Marketing Test... ????????

Posted by: Peder on 16 September 2018

? JOHN PLAYER SPECIAL ?

This is a small marketing-test,..to see the impact of advertising.

Is this above something that you recognize,..And if you do,please describe in what context you may have seen this.

And any person linked to the name above.

Good luck.....
/Peder ????

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Rich 1

JPS means racing cars and cigarettes to me. There's several very old adds that stick in my mind ; Whiskers, pussy went a walking in a London zoo..... PAL, prolongs active life, go to work on an egg. Gas add, being in control and his thumb lights up and so on. Rich 

Oh, and of course, crossing with a pram takes time. Rich 

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by osprey
Mike-B posted:
Peder posted:

Any connection with what might excite en svensk person about JPS & Lotus does not come to my mind.  However it seems your thoughts were for Ronnie Peterson,  but with all due respect, Swedish F1 drivers are few & far between & no world champions.  As good & fast as Ronnie was he somehow didn't seem to get the wins,  …

I have to disagree slightly the above – 10 wins in 123 race and a couple of runner up positions in drivers championship is something most drivers can only dream of. 

The super Swede is well remembered…

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Innocent Bystander

I recognise the name from decades ago, and my immediate thought was that it was something to do with tobacco sponsorship of something, maybe golf or sonething like that. Looking through tgre other responses I do recall having seen some of the, or related, images.

But I don’t think I am a typical advert target - or rather recipient, for which there is probably a better word.

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Mike-B

Hi Osprey,    my point - & i would have liked to have written that a bit better - is he didn’t get the wins because he was playing #2 to Andretti when at JPS Lotus.  He did win, but only if Andretti had problems..

Bentley, who would link Naim to that rather nice car? Rich 

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by osprey
Mike-B posted:

Hi Osprey,    my point - & i would have liked to have written that a bit better - is he didn’t get the wins because he was playing #2 to Andretti.

Hi Mike, that is true. 

Oh dear it was top cat, not Whiskers!? Ha ha

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Peder

???? Mike-B,....Thanks for your reply,interesting to know where JPS took the road.

I've read your posts in the Formula 1-thread,so I understand that you have a great interest and know-how in that sport.
Hence my conclusions that you would "put this" at once ????.

But,..this television program about Ronnie Peterson as I refer to earlier,it was an hour and a half long and very interesting.
There participated in interviews,many of Ronnie's former racing colleagues,among others...

? Sir Jackie Stewart.
? Emerson Fittipaldi.
? John Watson.
? Niki Laura.
? David Brodie.
? Francoise ' Cevert RIP.
? Graham Hill.
? Jochen Rindt RIP.
? Jody Scheckter.
? James Hunt.
? Mario Andretti.
? Colin Chapman RIP.

All of these were close friends of Ronnie Peterson,and they also hung privately.
All of these were also in agreement,that Ronnie Peterson was the fastest driver.
But he had a contract as a second driver,and had to adapt to it because he wanted to drive in the best "racing stalls".
There was a lot of politics in the Formula 1 circus.

He was called "SuperSwede" by all in the Formula 1 circus.

Mario Andretti first wanted to not have Ronnie in the same "racing stall"..because as Mario said,..Ronnie is a faster driver than me.
But Ronnie agreed to accept the role of second driver.
This meant,among other things,,..that they refueled extra gasoline in Ronnie's car during the qualifiers,so that it would be heavier than Mario's car.

Ronnie also got to run on regular tires during the qualifiers,where Mario got qualifier-tire..everything to slow down Ronnie without it being noticed.

But he still ended up in "Pole Position" several times..or among those first before the start.

Here at home in Sweden,it is erected a statue in Ronnie's hometown of Örebro in his honor.
And Ronnie's funeral here in Sweden,..was akin to a State funeral.

Ronnie came second posthumously in the World Championship 1978 after Mario..and if he had lived,he would be the first driver for McLaren next season.

Sir Jackie Stewart told in the TV-program that Ronnie was the only one who managed to run with a wide cord at 250 km/hour in some curves..He apparently did it every time ????.
--------------------------------------------------------

????Some Statistics....????????

Ronnie Peterson deceased,11 September 1978, (34 years)..Milano,.Italy.

? Formula 1, active..1970 – 1978.
? Latest Stall Lotus.
? Debuted Monaco 1970.
? Second in the World Championship 1971.
? Second posthumously in the World  Championship 1978.
? Last race Italy 1978 †

? Numbers of races 123.
? Wins 10.
? Second places 10.
? Third places 6.
? Pole position 14.
? Fastest Lap 9.

????Some history... ????????

Ronnie Peterson was a successful Formula 1 driver from Sweden.
He was born in Örebro on 14 February 1944 and died on 11 September in 1978.

? The young years.
Ronnies parents are named Bengt and Maj-Britt.
Ronnie worked the years between 1959 and 1962 as car mechanic,and between 1962 to 1968 with constructions.

? Racing career.
Formula K 1962 – 1967 when Ronnie was 18, he made his debut in the Gokart and already the first season,he finished 2nd in the SM in class D.
He started ten races,and of these he won two and came on the podium in two more.

Season two,he won the Swedish Championship in class D,and of the twelve races he drove,..he won eight and finished second in two.
However, his third season became the best.
He is third in class D,but he wins the Swedish Championship in class A and he drove a total of 40 races and of these he won 23,in seven he becomes second and in one he became third.
In the fourth season he runs three classes,he wins the Swedish Championship in class C, second in class D and also becomes third in class A Europe Championship.
In 1966 he only runs class A,and this is very much because he started running Formula 3.
Despite this,..he will be third in the World Championships and Swedish Championship,in addition he won the Europe Championship gold medal.

? Formula 3 1966 – 1969.

Ronnies Father Bengt and Sven Andersson has produced the car SWEBE,which he drives in Formula 3.
In total he sets up in 75 competitions.
The first season is no success,you notice that the car is not competitive and in the last race he bought a Brabham BT18 that he starts with, however,..he crashes it.
It went to repair,and Ronnie runs it in his second season where he finishes fifth.

The third season he instead drove a Tecno that included a Cosworth engine and had 115 hp.
He changed it against the Brabham he had, and also took a bank loan to cover the difference.
This season he drove 26 races and he won twelve.
In addition,he set a total of six racetrack records,and also public records when he competed in Sweden.
The final Formula 3 season he won the Swedish Championship and he won in 15 out of the 22 races he participated in.

? Formula 1 1970 – 1978

His debut in Formula 1,..he made in a March-Ford in the stable Antique automobiles/Colin Crabbe Racing,and this he did 1970.
Right quickly,he belonged to the top of the drivers,and already season two he finished second overall in the Driver's Championship.

Ronnie drove total 123 races Grand Prix in Formula 1,..and won ten races.
He came second in the World Championship 1971,and also 1978 posthumously.

In the 1979 season,he would run for McLaren as first driver.

? Last race and death.
On September 10,..1978 a dramatic accident occurred on Monza circuit in Italy,and Ronnie was injured seriously.
The day after the accident Ronnie died as a result of this when a fettemboli arose during surgery.

Four weeks earlier,he had started in Pole Position in the Austrian Grand Prix and also won the race.
Two weeks later he finished second in the Dutch GP.
Last race at Monza,he started in the third stage as a fifth car.

On training,..Ronnie crashed his regular car and got to qualify,and compete with last year's car.
In the race at Monza Ronnie got a slow start.

In the first curve Pressured James Hunt's car involuntarily out of Riccardo Patrese.
James was hurled against Ronnie's Lotus,and he was hit from behind.
This meant that Ronnie's car was hurled against the fence,and then he bounced out again on the track where he collided with Didier Pironi and Ronnies car caught fire. 

Patrick Depailler and James Hunt were the two who pulled Ronnie out of the fire sea,and during that time he was conscious,but the day after he dying in the hospital.
1987 also Ronnie's widow Barbro died,and bequeathed Nina their daughter who was born 1975.
----------------------------------------------------------

So,..Ronnie "SuperSwede" Peterson is missing by many in racing in Sweden.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Mike-B

Hej igen Peder,  thanks for the Ronnie history,  it was a long time ago & I had forgotten most of the finer detail.