Lost topic

Posted by: Simon C on 01 September 2018

Each time I try to access the Are we sleep-walking out of Europe ? topic I get this :

Error

You do not have access to this topic.
You need the following right:
  • View Topic Content

Any idea what I’m doing wrong ?  I am a bit of a internet numpty.

s.

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

The new thread should have been titled " The Great British Break Off"  

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by Innocent Bystander

[@mention:1566878603942595], you will note that I have started a new thread to discuss Brexit (Brexit - the final throes...). Responses have started, so regarding the “Are we sleepwalking...” thread the future of which I understand you are considering,  if I may respectfully make a suggstion, and this subject to the forbearance of the OP of the that thread: Although it is now very long and somewhat convoluted, there is actually quite a bit of material of interest and relevence buried in it, therefore it may be beneficial to restore it online but closed to new posts after removal of anything offensive. Your judgement of course.

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by joerand
TOBYJUG posted:

Or maybe "Make Britain Great Again"?   

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Wugged Woy
Jeff Anderson posted:

How ironic that the precise type of petty name-calling, referencing and herd agreement is occurring on this very thread.  If you wish to be critical in reference to someone, perhaps you could acquire the eloquence of the eulogists at Sen. John McCain's funeral service yesterday.  They made direct hits, but did so with some civility, as Mr. McCain would have.  

Exactly. The previous thread got pulled not because of just one individual. Both sides of the 'divide' were guilty of intolerance and abusive comments. Some of them, posting on this thread, should not play the holier-than-thou card.

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Richard Dane

OK, enough of the finger pointing and I think it's time to draw a line under the last thread.  I will tidy up the last page, reinstate the thread in the Padded Cell, but it will be closed.

I realise it's a big ask for an online forum, but perhaps a bit less judgement and rather more empathy for others points of view would be a good thing going forwards. 

There is a new Brexit thread (thank you IB), and let us all hope that it remains reasonably civil and avoids going the way of the first one. Either way, I'm standing by...

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Ardbeg10y
joerand posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Imagine Boris Johnson saying "From now on, it is England First".

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Ardbeg10y posted:
joerand posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Imagine Boris Johnson saying "From now on, it is England First".

A few decades ago I recall the slogan ‘I’m backing Britain’, with encouragement for people to buy British goods. At school at the time, I was unaware of the politics surrounding it, bet the recent POTUS call struck a chord with that. I’m sure Boris would make a good mascot for a back Britain campaign (in my view a mascot is all he is good for).

As an aside. However, I imagine that in his response Joerand may have been unaware that Tonyjug’s proposed thread name was parodying the name of a popular British TV cookery show, The Great British Bake Off .