Nations on th forum

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 25 September 2018

i was just thinking that it would be interesting to see how many different countries are represented on the forum. As all have a distinct legacy / background in audio. For instance I am originating from the Netherlands, and now living in Germany. The topic of hifi seems to be much more lived in Germany. Would be interested to hear the Nations on the forum and some background on how they experience audio interests in the country....

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Peder
Richard Dane posted:

Peder, the forum has over 25,000 registered members.  As to how many are active, always hard to say, but right as I type there are 613 people looking at the forum, of which 111 are currently logged in as members.

???? Thanks Richard,..Interesting to know.!

We had a nice afternoon yesterday with an acquaintance who had a Linn Exact system.
He usually also reads Naim's forum,so there are probably many non members who also read here on Naim's forum.

As usual when you have a nice time,so the time went way too fast,..we would test some cables and a headphone amplifier too.
But we will do it next time,because he and the wife have two small children who also need attention...HiFi is not everything in life ????.

In other words,there is a good basis for this thread to be really long ????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by ursus262
Richard Dane posted:

Peder, the forum has over 25,000 registered members.  As to how many are active, always hard to say, but right as I type there are 613 people looking at the forum, of which 111 are currently logged in as members.

That is a sure sign of success in this day and age, when forums are generally in decline.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Another one from England... I have loved music, making music, building electronic instruments, Hi-Fi and audio for most of my life... and I think this forum a great resource.. I am not a huge fan of contemporary social media... but I often enjoy ‘forum’ social media sites such as these just as I enjoyed their predecessor dial up media bullet-in boards... back in the early 90s.. and of course prior to that it was fanzines by the post and the duplicator.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by VladtheImpala

British here, despite the moniker. I've always been at the budget end of hifi and yes, I have a Sonos Play 1 as well as the Uniti 2. The Sonos is a good little unit - it's what I usually listen to Radio Paradise on when I'm doing some chores. Even I could set it up in a jiffy! Not a patch on the Uniti, though.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Florestan
Peder posted:

There weren't so many who wanted to share their data on the nationality of this thread,just 15… boring.!

?Richard: How many members have the forum
?Of these, how many ass's are active.?

Those who write more constant here,do not seem to be more than 15-20...except in the music-tips threads.
But the forum is read by many non members too I think.

/Peder ????

...what predictive text really wanted to say in turning a boring statement into a not so boring one :-)  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Peder

???? Florestan,...I am a politician-subject ????.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by TK421

I am very fortunate to have dual nationalities.

When Geraint Thomas wins, e.g. Tour de France, Gareth Bale scores twice in the Champions League final and Wales win the Six Nations Rugby, I am most definitely Welsh.

However, when Cardiff City are being thumped in the Premier League and they are showing documentaries on TV about the annual Elvis Convention held in Porthcawl, I am most definitely British.

I got in to Naim via my brother who up until now has always had better HiFi gear than myself. Started with a Unitilite 3 years ago and have since developed symptoms that require a hell of a lot of scratching.

We have 2 Sonos Play 1's and there is absolutely nothing to fault with them for background/party listening. Their app is pretty much faultless too.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Mike-B

Bert (OP) said that it would be interesting to see how many different countries are represented on the forum.   I assume he is not expecting to know how many of each. 

And like TK421 I too have multiple nationalities,  for e.g.  England for Rugby,  British for Athletics & again the Lions Rugby &  European for The Ryder Cup      yea  !!!!  we won it back (again) 

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Kiwi cat

New Zealand seems to have quite an active HiFi community. I think it correlates with how cold the weather is as we can have quite cold miserable winters. Miserable weather is more conducive to serious listening and I am sure there are proportionately more high quality systems in Christchurch in the south vs Auckland in the north.

Because our climate is similar to the UK it seems to be similar usage of Naim to the uk in HiFi bogging and Wellington seems to be the Southern Hemispheres Naim capital with the Naim importer to australasia based here.

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Very interesting obsrvation about possible correlation between popularity of hifi, or maybe just home music listening, with weather/climate.

Not something I’ve thought about before - but yes, I spend more time playing music in the winter than summer, often with longer sessions. In the summer there are things that need doing outdoors, from house maintenance to gardening, and leisure things it is nice to do, and it can be pleasant just to sit outside on a balmy day and hear the natural sounds around (Im lucky to live somewhere without the constant sound of passing cars or distant motorway). But in the winter, cold, damp, miserable, dull, short daylight hours, it is far more appealing to be indoors, and relaxing with the hufi on is a great way to shut out winter blues (with musical blues!).

Contrasting that with mediterranean and tropical countries, seemingly with lots of nice weather and reasons to be outside, while at the same time maybe houses are  less amenable to good sounding hifi, seemingly with stone floors the norm and near-cubic rooms quite common (though maybe that is too much of a generalisation, as I acknowledge it is based on only very limited observation).

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by wenger2015

Well I have dual nationality..Born and raised in Canada..... but lived in Uk for the last 50 years...

As for hi-fi ..... most hi-fi shows I go to seem to be full of old boys carrying a bag with a flask and homemade sandwiches ..... 

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Not sure of the relevance of homemade sandwiches? The flask could be interesting, however...

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Clay Bingham

I live in what is affectionately (?) referred to as the People’s Republic of California, USA.  Lovely place in my opinion. Naim owner since 2002. 

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by seakayaker

Originally from Boston, MA and now living in Seattle, WA.  In between I have spent time living in Florida, South Carolina, and Texas and worked for companies out of St. Louis, Chicago, San Francisco and Dallas. Lots of exposure to a variety and styles of music across the country.

Growing up there was always a record player and the parents played music quite a bit. 

First Hi-Fi purchased in '72 consisted of Garrard turntable, Pioneer 747 receiver with a pair of JBL 88 speakers. The following year I picked up Teac reel to reel.

First piece of Naim gear was May 2017.......  now working with NDX > SN2 > S-400 Ovators

As a side note, my father was stationed in England for a period during WWII and was married in Gloucester where my mother's family lived. She had a lovely voice so you might say it was my first introduction to British audio......

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by wenger2015
Innocent Bystander posted:

Not sure of the relevance of homemade sandwiches? The flask could be interesting, however...

Myself and Finkfan are usually the only ones eating in the restaurant.... 

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Don Atkinson

Born and brought up in the UK. Now spend three to four months a year in British Columbia and Alberta.

Became interested in hi-fi during my postings to Sharjah (Trucial States) and Salalah (Oman) between 1968 - 1973.

First system from VV & Sons Dubai comprised Dual t/t; Sansui tuner amp; Sansui speakers and a Sony reel to reel tape recorder.

Back in the UK Around about 1976 or so, I phoned a small company called Naim, based in a small shop/factory in Salisbury and was invited by a bearded enthusiast called Julian to listen to a thing called an LP12 and some sort of amp that came in three bits called a Nac 32/naps/250 and some “Briks”.

The rest is history.......well, ok, I do like Krell and Wilson.

I have met a few people in Canada who are home music enthusiasts including mogul, but I noticed last month that the Naim dealer in our little town called Vernon has disappeared. Most people I met seem to be streaming music through Sonos and real hifi seems to be in decline !

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Eoink

I’m another British person, referring back to the dual nationality piece my parents were Irish, so I support England at cricket (unless Ireland beat England when my cricket friends block my texts ), Ireland at rugby, and Ireland at soccer until we go out of the competition when I switch to England 

I have had some interesting conversations with my 35 year old nephew about how his generation listen to music, in his view they don’t have the album view, they’re more into track by track listening, which lends itself to streaming service/shuffle listening and possibly background listening rather than the old school sit down listen to the whole album mode. Now he used to DJ, so his view might be coloured by his scene, but it could lead to the music fans of his generation not being so into hifi as  they don’t feel ,the need to sit and concentrate. (Or I may have misjudged the implications.)

I note that hifi as we know it does seem largely to be an older person’s thing in the U.K., but I’d also say that Sonos is a damn sight better than the systems  that most people I grew up with had. Yes I and my music nut mates had systems of varying levels, but most people I knew had a battery powered radio and maybe a music centre of dire quality. Sonos is stunning compared to that.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Interesting observation re sitting and concentrating (inability to). That perhaps is a common denominator of the younger generation, and only symptomatic as far as music is concerned. I trace it back to kids TV with one thing happening on screen and banners running across the screen with other snippets, and now rife across everything: magazine articles that have to be split up into bite-sized pieces and dotted with little summary snippets, comics instead of newspapers, TV documentaries padded out with frequent pauses to recap, and often several subjects split and intermixed instead of simply presenting each in turn, etc. 

As for music and album listening vs track listening, I’m not sure that is so new: For as long as I remember there were people whose only interest was in the latest chart music, throwaway stuff that mostly was forgotten and even disliked within a year, radio on, suck in what it played without thinking, while I and a smaller number of people were into album collecting and often listening together and appreciating (of which only a small proprtion went for serious music systems). And maybe the iPod revolution took that further in a different way, there seemingly being almost a competitive element amongst certain sectors as to who had collected the most songs, regardless of whether they ever played them.

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Alley Cat

Welsh.

Posted on: 08 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Anybody from Japan .? A country with a strong tradition in Hifi....

Posted on: 08 October 2018 by Timmo1341

Dual nationality: British and Cornish!

Posted on: 08 October 2018 by Haim Ronen

Originally from the Middle East, living now in the American Midwest, what we call a true middleman..

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Born Essex, emigrated to Yorkshire nearly 30yrs ago. Just about accepted now.

Bruce

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

Kingdom of Guthrum

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Timmo1341 posted:

Dual nationality: British and Cornish!

Similar - British and Devon