Speaker upgrade Raidho X1 or Dynaudio C20

Posted by: airjordan on 18 November 2018

Thinking about to upgrade my speakers from Monitor audio rx2 to either Raidho X1 or Dynaudio Contour C20. Both same price as second hand. My room is 4m wide and 6m long  and my current system is  Naim 272 with 555ps and nap 300dr. Does anyone have experience with theses speakers, Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by airjordan

I use Supra mains distribution block. 1 plug without filter which I use with power amp, and the rest 5 plug with filter. Should I upgrade the distribution block before speaker and speaker cables?

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Octa_dyn

I would. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Mike-B

The Super blocks use a NIF (non-intrusive filter) & in theory it should not affect the Naim performance as does a typical C&D mode choke with its X&Y capacitors.   But looking at the circuit diagram for the Supra,  all I see is a pair of MOV (voltage sensitive resistors) which are surge protectors, not noise suppressors.  The block also has some common mode ferrite chokes which will suppress some noise,  but not the lower frequency level noise.  So yes in theory if the power supply is good, the filter should not affect amp & SQ performance.   However, I have never found MOV's actually improve SQ,  if anything they could have a negative effect.    I would swap it out for a bog standard cheap power block & listen to that & judge if it affects SQ,  that will give you some ideas about the way to go & if its time to change the Supra.  IMO if your mains power is good you don't need a filter.   

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by airjordan

The problem is, main power in my apartment is really bad. And we sometimes have electrical cuts. Normally I don't like the surge protectors and filters. But, to solve this problem, I start using supra in short term.

I'm thinking about opera consonance d15 Power conditioner. I don't know if its good but The D-linear15 supplies 3 groups, which totals 10 output ports, including the digital power supply, the analog power supply and the power output power supply.

My other options are ; Furutech DAYTONA 303E or Gigawatt PC-3EVO.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Octa_dyn
airjordan posted:

The problem is, main power in my apartment is really bad. And we sometimes have electrical cuts. Normally I don't like the surge protectors and filters. But, to solve this problem, I start using supra in short term.

I'm thinking about opera consonance d15 Power conditioner. I don't know if its good but The D-linear15 supplies 3 groups, which totals 10 output ports, including the digital power supply, the analog power supply and the power output power supply.

My other options are ; Furutech DAYTONA 303E or Gigawatt PC-3EVO.

Have you considered an on-line UPS? Won't improve the sound but will keep the system running (for a while depending on the load) during a power outage. Now I mention an on-line because the output is always from the batteries. A back up UPS only kicks in the batteries when the unit senses a power outage or a severe sag meaning you run off wall until that happens. The on-line units also regulate the voltage.

Back when I had the Octave V70se and later the V110 (tube integrated) my power would fluctuate between 112V and 128V per my DVM. Not good especially for tubes. So I bought a PurePower 1050 from the manufacturer since no dealers were in my state. I will say I couldn't really hear a difference. It kept the voltage at a rock solid 120V. I would on occasion I would unplug it from the wall just to drain the batteries a bit. Once I got side tracked and forgot about it. Took about 45 min for the unit to shut down when the batteries got very low. For me and a few others the unit worked flawlessly. I mention that because on other forums there were many complaints from folks who had problems and had an extremely hard time dealing with PurePower to get the unit repaired. There are several other manufacturers that make very good 'audio' grade on-line Un Interuptable Power supplies. When I upgraded from the Octave to Aavik I traded in my PurePower 1050 mainly because the power fluctuations I was experiencing was due to a faulty transformer that fed mine and several other homes. When they replaced the transformer my power went to a steady 125V.

Because I had earlier mentioned Ansuz Mainz I will tell you they do not regulate or protect the output. They will clean up some noise you don't know that is even there which will result in an audible result. They currently have 4 models and as you go up the line the audible difference is very noticeable. In fact you can daisy chain them with great results. At the 2018 Axpona show the Raidho room that had the D1.1's used 2 Mainz D-TC's (23K USD retail each ). On the last day I brought mine for a total of 3 and honestly it did improve the sound but not to the degree that 2 had made.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by airjordan

[@mention:25360285705710963] Thank you for the reply. I'll focus on the power section before changing the speakers.  Meanwhile I have the chance to try Graham Audio LS5/9 with nap300dr. So far I like LS5/9 the most. I couldn't find the  Raidho XTs, and didn't want to demo D1s as they are over my budget.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by 2WheelsRBetter

I auditioned the Graham Audio LS5/9 on Naim NAC-N272 w/XPSDR and NAP250DR before ultimately purchasing my Harbeth SLH5+ 40th Anniversary Ed. I loved the Graham Audios. I went with the slightly larger Harbeths only because I wanted a bit more base response in my room. The signature of both was very similar in the mid and high ranges otherwise. I still think abaout the Graham Audios sometimes. Lovey sound. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by mm17
airjordan posted

Do you think if there is much difference between X1 and XT1?

A few months ago, I got the chance to compare the X1 and XT1 in the same system. I had heard the X1 twice before, in different systems. While admiring the gob-smacking sound stage and the oodles of detail, I had found them to be too obviously analytical and over-etched for my taste. No lack of quality at the front in either case. The first was an NDS-based system – don’t remember the amplification, but I think at least 282/250 level. The second was using the very nice Norma integrated – don’t remember the source.

So I wasn’t particularly interested in hearing them for a third time, but the dealer and I thought that it would make a useful reference before moving to the XT1. Well, the X1 (with CDX2 and Aavik DAC/integrated) had the same effect on me that it had had on the previous two outings – broadly summarized as “Now can we move onto something else, please”. The XT1 was a surprise. A much more mature and tonally rounded speaker. All the detail of the X1, but presented in a musically much more natural context. The bass is remarkably strong – quality that belies the inevitable (given the size) lack of quantity.

As a Scansonic MB 2.5 owner, I am a fan not only of Raidho/Scansonic ribbon tweeters, but also of the seamless way that they integrate with the rest of the unit. The XT1 is right in that tradition, and I think one of the best speakers of its type.