Does Anyone Give a Toss

Posted by: thebigfredc on 23 May 2018

Ahead of the start of the summer test cricket season, I see the authorities are thinking of changing the rules so that the visiting team have automatic choice whether to bat or bowl first.

Agnew is set against it, what does the forum think?

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I agree something has to be done for this format. I'd suggest an urgent change before the last game of the series in Manchester; larger boundaries, maybe bowlers can deliver from 18 instead of 22 yards. How about one hand, one bounce for catches? All might make it fairer.

All just for when England are batting of course

Bruce

(Where is Nick-from-Suffolk these days??)

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Happy Listener

What about a handicap system where the boundary is decreased for one team? Thing is though, when playing the Aussies in Test matches in Oz, it'll be set at the 30-yard ring point when England bat!

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Seriously a bit of thought probably does need to go into the ODI formats to bring bowlers back into the equation. I'm not sure what the boundaries were like at Trent bridge but some of the T20 ones are daft. They look smaller than my club; especially when you see consider razor cut outfields vs our lush meadow!

The issue with the white ball seems to be that it has a poor seam and also swings less. Using two just gives batsmen a harder ball for longer. I think the lacquer/structure needs thinking about. Interestingly the pink ball seems to swing OK and we have found that at our club too.

The main problem to me seems to be the wickets.

A ideal Test wicket has time to develop and then wear over several days. The ODI strips don't get that progression so I think they are making flat and hard strips of choice. Time to leave a little green on, or maybe use a strip more than once? Lower scoring games can be thrilling too.

It cannot be denied that T20 and ODI batting skills and attitudes have enlivened Test matches too. I think 4 day Tests are now entirely reasonable on most continents due to faster scoring and more attacking play. I want the boundaries to remain big at Test matches and wickets to have something for bowlers though. Not always the case even in the last Ashes.

Back to the England ODI team. I hope they can maintain this momentum. Would Stokes/Woakes even get a place in the side now if fit? There is something really exciting about watching a team playing with such skill and confidence and absolutely no fear.

Bruce

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Happy Listener

Bruce,

I agree - but I'm not sure whether the paying public wants to see more of a contest between bat and ball(?). I do and, doubtless, we've both played club games on very flat tracks which are very dispiriting for bowlers (me!). IIRC, the suggested format/outline for the 100-ball games (sounds a nonsense to me) is founded on hitting & boundaries as the primary entertainment factor.

Athers' piece in The Times yesterday posed the question of who will want to take up bowling if things continue to the skewed towards batters...only Trevor Chappell need apply. He also thinks the 2nd new white ball at 34 overs in ODIs should be dispensed with, given it just goes quicker off the bat and offers the bowlers little.

I understand the ICC control the pitches at ODI WC's, so we might see some more balance when the chips are down - noting the Aussie's should have a better team in 2019.

Above said, I watched an Aussie  BBL game a while back where the track offered a lot of turn and the team batting first struggled to ~70 all out (IIRC). The opposition were something like 50-7 (or 7-50). It was fascinating to watch batters who had no clue what to do. 

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Eloise
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Seriously a bit of thought probably does need to go into the ODI formats to bring bowlers back into the equation. I'm not sure what the boundaries were like at Trent bridge but some of the T20 ones are daft. They look smaller than my club; especially when you see consider razor cut outfields vs our lush meadow!

The problem with Trent Bridge is that the ground is stuck on a corner surrounded by development / fairly major roads.

Google Maps shows the problem well... https://goo.gl/tMCYPQ

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Eloise posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

The problem with Trent Bridge is that the ground is stuck on a corner surrounded by development / fairly major roads.

Google Maps shows the problem well... https://goo.gl/tMCYPQ

Lovely ground. I lived in Nottingham for 6yrs.

The ground is a perfectly reasonable size but often the boundary markers are pulled in substantially to demarcate a smaller playing area. Not sure if that was the case this week from just watching TV highlights. Last T20 I attended at Headingly must have been 15-20m all round they brought the boundary in.

Bruce

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by MDS

Well done, Buttler.  5-0.  Let me type that again because I enjoyed it.  5-0!!!

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Happy Listener

Well, that was a close one! I thought Buttler had erred towards the end when he left Jake Ball to face quite a few balls and it was great to see the crowd applauding Jake for playing out a maiden from Agar. Such fine margins and high drama in what was quite a low scoring game. The England top order batters should be the ones buying the refreshments tonight - 27-4!

India up next, which could prove far more testing with Kohli, Dhoni and co.