Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Come on City - Can't wait for the start of the Prem......not long to go.

Can't see anyone stopping City from a successive title this season.   .......

Liverpool?

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by wenger2015

Liverpool look a class act.... they have been very impressive pre-season 

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Yeah Liverpool are class.City couldn't beat them last season in the league and Champions league.If they don't win the EPL they will be right up there - No doubt at all

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Xenasys

TBH Liverpool were up there last season just cant seem to nail their consistency issues but could be an interesting season !!!

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by MDS

In my view Liverpool need to tighten up at the back and develop a habit of grinding out results when they are not playing well before they can really challenge City for the title. Great to watch when they are on song but prone to defensive lapses which cost valuable points. 

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Fabio 1

As a Milan ac old fan I welcome Paolo Maldini back home.Hope he's working well with Leonardo as a manager.Also happy we are admitted to Eufa League.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by ALANP
dave marshall posted:

Great start to the season for Leeds, beating the bookies’ favourite for promotion this afternoon.

Looks like our new manager has got them playing, at long last. ????????

Dave, whats your view on signing Bamford from our lot?.He looked sick as a chip stuck on the bench in one photo.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by fatcat
MDS posted:

In my view Liverpool need to tighten up at the back and develop a habit of grinding out results when they are not playing well before they can really challenge City for the title. Great to watch when they are on song but prone to defensive lapses which cost valuable points. 

Man City’s success last season was down to exceptional form of De Bruyne, the season before he wasn’t exceptional and City wearn’t very successful. Who knows, he may have an off season.

The same with Liverpool, without Salah they’d have probably finished outside the top 4. Can he really play as well as he did last season, and will the opposition let him.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by dave marshall
ALANP posted:
dave marshall posted:

Great start to the season for Leeds, beating the bookies’ favourite for promotion this afternoon.

Dave, whats your view on signing Bamford from our lot?.He looked sick as a chip stuck on the bench in one photo.

Hi Alan,

There's no second guessing Señor Bielsa's thinking, but it sure seems to be very much "my way, or the highway", which suits me just fine.

Bamford says he wants the opportunity to be the main striker, and hinted that he had been less than happy playing out wide at Boro'.

We're still a bit light upfront, so, from what I've seen, he is a very welcome addition, and seems intelligent enough to realise that he's bought into the project, and I don't imagine he'll have long to wait.

After all, we had mostly the same players as last year out on Saturday, and played Stoke off the park, so "El Loco" seems to be having an immediate effect ............. let's just hope he can sustain it through the next 45 games! 

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by ALANP
dave marshall posted:
ALANP posted:
dave marshall posted:

Hi Alan,

There's no second guessing Señor Bielsa's thinking, but it sure seems to be very much "my way, or the highway", which suits me just fine.

Bamford says he wants the opportunity to be the main striker, and hinted that he had been less than happy playing out wide at Boro'.

We're still a bit light upfront, so, from what I've seen, he is a very welcome addition, and seems intelligent enough to realise that he's bought into the project, and I don't imagine he'll have long to wait.

After all, we had mostly the same players as last year out on Saturday, and played Stoke off the park, so "El Loco" seems to be having an immediate effect ............. let's just hope he can sustain it through the next 45 games! 

Bamford was technically one of our more skilful players ,but apparently it didn't go down too well when he told Mr Pulis he would play out wide as a favour .Must say Leeds looked very good and it could bode well for the season and what an excellent way to reintroduce Stoke to the Championship.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Chris Dolan

Looking forward to the Premier League starting on Friday - although I will be on minibus driving duty to Manchester and back 

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by Kevin-W

I see Spuds have signed a player called Zilch.

Zero appearances in 0 games. Still, he cost nothing, meaning that footballing genius Levy had plenty of funds to splash out on the new cheese room.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by JamieWednesday

I suspect they may still finish above West Ham however, though your signings initially look quite prudent.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by PaulM160
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Headline on The News site: "Time for Pompey boss' difficult second album"

PlanetFootball and PlanetMusic collide

Difficult second season (in League One) perhaps.  We were very fortunate to take three points and keep a clean sheet against Luton this afternoon.  Luton look a good team.

I kept an eye on the stats on this one & it did look like we (Luton) were a bit unlucky but it was our first game back in Div 1 so not sure how we would fare with not many new signings. First home game against Sunderland on Saturday so I will be able to gauge more from there. 

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by MDS
PaulM160 posted:
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Headline on The News site: "Time for Pompey boss' difficult second album"

PlanetFootball and PlanetMusic collide

Difficult second season (in League One) perhaps.  We were very fortunate to take three points and keep a clean sheet against Luton this afternoon.  Luton look a good team.

I kept an eye on the stats on this one & it did look like we (Luton) were a bit unlucky but it was our first game back in Div 1 so not sure how we would fare with not many new signings. First home game against Sunderland on Saturday so I will be able to gauge more from there. 

Paul - I was at the game and also have had the benefit of comparing notes with a work colleague who was there as a Luton fan.  On the performance I saw you have no worries for this season and I would expect you to be in the top third.  

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by MDS

Oh, and I should have added, Luton had terrific support from their fans at Fratton Park, taking up one end of the ground, which made for an even more vibrant atmosphere. Lots of banter between the two sets of fans, of course. The Luton players, despite defeat, made a particular effort at the final whistle to show their thanks to their fans. Nice to see.    

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by Kevin-W
JamieWednesday posted:

I suspect they may still finish above West Ham however, though your signings initially look quite prudent.

They probably will J - for us, I think top 10 would be a result. And we have a very tough sequence of opening games.

While not splashing the cash on ill-fitting 'marquee' signings is prudent, at the very best Spuds will stand still this season, which at the level they aspire to (and brag about), is as good as going backwards.

All those around and below them are making efforts to get better, Totts are doing nothing - and if one of their key players gets injured or suspended, it could be disastrous.

It's interesting that Spuds fans used to talk about winning the league. Now they're content with top 4. What happened to their much-vaunted ambition? Season after next will they be content with not being in a relegation battle?

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by PaulM160
MDS posted:

Oh, and I should have added, Luton had terrific support from their fans at Fratton Park, taking up one end of the ground, which made for an even more vibrant atmosphere. Lots of banter between the two sets of fans, of course. The Luton players, despite defeat, made a particular effort at the final whistle to show their thanks to their fans. Nice to see.    

excellent, thanks for the added info - the attendance demonstrates two well supported teams and sounds like a great atmosphere. I wish us both well this season in what will be the usual ups & downs, cracking games & those where the team don't turn up.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Going to Arsenal - City tomorrow.It's going to be a tough game.I would be happy with a draw but City have got so strong of late in all areas of the pitch we might have to much for Arsenal and get the win.Looking forward to seeing how Riyad Mahrez doe's on his City prem debut.Hope Benjemin Mendy stays injury free as he was brilliant last season in defense.Should be starting with Laporte - Stones - Walker.Not a bad back 4.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by dave marshall

Well, another win for The Whites, and Señor Bielsa is being hailed as the new Messiah .................. early days, I know, but a very encouraging start to the season, both as regards the results, but more particularly, the manner in which we are playing.

The team is largely composed of players from last season, who we all thought were "not good enough" ........ what a transformation! 

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Mike Hughes

Quite enjoying myself in the most competitive division. Wrexham AFC now starting our 11th season in non-league and we appear to have done so on the front foot. Rookie manager in Sam Ricketts and he’s made a prompting start. Even better, my prediction that Salford City would do well to finish in the top 7, let alone win it as most mainstream media and bookies believe, is on course.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by MDS
Mike Hughes posted:

Quite enjoying myself in the most competitive division. Wrexham AFC now starting our 11th season in non-league and we appear to have done so on the front foot. Rookie manager in Sam Ricketts and he’s made a prompting start. Even better, my prediction that Salford City would do well to finish in the top 7, let alone win it as most mainstream media and bookies believe, is on course.

Looked good against Boreham Wood earlier today, which I watched on BT Sport.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Mike Hughes
MDS posted:
Mike Hughes posted:

Looked good against Boreham Wood earlier today, which I watched on BT Sport.

Goals were decent but too many players off colour today. Could have easily lost 1-2 wuth little complaint. Second half performance against Fylde in midweek was far far better. A joy to watch. 

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Kevin-W

Well I'm sure we won't be the last team to get tonked at Anfield by this very good Liverpool side.

We were a bit slow in midfield and got punished for it. Fabianski and Yarmolenko look very good, Snodgrass is still crap.

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by PaulM160
Mike Hughes posted:

I wish you luck Mike. Luton were not long ago in the same situation & I remember the Wrexham games over the years where Wrexham were always pushing to go up but then feel away. As you say, it is a tough division with a number of ex-league teams now plying their trade there.