Prince Harry's Wedding

Posted by: joerand on 18 May 2018

Does anyone outside of the UK give this much consideration?

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by JamieWednesday

Mighty piece of organisation and show. Someone even remembered to switch the weather on. 

Though the Episcopalian dude is milking it a bit...

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by fatcat

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it. I have to spend all afternoon watching stage 14 of the giro. Looking forward to the finish on the mighty Monte Zoncolan.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Richard Dane
JamieWednesday posted:

Oh, he's great.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Richard Dane

My Jack Russell, Louby lou, rather enjoyed this piece on BBC news;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/u...lay-harry-and-meghan

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
JamieWednesday posted:

I agree, someone didn’t look too amused, and did I see Charlie giggling.........

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Kevin-W

I'm rather an agnostic on the Monarchy. I'm not a monarchist, but not a republican either.

In fact in the UK, there's very little point in wasting time on republicanism as the Queen is incredibly popular, and with Wills/Kate and Harry/Meghan, that popularity is sure to continue (Charles I'm not so sure about, but he probably not be on the throne very long as the Queen seems indestructable) for some time to come. 

Have to admit that I think 'The Firm' is too big and needs to be slimmed down a bit and I'm not a fan of the huge amount of coverage etc, and especially not the fawning one gets in some sections of the media, but I'm just not convinced abolishing the monarchy will either a) save any money; or b) make ours a more mature democracy.

And far better someone like the Queen, who is at least driven by a sense of duty, as head of state than the likes of Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Blair or Branson.

Just switched the telly on for a quick peek. That Harry's a lucky boy. Meghan Markle is, as the youth say, fiiine...

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Fabio 1

Me.I don't know all the rest of Italy but I like these ceremonies.I like English Cathedrals an Churchs a lot.Hope there will be an Statement among  Harry's presents...

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Don Atkinson
JamieWednesday posted:

Mighty piece of organisation and show. Someone even remembered to switch the weather on. 

He was well animated, you couldn’t ignore him. Although Charles did seem to be at risk of nodding off once or twice.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Jeff Anderson

I watched it and enjoyed it.  My ancestry is 75% English and their have been times in my life when I feel a "connect" to that cultural heritage that I can't explain.  I wish them happiness.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Clay Bingham

Just viewed a recap, which would seem the perfect way to watch, and you British put on quite a show, as only you can. Absolutely beautiful. Perfect weather and a very good time seemed to have been had by all. 

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Hook
docmark posted:

Are those hats (above about 7 images) for real?

From a millinery perspective, the only event that comes anywhere close to a Royal Wedding is the Kentucky Derby.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I have been trying to get my head around my ambivalence, or rather mild hostility to this lovely scenic pageant in the sunshine.

I have concluded it was a conjunction of three of my least favourite things. Royalty, Religious establishment, and the Military.

All of which seem to share hypocrisy, inequality, elitism, a failure to modernise and...well you get my drift.

I guess Harry and his brother at least had relatively ‘real’ military careers (unlike the previous generation) but did they have to appear in uniform?

I am more than ever a passive republican.  I do not wish to burn down the Palace or behead the Queen but I think I would be quite happy if they all just drifted off or at the very least downsized in every possible way; preferably before Charles gets to do or say more stupid things.

I genuinely hope the couple enjoyed everything about their day, after all I paid for some of it. Do I get a slice of the cake?

Bruce

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by kuma
Hook posted:

I’ll watch just for the fascinators.

Good god that's awful.

They've got that peculiar inbred look,too.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Ardbeg10y

One of the trumpettists career has come to an end.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Don Atkinson
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I have been trying to get my head around my ambivalence, or rather mild hostility to this lovely scenic pageant in the sunshine.

I have concluded it was a conjunction of three of my least favourite things. Royalty, Religious establishment, and the Military.

All of which seem to share hypocrisy, inequality, elitism, a failure to modernise and...well you get my drift.

I guess Harry and his brother at least had relatively ‘real’ military careers (unlike the previous generation) but did they have to appear in uniform?

I am more than ever a passive republican.  I do not wish to burn down the Palace or behead the Queen but I think I would be quite happy if they all just drifted off or at the very least downsized in every possible way; preferably before Charles gets to do or say more stupid things.

I genuinely hope the couple enjoyed everything about their day, after all I paid for some of it. Do I get a slice of the cake?

Bruce

I think the income from the Crown Estates more or less balances the Civil List. So the taxpayer isn’t put to any great expense, if any.

The security cost for today will probably be bourne by the taxpayer. I think Thames Valley Police and others have indicated c. £6.7m which averages out at about 10p per head of the U.K. population.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Bob the Builder

Watching Charles and Co squirming whilst a black preacher did his thing  was quite enjoyable especially the reference to the slave trade (although a Roman Catholic Irish priest would have been better) and all those millionaire celebrity 'commoners' squashed together in the cheap seats  like that human Spitting Image puppet Nicholas Soames being forced to sit next to Posh 'n' Becks was also worth a look.

However I could quite easily live without all of them and everything they stand for.  No human being because of an acccident of birth should 'rule' over or even be considered 'better' than any other as far as I'm concerned it is outdated and irrelevant in a modern society.                                                                                                             

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by thebigfredc

It looked a good gig.

Those not into it can console themselves with the prospect that it will likely be 25 years or so until the next one (George, Charlotte or Louie).

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

I love these occasions when the republicans amongst us have to go and sit in a darkened room and cry into their beer.   

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by u77033103172058601

No, I cut the grass, cleaned another couple of cars and we both did some stress-free shopping. It's good to have these times when the sheep go inside for a few hours.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Mike Hughes

Someone got married?

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and the expression of same.  But I can only read some comments in this thread and the resulting way some commenters are representing themselves as truly disgusting, and severely disappointing when taken in light of how I had apparently mistakenly viewed some of these contributors in the past.  My failing I am sure.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Though I am republican, I do think it was a nice and very inclusive marriage. By inclusive I mean that it reflects the diversity as present in society. Being organist, I don't like sermons, but this guy was fantastic. Pretty cool and full of courage to show the royal family that mirror and giving them a message of hope. I had to think of the funeral of lady Di.

Enjoyed Rutter. The descending bass was a thing I did not notice before in that blessing.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Don Atkinson
Don Atkinson posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Bruce

I think the income from the Crown Estates more or less balances the Civil List. So the taxpayer isn’t put to any great expense, if any.

The security cost for today will probably be bourne by the taxpayer. I think Thames Valley Police and others have indicated c. £6.7m which averages out at about 10p per head of the U.K. population.

Ooopps................the Mail on Sunday put the cost of security at £30m. So, assuming this will be funded from the public purse, that's more like 50p per head.

I still don't feel cheated or upset in anyway whatsoever. It was a good day.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by NickSeattle

From my perspective, in my native outpost in the northwestern US, I admire the grace and evenness of duty delivered by the Queen and her immediate family.  I would not be so good natured as they seem to be, on the whole, and across so many years.  

With some notable exceptions, oligarchs in North America generally get off easy when it comes to national service.

Bless the newlyweds.  Since we are all watching, may they find joy in setting a good example, and helping others, according to their gifts (and may I do likewise, though few are watching me.)

Nick

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by docmark

As chance had it, I was awake in Vancouver when the wedding was happening.  Took the opportunity to catch up with Britain's Got Talent on You Tube.