Erotic music

Posted by: Innocent Bystander on 06 July 2018

Some music is written to be erotic, i.e. to conjure erotic images or thoughts or feelings. Three that immediately come to mind are:

Je t’aime (or rather Je t’aime ...moi non plus to give it its full name), a single released by Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg, famously banned from airplay by the BBC, thus promoting greater public interest.

Erotica from the album Revelation by Man

My game of loving from An Electric Storm by White Noise

One thing these three have in common is what is politely called ‘heavy breathing’. And, curiously, all hail from 1969 - there must have been something in the air! (Maybe that was what made Randy Newman write the song with that name, released that year...!)

Other music might not have been written to be erotic, though has popularly been considered to be, or has been made to be by association such as through its use in a popular film - Ravel’s Bolero comes to mind, brought to fame (notoriety?) by the film 10, with the Dudley Moore and Bo Derek characters making love to its rhythm.

There must be loads more out there, so any contributions (with explanations as to why erotic if not immediately evident)?

Posted on: 11 July 2018 by JamesN

You can’t help but feel in the mood when listening to Enigma - MCMXC a.D

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Peet

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Nick Lees

This being a Forum populated by nicely brought up Ladies and Gentlemen, it looks like it’s up to me to lower the tone and introduce Rammstein’s Pussy, a wonderfully banging tune (hah!) that, if you’re prepared to walk on the wild side, has a fully XXX video featuring the band demonstrating the joys of the lyrics (some body doubles were used).

And no, I’m not going to post it.

Oh, and Til Lindemann’s solo album Skills In Pills is just plain coarse (and musically disappointing too).