Camera Lens Protector or Filter Advice.

Posted by: Tony2011 on 09 September 2018

As per title. I did not want to spoil  the Nice Photos thread, so I have opened  this one to find out how many of our beloved happy shooters make use of filters on their expensive gear. I have read endless, supposed to be impartial, reviews but most of them are kind of biased towards one brand or another. I’m thinking  of buying  a protector and also a CPL.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Many thanks.

Tony

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by fatcat

With regards to UV filters. It’s not a good idea to leave them on 24/7/365.

I had a problem with a Canon zoom. After about 18 months use, numerous tiny blotches appeared on the inside of the lens. It was under warranty and Canon fixed it FOC, but they recommended I don’t leave the UV filter on perminantley. Apparantly UV kills off things that might start growing in the lens, the filter obviously prevents this from happening.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by JamieWednesday

Coo. Not heard that one before.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Tony Lockhart

Moi non plus. Like it!

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by fatcat

Well, I’m not taking any chances.

Every so often I remove the filter and put the lens on the window ledge.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by Tony Lockhart

I'd be calling in Rentokil

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Beachcomber
Tony2011 posted:

As per title. I did not want to spoil  the Nice Photos thread, so I have opened  this one to find out how many of our beloved happy shooters make use of filters on their expensive gear. I have read endless, supposed to be impartial, reviews but most of them are kind of biased towards one brand or another. I’m thinking  of buying  a protector and also a CPL.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Many thanks.

Tony

I always use a neutral filter (well, UV really, or possibly skylight) as a form of protection.  I know there are many tests out there to show that dropping a heavy camera and lens onto the front of the lens, but at an angle, doesn't necessarily stop the lens from being damaged (but neither does it increase the damage).  But it does mean:

1) dust settles on the filter, not the front element.  This can easily be cleaned off (either) but if all you have to hand is a handkerchief or the corner of your shirt, then I don't mind doing that to a filter, but would not do it to a lens

2) as you walk, camera and lens over one shoulder, through various places, including crowds or in amongst bushes, the front of the lens could get scratched by people/clothing/branches etc.  Unless you have a filter on it.

3) When it rains, it's the filter that catches the water, not the front element

etc.

Replacing  a filter is free - I look on it as a lens cap that you don't need to take off.  I have never found a downside to having a filter.  I have had some pretty filthy filters after a day's shooting (particularly if I have been photographing things like seaweeds and animals in the intertidal zone).  

I will only remove the filter if I am doing macrophotography in the lab/studio.  And often don't even then

Replacing  a filter is free - should have said cheap.  Though free compared with replacing a lens or its front element

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Tony2011
fatcat posted:

Well, I’m not taking any chances.

Every so often I remove the filter and put the lens on the window ledge.

Blimey, I thought that would have been terminal and I’d probably have dumped that lens by now.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, valuable time and advice. Paranoia dictates that I might just stick a clear filter on it and use the CPL occasionally. Many thanks once again.

Blimey, I thought that would have been terminal and I’d probably have dumped that lens by now.

I have been told by a camera repair person that Pond's cream cleans that sort of stuff up quite well.  Not tried it myself, but...

Here is another way, although I am a bit sceptical. Mind you, it’s a Canon so no harm in trying.

Tony2011 posted:

Here is another way, although I am a bit sceptical. Mind you it’s a Canon so no harm in trying.

Um.  Gosh.  There's brave!

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Christopher_M
Tony2011 posted:

Here is another way, although I am a bit sceptical. Mind you, it’s a Canon so no harm in trying.

Oooff!! Tony, you know how to upset a bloke!!

Christopher_M posted:
Tony2011 posted:

Just a bit of banter, Chris. One of my old time favourites is the A-1 with sticky mirror and all. 

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Eloise
Tony2011 posted:

Don't forget to thoroughly dry it out in the microwave after!

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Suzy Wong
Tony2011 posted:
Christopher_M posted:
Tony2011 posted:

Just a bit of banter, Chris. One of my old time favourites is the A-1 with sticky mirror and all. 

Still got my A-1......and I think there’s a film in it!