Atom - any progress on display off when playing ?

Posted by: cdboy on 18 November 2018

There was chat a year ago about the inability to turn the Atom display off when in use. See here: https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...-while-playing-howto

Any update please Naim? As the new streamers have this option surely it cannot be too hard to implement on the Uniti range? 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by Mercky
SimonPeterArnold posted:

All I want is gapless playback from other upnp control apps so I can play Qobuz or other stuff when not Rooning . I absolutey loath the Naim app worst control software ever. I like screen but agree it needs an off option or time out at least. 

Couldn’t agree more, the screen has been badly implemented to say the least. I think they thought everyone would be blown away by a colour screen and dident think it through during development. I do like the display as such but it’s poorly thought out.

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by Woj

I think they thought about the screen during the development but just before the product launch something has happened and they decided to go in a different direction with it. If you watch the promotional video available under uniti range product presentation or on the YT Naim channel (https://youtu.be/1YuVX9nPl0E) an pause it at 1min16sec you will notice that the menu on the screen looked completely different. There is icon 'music' probably intended to allow UPNP interface, there is 'search ' icon probably to look for albums or songs via UPNP (and remote?), there are small icons on the side probably displaying active inputs? There is a 'clock' icon too. The 'now playing' screens sown throughout the video are also different and contain the album art and the song info. Other sources on the internet show for example many pictures of the screen showing multiple music folders etc. It looks that the Uniti range was for a long time designed with many more configuration  but something has changed in the last minute that lots of these functionalities were for some reason dropped what these reasons could be I can only speculate. Possibly a screen off or dim was also axed. The only hope is that Naim is still showing this video so maybe at some point they will update the software so the interface and the screen will 'flexible'. 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by DomTomLondon
Woj posted:

I think they thought about the screen during the development but just before the product launch something has happened and they decided to go in a different direction with it. If you watch the promotional video available under uniti range product presentation or on the YT Naim channel (https://youtu.be/1YuVX9nPl0E) an pause it at 1min16sec you will notice that the menu on the screen looked completely different. There is icon 'music' probably intended to allow UPNP interface, there is 'search ' icon probably to look for albums or songs via UPNP (and remote?), there are small icons on the side probably displaying active inputs? There is a 'clock' icon too. The 'now playing' screens sown throughout the video are also different and contain the album art and the song info. Other sources on the internet show for example many pictures of the screen showing multiple music folders etc. It looks that the Uniti range was for a long time designed with many more configuration  but something has changed in the last minute that lots of these functionalities were for some reason dropped what these reasons could be I can only speculate. Possibly a screen off or dim was also axed. The only hope is that Naim is still showing this video so maybe at some point they will update the software so the interface and the screen will 'flexible'. 

I was also puzzled by the emission of these features and the screen, when I received my Atom a year ago. I quickly realised that many features from the original Uniti range were missing, plus what was being advertised on the Naim site didn't actually look anything like it on my Atom. I contacted Naim about it. Unfortunately, the answer I received was not very hopeful and so I returned the Atom and purchased a SuperUniti instead, and been very happy with it.

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by TallGuy

Digressing a little, I can't see that navigation of UPNP 'stuff' would be easy with the supplied remote as it has no alpha-numberic capabilities.  You'd need an awful lot of up/down/select button pushing. Maybe why the display was changed. I'd still rather have it though

I do know the display has been seen in the wild looking different - what I saw at Bristol HiFi show in Feb 2017 wasn't what was finally released.

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by Woj

I think I saw a picture of the screen showing alphabet on the screen allowing to scroll through the letters with the remote.

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by DomTomLondon

Yes the display did look different and more intuitive when the new Uniti range was first announced. There was also a feature to rip CDs with the Atom and Nova with an attached optical drive. These were later removed. And many people, myself including, ordered our units early to get the original price as well.

i will think twice about purchasing another new naim product next time around.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by ChrisSU
TallGuy posted:

Digressing a little, I can't see that navigation of UPNP 'stuff' would be easy with the supplied remote as it has no alpha-numberic capabilities.  You'd need an awful lot of up/down/select button pushing. Maybe why the display was changed. I'd still rather have it though

I do know the display has been seen in the wild looking different - what I saw at Bristol HiFi show in Feb 2017 wasn't what was finally released.

The old streamer remote (Narcom 5) had no alpha keys either, but you could still control YPnP with it. Worked fine, other than you had to scroll down a long list.