How many copies of the same LP/content do you have?

Posted by: Happy Listener on 05 November 2018

Noticing recent threads on vinyl re-issues and the general level of re-issues (across formats, inc streaming) which are hitting the market (e.g. Bowie/Kate Bush), I wonder how many times we've paid for the same LP/content i.e. not including 2nd-hand purchases or the free-downloads)…….and why do we keep buying the same thing over and over again!? What are we hoping for, given the underlying tapes et al must be compromised after all this time albeit, I suspect, better processing may balance this out. It's often recorded on the Forum that original pressings are the best version. 

IIRC, Richard mentioned on a thread he's has 5 copies of Love Over Gold (all vinyl?) and may be interested in a 6th, if MoFi produce one.

I'll own up to 5 copies of Making Movies  -  2 vinyl from the 1980's (one 1/2-speed mastered copy which I scratched big time), 1 x 180g remastered from c.2014 (IIRC), and 2 x CD (one for the car), one being a remastered version from c.2014 which sounds like a vinyl version as it has so much surface noise. Mr Knopfler has done well out of me!...…..and I've only 3 copies of Love Over Gold (so far). 

What about other Forumites?  Some members out there must have multiple copies of DSOTM?

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Happy Listener

Well, as the OP I'm stunned by the 44 number! 

I thought numbers would be dominated by the likes of DSOTM and perhaps Rumours, even the LedZep albums.

I will admit to being a victim of the reissue frenzy in that I have 2 jazz albums with very different covers which are the same album - stupid boy Pike.

I have also double-banked some of my vinyl favourites. Recently, I played some vinyl re-issues (remasters) against some CD copies and while the latter have greater clarity and separation, the warmth of the vinyl wins over for me.

Richard - can I beg a favour and ask you to correct the thread title - I think my poor eyesight and spell-checker has triumphed again.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Hook

Interesting thread, and despite owning 4500+ albums, it makes feel like a right amateur!

I own two or three different versions of maybe a couple of hundred albums, but that’s about it.  I am not counting mono versus stereo, but probably should.

Ok, I admit to having some accidental duplicates. Prior to cataloging my collection on dIscogs, I was occassionally surprised to find I had just bought an album I already owned!

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Richard Dane

HL, corrected for you.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Have found this thread rather fascinating - and hard to fathom - I am clearly not a collector! Ihave very few ‘duplicates’, maybe a dozen, bought as higher res or remasterings where I felt the original could be bettered. That is ignoring a few pieces of classical music where I have different versions by different orchestras/conductors - but that is only a handful.

Over the decades I have replaced quite a few worn LPs, at first like for like, later with CD, and eventually with downloaded files, but that was the nature of the medium.

And I have bp ever accidentally bought an album I already have - I find it a strange thing to do, as I know what I have, and if I didn’t and was contemplating buying something I’d check first!

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Happy Listener

Richard - per an e-mail from Diverse Vinyl it seems your thoughts on MoFi issuing some of the Dire Straits' catalogue (inc LoG) in 2019 is correct - but as best I can see so far it may be CDs only(?).

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Richard Dane

HL, there was talk of 45rpm double vinyl coming from Mofi at some point.