It's Hugely quiet ?

Posted by: james n on 29 May 2018

Where's Huge ?

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Don Atkinson

Thanks for the update Huge, and I'm pleased to know your condition is improving back towards "normal" (as you put it !)...............a slight overrun might (just) be accpetable, but nothing too drastic

get well soon

Cheers, Don

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by MDS

I wish you a prompt recovery, Huge. Looking forward to your regular contributions on here picking up soon.

Mike

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Gazza

Huge, sorry things were not a bank holiday break.......wish we could organise some hifi afternoons where you live...I live too far away.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Clive B

Like others, I too look forward to the return of the 'slightly crazy' Huge.

Huge, I enjoyed meeting you in April and wish you a speedy return to health.

Clive

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Here’s wishing you well, including rebuilding confidence in the (publicly funded) medical profession. Unfortunately despite the undoubted best intent of most, things will sometimes either go wrong, or be against our desires and expectations.

Here’s also wishing you a speedy return to form.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by dave marshall

Let me join the others in wishing you aw ra best, and a return to your erudite and often witty posts, which are greatly missed here. 

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Huge, it sounds like you are taking control of what ever it is you need to.. hope it goes the right way for you... look forward to you being back here when good and ready... 

Simon

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Minh Nguyen

I wish you a speedy resolution my dear polymath.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Eoink

Best wishes Huge.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Ardbeg10y

... and I have still much to learn from you, mate.

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by tonym

Best wishes on your progress to recovery Huge, we've missed you. Don't forget, if you're passing...

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Huge

Not really sure of my judgement as yet, but recovery does seem to be progressing well - at least the magic has returned to my writing (pun intended).

Here's an extract from the fantasy game I'm writing...

4.a   The Arcadia of the Seelie Court

The world around you is a place of fantastic fairy-tale houses, people dressed in finery made solely from their imagination; bright greens, reds, whites and gold abound.  The scene is brightly lit by the noonday sun, and yet the temperature is pleasantly warm but not too hot.  There are dogs and cats that talk, trees that look like broccoli who murmur gossip all day and give weather forecasts when asked (and they’re never wrong, even if asked about the mundane world!).  There are many birds with beautifully coloured plumage that flit between the trees like butterflies, dancing lightly in the scented air and singing cheerful songs.

If you stay long enough you’ll find that, in the evening, the birds sing lullabies and that night-time is never truly dark, dusk seems to last through until dawn.

See the Map of the Seelie Realm.

The palace itself is a castle built of improbable architecture raised to impossible heights atop a low a hill, surrounded by a triple ring of towering trees.  The trees either side of the ceremonial entrance are particularly magnificent, decorous with many shades of green and shot through with golden veins; even among this exalted company of trees, these ones stand tall and proud.

4.b   The Arcadia of the Unseelie Court

A dark ‘Gothic horror’ scene presents itself, formed in a deep forest of twisted trees and thick tangled undergrowth, the houses (such that you see) appear as little more than mounds.  The wind through the trees forms a slow doleful chant laden heavy with foreboding.  The scene is lit by a full moon that seems much brighter than you would expect and appears to hang far too large in the sky.  A pervasive night chill runs through the air thick with the musty scent of the forest.  The people here are wearing dark colours, muted greens, greys and blues trimmed with silver adornments that occasionally flash in the moonlight.  Small lizards scuttle through the undergrowth coming from places unknown and heading no-one knows where.

If you stay long enough you’ll find that dawn here breaks tentatively almost as though the sun hardly dares show its face above the horizon, not wishing to disturb the pre-dawn mists.  Even at midday, there’s little more than the wan light of a tin sun giving barely enough heat to lift the night time’s chill.  Yet through this is wound a thread of contentment, you know this should be disturbing, even worrying or frightening, but while those emotions flow so does a sense of home; you feel that strange combination of both common purpose and tension that’s the very essence of family life.

See the Map of the Unseelie Realm.

The palace appears as a large misshapen mound that can never breach the rim of the basin in which it lies.  It’s sunk into a depression in the land, skulking in its hollow, surrounded by a knotted hedge of impenetrable thorn.  The entrance to this sinister place is closed by tangle so dense that not even a fly could find a route through, and yet when the palace guard command, the thorns part just enough to allow passage.

I did say "normal" (OK, just slightly crazy) state.  

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Suzy Wong

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. 

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Hook
Suzy Wong posted:

I loved Adventure when it first came out!  Xyzzy!

Good luck with your game, Huge.  Hope you have great fun building it!

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Huge

Except that I'm not writing computer games.

This one's a short and simple "taster" game to introduce people to the RPG system I've designed and written.
It's actually the second game for this system, the first was the one was a much more complicated scenario I used to play test the system.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

That's quite Kings Quest. Loved that.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
Hook posted:
Suzy Wong posted:

Indeed - and do you remember Hack! - played on a unix VT220 terminal - bizarre how frightening an '@' could be when it appeared in your dungeon.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Huge

One of the twists in the game is the difference between the Seelie Court and the Unseelie Court (or the Spring / Summer / Autumn / Winter Courts for that matter) ...

There actually isn't any difference: it's just a matter of how the person concerned looks at Arcadia and interprets the actions of the Fae.  (To the Fae, everything is mutable anyway!)  The difference is entirely in the mind of the beholder.

The players and characters in the game will quite quickly come to realise this.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Huge
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
Hook posted:
Suzy Wong posted:

Indeed - and do you remember Hack! - played on a unix VT220 terminal - bizarre how frightening an '@' could be when it appeared in your dungeon.

It's about the only computer game I ever played!

I loved Rumours...   "Rumour has it that rumours are just rumours."   

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Resurrection

I played Eve for almost 10 years. It's a mixture of raw blooded anarchy, massive alliances plus pure Capitalism. It was quite rightly described as electronic crack cocaine. Not necessarily being the best or a very trusting team player, I took it as far as I could single handedly. The scale of the thing is immense. A single ship can take 6 months to build and cost 5 times the amount I personally acquired in ten years.