One of my favourite statistics is.....

”95% of the people who died in the U.K. last year, had eaten tomatoes”

cheers

Don

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Don Atkinson
Mulberry posted:
Mike-B posted:

50% of the human population are below average 

Not perfectly true. Some people are average and only the remaining part of the population are either above or below average, which means both groups a smaller than 50%. 

Brilliant

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by ChrisSU
Don Atkinson posted:
Mulberry posted:
Mike-B posted:

Not perfectly true. Some people are average and only the remaining part of the population are either above or below average, which means both groups a smaller than 50%. 

Brilliant

That would depend on the points system you used to grade people. On a crude scoring system of, say, 1 to 10, lots of people would probably get an average score. With a high res scoring system of, say, 1 to 7.5 billion, chances are that nobody at all would be average.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2017-11-28/Best%20King%20and%20Queen-01.png

What is the statistical possibility that with Kate. It could be the first time that Great Britain has both a Queen AND a King at the same time in the modern age ????

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Huge

Statistically, the average (arithmetic mean) gender of the human race is non-binary, being neither male nor female!

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Eoink

The average human has fewer than 2 legs. (Mean, not mode or median.)

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by yeti42
rodwsmith posted:

If the chances of there being a bomb on a plane are 10,000 to 1, then the chances of there being two bombs on the plane are 20,000 to 1.

Simply take a bomb with you - and halve the chances of someone else blowing you up.

That's probability, not statistics. On top of that the probability of two bombs, assuming the chance is truely random, would be 100000000:1. Of 100000000 planes 9999 would have one bomb  and 1 would have two bombs. Not to wory, most bombs on planes belong to the military that operate them, which would imply their presence is rather less random and two bombs probably quite common.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Don Atkinson posted:

Allegedly heard at a fringe meeting during the Labour Party conference last week by a militant union official giving a rousing speech…..

“……So, comrades, we are calling for a National Strike concerning the wages of ALL workers in the UK, not just union members, but ALL workers. And we shall remain on strike, until our demands are met…….that the wage of every worker in this great country of ours, is above the national average !”

Well, although it's unlikely, it would be possible to get everyone above the current national average, I suppose.

Remember a scientice teacher throwing me the question - " What are the statistics of Power"- as a youngling.   Still flummoxed. Perhaps without context no statistics have reasoning.  Is there such a thing as an absolute statistic ?

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Christopher_M
TOBYJUG posted:

Remember a scientice teacher throwing me the question - " What are the statistics of Power"- as a youngling.   Still flummoxed. Perhaps without context no statistics have reasoning.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Mulberry
ChrisSU posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
Mulberry posted:
Mike-B posted:

Brilliant

That would depend on the points system you used to grade people. On a crude scoring system of, say, 1 to 10, lots of people would probably get an average score. With a high res scoring system of, say, 1 to 7.5 billion, chances are that nobody at all would be average.

Quite true. Depending on how you define average, only odd numbers of people would have an average person among them and even-numbered groups the 50/50 split.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Don Atkinson

I have this funny feeling that with a crude scoring system of 1 to 10, that nobody would get an average score !

1 to 5 would be below average and 6 to 10 would be above average.

Perhaps we should stick with Mike B’s generalisation 

TOBYJUG posted:

The percentage of people who choose the correct percentage is ?

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

B.    45  %

TOBYJUG posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

B.    45  %

That is not the correct answer...........

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by hungryhalibut

Let’s try C.

Don Atkinson posted:
TOBYJUG posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

B.    45  %

Your right ..

E.      42. %

TOBYJUG posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
TOBYJUG posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

B.    45  %

Your right ..

E.      42. %

Looks like HH was well out. Typical accountant !...........

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by ChrisSU
Don Atkinson posted:

I have this funny feeling that with a crude scoring system of 1 to 10, that nobody would get an average score !

1 to 5 would be below average and 6 to 10 would be above average.

Perhaps we should stick with Mike B’s generalisation 

Quite right, I should have said 0 to 10, not 1 to 10! Not only would that make the maths easier, but you could then give the really rubbish people a score of 0. A bit like those irritating online surveys where you are asked to give a rating of 1 to 5 stars, for something so bad that it deserves no stars at all.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by fatcat

I’m not convinced 50% of earners in the UK earn less than the average wage, the figure could be as high as 60 or 70 percent.

Same goes for intelligence, there a re a lot of stupid people about.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Frank Yang

Only 5% of the population are born to be leaders, the rest 95 % are sheep.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by kuma

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics."

– Mark Twain

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Huge

Probably wrong attribution, the earliest known written account of that saying is Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour, as quoted in the Manchester Guardian, 29th June 1892:

“Professor [Joseph] Munro reminded him of an old saying which he rather reluctantly proposed, in that company, to repeat. It was to the effect that there were three gradations of inveracity - there were lies, there were d-d lies, and there were statistics.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/223/018/0c4.jpg

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Karl

Ten out of nine statistics are wrong.

Karl

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Clive B
TOBYJUG posted:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/223/018/0c4.jpg

I think that's only true for the median average.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Florestan
TOBYJUG posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
TOBYJUG posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

B.    45  %

Your right ..

E.      42. %

Your right ..  to do what ? 

Statistically, 4 out of 5 people who excel in math are 9 times more unlikely to have the goodest grammar.  ;-)