Muso Airplay 2 Update Problem

Posted by: Praggers on 14 November 2018

Anybody else had a problem with the latest update for Muso?

A few minutes into the update all the lights of the Muso went off (like I'd unplugged it).

A factory reset I'm told will fix it.

Should I unplug then replug the Muso before I reset it?

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by dave simpson

Yes,  if you can get the firmware file from Naim you can upload it to the Muso via a web browser on your laptop. 

...still waiting for Naim Support to contact me. 

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by pjlarge

Fortunately I had a 1.5.x version on my laptop so I have downgraded the f/w and am now back to normal.  Lesson learned, if it ain't broke...

I’ll do the same if Naim will contact me and email me a link to v 1.5 or .6 (both versions ran flawlessly for the few days it worked!)

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by EoinKav

Can someone please confirm and check the following ...

I always plugged in a Apple lightning cable to the MUSO's USB and attached my phone to it to charge at night.

UpSide of this was I could play music via the lightning link and I thought I could also control the volume with the physical volume control rocker buttons on the phone.

Since the update or since the new XS series phone (not sure where exactly the problem arose) I can't seem to do this any more, anyone else notice this?.

TIA

pjlarge posted:

If you send me a PM with your email address on it, I’ll fire a copy across to you. It’s only 7mb or so. 

Thanks for the kind offer PJ! I haven't posted much here in the last few years so not sure how to PM on this version of the forum but I did post my email on  your "wall" (open your forum profile page) for a copy of FW v1.6. 

Best,

Dave

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by pjlarge

Hi Dave, I've sent the file over.  Good luck!

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by diwrosa

I upgraded my “original” Mu-so this evening, the update itself went without a hitch. I couldn’t work out how to add it Apple home until I found this thread (thanks all). At first I couldn’t get it in Home on my iPad Pro, but I thought I’d give it a go on my archaic work iPhone 5S which worked first time, at this point it also appeared on my ipad too. If you have more than one IOS device then it might be worth trying another one.

BTW once I’d got it working I asked Siri to play “Idles” (I saw them live last night) so it responded saying that it couldn’t find anything by “Idols” . I then told it to play Spotify and was informed that “I’m sorry I can’t do that in your region” (I’m in Switzerland)...

If it makes any difference I have the Mu-so on Ethernet connected to a Ubiquiti Unify switch and the IOS devices connected to a Unify access point.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by dave simpson

A big shout out to forum member PJLarge here!

Downgrading to firmware v1.5.5 on my Muso has restored Airplay functionality! I'll let Naim Support know assuming they'll contact me at some point.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Tambourineman

Greetings to forum members since I am new here. I also lost functionality after the firmware update and have not received practical advice from the helpdesk. Would be very grateful for advice on how to downgrade!

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by dave simpson

Tambourineman,

I'm new to the Muso so I'm not sure if all Muso firmware versions work with all Musos. My month old Muso came with firmware version 1.5.5 so I got lucky when I got a copy via email from a forum friend. If you're comfortable upgrading (or downgrading in this case) your firmware version manually via a web browser from a computer on the same network as your Muso, email Naim Support with your Muso stats (Muso app>Settings>About) and ask them to email you the the oldest firmware file version for your particular unit. 

I still don't have a solution from Naim yet with my new Muso and firmware v 1.7 but firmware version 1.5.5 has completely restored Airplay functionality to my Muso.  In my opinion, the problem seems to be with a bug in v1.7 as all of my devices display a signal drop in iTunes 40 seconds into play when the Muso is clearly online at the time with no network drops, no extraordinary latency and a good signal/noise ratio for wireless. Restore v 1.5.5 and AirPlay works without issue from the Muso for hours on end with zero drops.  Fortunately, I bought my Muso via Amazon Prime so have an extended return period until the end of January next year to get this resolved if they think it's a hardware issue with my particular Muso.

Best of luck and keep us updated,

Dave

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by EoinKav

Just a word of warning about applying upgrades / downgrades. In a previous thread regarding the Atoms, Naim stated the it may not always be possible in the future to downgrade a firmware version after a firmware upgrade. The reason being that perhaps some core component APIs for music streaming services may be updated to take advantage of the new functionality within the firmware. A downgrade may not necessarily revert the APIs leaving them incompatible with the downgraded firmware.

It is best to check directly with Naim and request firmware directly for them, this is also part of the reason why Naim do not have different firmware versions available on line.