Albums you once enjoyed but now sound dire

Posted by: Alley Cat on 05 August 2018

Ripping some CDs to the NAS today, and have found some things I've not listened to in ages, some have not stood the test of time at all.

Boy, this is awful:

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by ChrisH

From my collection it’s probably The Verve - Urban Hymns.

loved it for many years, but I just can’t face listening to it these days, it just irritates me. Maybe it got overplayed, or maybe it just wasn’t that good in the first place ???? (in my opinion!)

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Kevin-W posted:

Hi [@mention:72948380262405885] and [@mention:76187608726740196] - Kallax is a range of shelving units. They are built up of boxes of about a foot square, so perfect for LPs.

A 5 x 5 unit like the one below, holds up to about 1,500 LPs and measures 6ft x 6ft. Costs just £150 here in the UK and is easy to assemble. You can get them in all manner of combinations - just look on the website.

I got a couple of smaller Kallax units a couple of years ago - most of which I've not assembled!

Many of these things don't seem very sturdy laterally but I think these seemed not too bad and weighted down I think they'd be fine.

I can't remember what the old Ikea racks were called that were discontinued that many hi-fi buffs loved.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Clive B

What on earth ever possessed me when I bought this tosh?

Possibly the same bewitching agent as when I bought some U2 albums and I'd probably add Eddie Van Halen to the list too. That would free up a few centimetres on my record rack if I got shot of those.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Drewy

Lighthouse Family. It was my wife's idea, really it was.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by hafler3o
Timjoebill posted:

Most Yes albums apart from 'The Yes Album' and parts of 'Fragile'. 'Atom Heart Mother', Pink Floyd. Urgh! 

still love all the Yes albums, weirdly I can't get on with Anderson-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe.

I have quite a bit of William Basinski, and wish I didn't. The Jeff Koons of ambient.

Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is... Not what it was.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Hook
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells. As a kid used love it.. and even now can’t fault the recording and production, but musically it sounds so mechanical and procedural like playing instruments by numbers... sorry Mike...

Even the glockenspiel?  Say it ain’t so!  

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by joerand
Kevin-W posted:

A 5 x 5 unit like the one below, holds up to about 1,500 LPs and measures 6ft x 6ft. Costs just £150 here in the UK and is easy to assemble. You can get them in all manner of combinations - just look on the website.

There was a thread here years ago and I did some separate googling on the Kallax when I was considering LP storage. There's potential for the Kallax to fold like a house of cards - literally. A real concern in earthquake zones.

Kallax needs to be loaded in a balanced bottom-to-top manner. Many users found it advantageous to use additional cross-bracing on the back of the shelves. Nothing elaborate, just a thin strip of wood strung diagonally and screwed into every part of the Kallax that it intersects. Apologies for being direly off the thread topic.

Posted on: 08 August 2018 by blythe

In the above photo of the collapsed shelves, I can't see any evidence of the screw holes in the wall where presumably the shelves were attached to said wall.
Or maybe they forgot those rather important fixings?

Posted on: 08 August 2018 by Drewy

It’s a lot of weight to be putting on those cheap shelves.

Posted on: 08 August 2018 by joerand
blythe posted:

In the above photo of the collapsed shelves, I can't see any evidence of the screw holes in the wall where presumably the shelves were attached to said wall.

Right, besides cross bracing, fixing to the wall would be another alternative. In fact doing both seems the best possible outcome for what Drewy correctly labelled "cheap shelves". The weight of an LP, jacket, cover, inserts, outer sleeves seem minor taken individually, but they quickly add cumulatively. My rule of thumb here would be "Kallax in, Kallax out". It's a knickknack stand, not an LP rack.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Drewy posted:

It’s a lot of weight to be putting on those cheap shelves.

They say that each shelf can take 13.5 kg.  Homebase seem to sell similar ones and estimate 15kg per shelf.