UEFA Nations League

Posted by: wenger2015 on 03 September 2018

I notice the UEFA Nations league starts this week.

I have no idea how it is supposed to work, what the point of it is???

Their seems to be very little media attention or have I just missed it?

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by thebigfredc

A couple of points from me on this one:

top quality Scots not mentioned earlier: Alan Hanson and Archie Gemmil plus Andy Gray is the best header of a ball I have ever seen

King Kenny Dalglish was class, no doubt, but Kevin Keegan is the best British player in my life-time. The way he propelled both Liverpool and Hamburg to league titles and success in Europe. He is the only Brit to win the ballond'or more than once.

Ray

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Bryce Curdy

Wow. If somebody had suggested Bobby Moore or Stanley Matthews I'd have paused for breath. But Keegan couldn't lace Dalglish's boots, not even close.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by wenger2015
Bryce Curdy posted:

Wow. If somebody had suggested Bobby Moore or Stanley Matthews I'd have paused for breath. But Keegan couldn't lace Dalglish's boots, not even close.

Bobby Moore was in a league of his own... better than KK and KD combined,  as for Stanley Matthews way before my time....

what I did like about Kk was you could at least make out what he was saying....

I think Dalglish's response to Hillsborough was incredible.  Deserved to be knighted twice - once as a player and once as a person.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by MDS
wenger2015 posted:
Hook posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

I'm not a Scot but the erosion of standards in Scottish football seems heavy and enduring.  For very many years the top clubs in England all seemed to have some excellent Scottish players eg Glizean, Mackay, Bremner, Strachan, Dalglish, Souness - the list is almost endless.  I can understand that the riches of the Premier League has attracted top talent from around the World that would have squeezed opportunities for all home nations but I don't think that can be the whole of the explanation for the disappearance of top-class Scottish football talent. 

All those players  you have mentioned were top class..... I struggle to think of any present day  top class Scottish players??

Andrew Robertson is very talented.

Unfortunately I have never heard of him....who does he play for?

A young left-back signed last year by Liverpool from Hull.  

Bryce Curdy posted:

I think Dalglish's response to Hillsborough was incredible.  Deserved to be knighted twice - once as a player and once as a person.

Very true...

MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Hook posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

I'm not a Scot but the erosion of standards in Scottish football seems heavy and enduring.  For very many years the top clubs in England all seemed to have some excellent Scottish players eg Glizean, Mackay, Bremner, Strachan, Dalglish, Souness - the list is almost endless.  I can understand that the riches of the Premier League has attracted top talent from around the World that would have squeezed opportunities for all home nations but I don't think that can be the whole of the explanation for the disappearance of top-class Scottish football talent. 

All those players  you have mentioned were top class..... I struggle to think of any present day  top class Scottish players??

Is that all their is? 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Hook
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Hook posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

Is that all their is? 

There is a list here:

http://eurorivals.net/abroad/s...yers-in-england.html

I think that list rather illustrates the point about the poverty of Scottish talent, Hook, at least as compared to the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Hook,

Interesting list .... no doubt very good players but no one outstanding ....

wenger2015 posted:

Hook,

Wenger2015 - I think you are being generous. I would say there about half-a-dozen reasonable players in the list, most are below average and some, well, the guy from Wigan, Kal Naismith, played for my lot for a few seasons. He was pretty good in League 2 (when he could be arsed) but couldn't keep his place when we were prompted to League One ie the third tier of English football.  Doesn't bode well for Scottish football.

MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Hook,

Wenger2015 - I think you are being generous. I would say there about half-a-dozen reasonable players in the list, most are below average and some, well, the guy from Wigan, Kal Naismith, played for my lot for a few seasons. He was pretty good in League 2 (when he could be arsed) but couldn't keep his place when we were prompted to League One ie the third tier of English football.  Doesn't bode well for Scottish football.

I have a naturally generous nature.... 

unfortunately you are right the list explains the present situation 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by thebigfredc
Bryce Curdy posted:

Keegan won the European Footballer of the Year twice, which is two more times than Dalglish did. Just saying.

wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Hook,

I'm certainly struggling to think of any Scottish players that have been good enough for the Gunners in modern times.  Do we really have to go back as far as Frank McClintock and George Graham?  

MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Hook,

I'm certainly struggling to think of any Scottish players that have been good enough for the Gunners in modern times.  Do we really have to go back as far as Frank McClintock and George Graham?  

Charlie Nicholas comes to mind..... after which everything became very French 

wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Hook,

Ah, yes. Charlie.  He was a good player. Good enough for me to almost forgive him continuing to wear those stud earrings to an age when he should know better. 

MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Hook,

Ah, yes. Charlie.  He was a good player. Good enough for me to almost forgive him continuing to wear those stud earrings to an age when he should know better. 

Ha ha.... agree completely... they look ridiculous...

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by sjbabbey

At least Arsenal didn’t sign Frank McGarvey. We did and he never played a game.

sjbabbey posted:

At least Arsenal didn’t sign Frank McGarvey. We did and he never played a game.

Frank McGarvey...that’s a blast from the past.... was he a Celtic player ?

Yes. We signed him from St Mirren in 1979 where he scored for fun but never got fully fit and he was sold to Celtic the following season.

I have always had a soft spot for Celtic.....  whenever they have the old firm derby, I always want Celtic to win.....

I wonder how many of their players are Scottish? Likewise with Rangers?

I was in digs near Queens Park when I was working in Giasgow in the late 1970s and followed Celtic and Killie as a mate in the same tenement was a big fan of them. Got to see Ian Rush playing at Hampden in the old home international before he made his Liverpool debut. Apparently I also saw Diego Marradona playing at Hampden but don’t remember it at all. Must have beeh a good game!

sjbabbey posted:

I was in digs near Queens Park when I was working in Giasgow in the late 1970s and followed Celtic and Killie as a mate in the same tenement was a big fan of them. Got to see Ian Rush playing at Hampden in the old home international before he made his Liverpool debut. Apparently I also saw Diego Marradona playing at Hampden but don’t remember it at all. Must have beeh a good game!

Diego Marradona, turned into a over weight buffoon.... 

now Ian Rush.... what a goal machine he turned out to be...

wenger2015 posted:

I have always had a soft spot for Celtic.....  whenever they have the old firm derby, I always want Celtic to win.....

I wonder how many of their players are Scottish? Likewise with Rangers?

4 or 5 of the starting 11.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by wenger2015

Just watched Croatia v Spain, what a great game....

both teams desperately wanting to win .... 

Sets everything up very nicely for the England v Croatia game on Sunday...