‘country life’ purely for the music of course...

Posted on: 12 May 2018 by MDS
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

I can imagine a few of the early Roxy Music albums picked up some addition sales on the basis of the album covers.

Me too, wenger. What else could possibly have attracted young men to this album?

Posted on: 12 May 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

Me too, wenger. What else could possibly have attracted young men to this album?

Dare I say the bushes.............behind the two ladies..of course ????

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Olly

Yes, I still really don’t know why a Citroen DS features on this cover though.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Olly

Here’s another successful gamble.