Muffled sound - help please

Posted by: steveaxe on 01 October 2018

My system consists of  HDX-SSD, NAC 202, NAP 200, Ovator S400 and Chord Mojo with Apple Express for streaming. At the weekend my teenage children had a party and used the system with the Mojo, and now the sound is best described as muffled. The stunning clarity I once had has been replaced by blurred bass, poor clarity and overall it sounds terrible. I can only presume they had the volume too loud. I would really appreciate any advice on how to both find the problem and also how to fix it. Many thanks in advance of any advice & support.

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Dungassin

Just back from holiday, so only seeing this thread today.  Many years ago a colleague complained of a similar problem (no Naim equipment involved, though).  I went round to his house, pulled off the foam fronts of his speakers (can't recall the make), to find a couple of socks stuffed in front of the bass/mid drivers!  I assume the OP has checked for something similar?   

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander

If the BMRs are ‘fried’, the said offspring paying fir them, whether out of pocket money, paid work, no birthday/Xmas presents, or sale of mobile phones, would bring home yo them the need for respect and control...

(But only if they had been either prohibited from using, or pre-warned about maximum volume.)

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Drewy

Don’t blame the youngster. Blame the Tories or Brexit.

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Timmo1341
Drewy posted:

Or the parent?!

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Mike Sullivan
Drewy posted:

Yes, best to teach them not to have any self responsibility and blame anyone other than themselves for their own mistakes.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by feeling_zen

Not sure wrecking the speakers (if that is what happened) is the main issue. Accidents do happen.

It would be the obvious attempt to pretend like nothing is known about the damage and come forward.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Sounsfaber

I would say, if indeed the speakers are munted it was a friend that did it. After all what are friends for. What would be more of a wreck would be if a lp12 was left out to be used! (Which is not the case)

Sharing is caring after all.

Anyway with respect to the OP, I’m sure things have been said and the situation is at the fixing stage. After all I do seem to remember crashing my Fathers 550hp sport car back the late 90’s. I disappeared for 3 days  hoping he would cool down...nope he didnt????????

gee the power came on fast. Whoopsies, sorry Dad.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander
feeling_zen posted:

Not sure wrecking the speakers (if that is what happened) is the main issue. Accidents do happen.

It would be the obvious attempt to pretend like nothing is known about the damage and come forward.

Teenagers having a party, music as loud as possible, strong bass beat overwhelming everything, lots of drink (hopefully nothing more), dancing, snogging...   maybe they genuinely didn’t notice, being sufficiently intoxicated and deafened (and likely one BMR  went first, not both at same moment, making less obvious).

Of course not all parties are like that (shame!)

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by steveaxe

Home DIY diagnosis done - other speakers work perfectly so it’s the BMR’s. Spoke to the dealer and getting a quote. The nervous part .....

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by james n

Glad you've narrowed down the issue Steve. Hopefully returning your Ovators to full health won't be too expensive. 

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Michael

Insurance claim? Accidental damage.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by steveaxe

there is good news and bad news on my system. the tweeters are fixed (at a cost of 500 Euros !), but the base simply doesn't sound right - it sounds unclear and booming. do you think its a speaker issue again or could it be the amp this time ? any advice gladly received ! 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by james n

Steve - I take it your dealer did the BMR replacement, tested both speakers and declared everything ok before returning them to you ?

On my way back to the dealer with speakers and the amp to try to find the problem ....

That sounds like a good plan. Let us know what you find...

Just done / no issues with the equipment so it’s the speaker positioning and allowing the amp to warm up. Finally a cheap solution ! 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Michael

Glad nothing serious was amiss, yes give it time to all settle down and let us know in a few weeks time. 

Good news

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by ursus262

And don't forget that Ovators take an age to settle down.  You've moved them and had them repaired, and then had them moved back home.  It'll take time.

Good point - will give it a few weeks to run them in