dBpoweramp ripping weirdness

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 20 November 2018

Until recently, when I ripped a CD it was very quickly found and the tracks, picture etc populated. But recently, the CD is scanned and the ‘in Accuraterip’ message appears, but no metadata is populated. When I choose ‘rip’ it then says ‘retrieving metadata’ and only when that is done, which can take several minutes, does the metadata appear and the rip starts. I haven’t changed any setting and I am wondering why the ripping behaviour has changed, and whether others are experiencing this. 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

This is a dBpoweramp ripping issue and does not relate to Asset. If you have meta issues you can, however, fix them using the metadata editing within dBPoweramp. 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by audio1946

some having problems with no metadata are saying that on of the meta providers AGM IS NO LONGER Availabling and should be disabled  ,I cant see how this is done when ripcast/asset when viewed with windows home server . some common new  cds dont rip saying on screen no meta datais available  if I rerip this cd on JJ RIVERS it will find the metadata ok.   from the home sever page how can I access meta data providers and disable the problem AMG THANKS

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Stephen Tate

Ok, I have now hit a hurdle. When I now try to rip a CD I now get a message saying Accuraterip does not recognise my drive. Never had any problems before. When I command rip, I just get 'error' come up on every track. There is a message at the end of it all saying something about adjusting the  'driver off set' ?  Any ideas chaps?

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Mike-B

Hi Stephen,   I have a similar problem with the remote DVD drive that came with my laptop, whereas an old noisy drive I’ve used previously is OK.   I just rip in super secure mode,  it runs 3 passes if I remember correctly,  & is a lot slower as a result compared to Accuraterip.   It simply copies the CD & verifies it has captured it all,  & if the CD has errors in the data,  defective sectors etc., it reports it.   Whereas AR compares your CD data against a number of other CD rip data stored on-line. 

I’ve tried all that dBpoweramp have advised to get AR up & running but nothing fixed it, I felt I must be missing something,  would be nice if someone has an answer,  especially for getting the offset thing sorted.

TBH it does not really bother me as I ripped all my CD collection on other drives using AR & the odd CD I buy these days just takes an extra few minutes with Securerip.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’d ask Mr Spoon on the dBPoweramp forum, unless he spots the question here. 

One simple option might be to completely uninstall dB from the computer and then reinstall it. It would then think it’s on a new computer and hopefully sort out the offset. I may not of course, which is why asking Mr Spoon might be a safer bet. 

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Sloop John B

Try right clicking and select run as administrator if you’re on Win 10. This worked for me when a CD drive couldn’t be seen. 

.sjb

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Gavin B
Stephen Tate posted:

Ok, I have now hit a hurdle. When I now try to rip a CD I now get a message saying Accuraterip does not recognise my drive. Never had any problems before. When I command rip, I just get 'error' come up on every track. There is a message at the end of it all saying something about adjusting the  'driver off set' ?  Any ideas chaps?

I've been getting something like that occassionally - I seem to remember it asks about re-calibrating the drive,

Mine seems to work again by simply restarting the CD ripper software.

No idea what causes this.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Stephen Tate

Ok, thanks for your replies guys.

Things I've tried so far :

uninstalling and reinstalling (a few times) - made no difference.

Gone through all of the settings that look obvious - made no difference.

Looked on the dBpoweramp forum searching for answers from similar problems brought up by some members; I have tried a few things that were suggested by contributors including Mr Spoon - made no difference.

At the moment I cant' rip anything - at a complete loss as to what to do. Everything has worked fine with the same drive. Never had any issues in the past, this has come out of the blue.

Have gone into Windows 10 to check drive with a diagnostic - drive is 100% healthy.

I will try what SJB suggests or at least have a look about running as administrator.

Thanks

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Guinnless

I wouldn't rely on Windows to tell you the drive is fine.  New drives are peanuts - just buy a new one.

I'm not getting the Desktop Icon even though I have selected the options.

As soon as I put in any disc in the drive I am getting this after about 30 seconds of hearing the drive go frantic...

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by mrspoon

You would have to post a new message to the dBpoweramp forum, we are not able to offer support here for many reasons.

Of course. Thank you.

Mike-B posted:

Hi Stephen,   I have a similar problem with the remote DVD drive that came with my laptop, whereas an old noisy drive I’ve used previously is OK.   I just rip in super secure mode,  it runs 3 passes if I remember correctly,  & is a lot slower as a result compared to Accuraterip.   It simply copies the CD & verifies it has captured it all,  & if the CD has errors in the data,  defective sectors etc., it reports it.   Whereas AR compares your CD data against a number of other CD rip data stored on-line. 

I’ve tried all that dBpoweramp have advised to get AR up & running but nothing fixed it, I felt I must be missing something,  would be nice if someone has an answer,  especially for getting the offset thing sorted.

TBH it does not really bother me as I ripped all my CD collection on other drives using AR & the odd CD I buy these days just takes an extra few minutes with Securerip.

Yes, i'm starting to think the whole thing is corrupt. I.m going to stick with a physical format, my NAS will be used for gaming instead. Back to CDs and vinyl for me.

Thanks.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Stephen Tate posted:
.... Back to CDs and vinyl for me.

Please don't overlook FM radio, Stephen

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Mike-B
Stephen Tate posted:  
Yes, i'm starting to think the whole thing is corrupt. I.m going to stick with a physical format, my NAS will be used for gaming instead. Back to CDs and vinyl for me.

Please don’t give up on this,  it’s a minor glitch,  why throw in the towel without at least doing something, it’s only you that will suffer, have you posted this problem on the dBpoweamp forum yet,  if so I can’t find it.  The bottom line is somethings gone wrong at your end,  OK anyone can have a problem, but the vast majority of dBpoweramp users have zero problems,  I have a single problem that I know is in my DVD drive,  it’s not an actual dBp problem as such, but even so the problem only occurs with AR,  SecureRip works perfectly.   

So please don’t quit, at least ask dBp MrSpoon forum the question

You are absolutely correct Mike and thankyou for your positive kindness. I have joined the dBpoweramp forum and Mr Spoon suggested I go and have a look at my security settings. Well; what do you know, I do now remember changing some settings not so long ago but had no idea that it would of effected the CD ripper software. I am very pleased to say that the desktop icon has reappeared (after I uninstalled and then reinstalled) and I am now secure ripping again! 

I still get the configuration box pop up but I just press the configure box and the drive gets to work. There are still a few niggles to iron out but hey, i'm back on the road again! I was really starting to feel down hearted but hey ho, I live and learn...

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Stephen; stick at it, even though it must be a year by now of you in turns wanting to give streaming a go and then giving it all up. Do us a favour tho; screenshots. Photographs of a screen are a bit 1990s. Try this. Click on the application (e.g. DB PowerAmp) that you want to capture a shot of, then press Alt + Print Screen (or Alt + Prt Scrn), then open Paint & copy [Ctl+V] that captured image & save it. Or type WInKey + Snip then Enter to fire up the snipping tool to take a screen grab, and save that.

I get that you find computers a chore, but stuff like this is trivial and makes it so much easier to get the bigger picture, literally.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by blythe
audio1946 posted:

some having problems with no metadata are saying that on of the meta providers AGM IS NO LONGER Availabling and should be disabled  ,I cant see how this is done when ripcast/asset when viewed with windows home server . some common new  cds dont rip saying on screen no meta datais available  if I rerip this cd on JJ RIVERS it will find the metadata ok.   from the home sever page how can I access meta data providers and disable the problem AMG THANKS

I also cannot find the Meta tab where I can disable AMG. Where is it? It's not in the top left corner. (Although there is a button, I can't find/see any option to remove AMG)
Mac OSX Mojave, DBPowerAmp V15.8

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

in Windows [with a CD in] the Meta button has drop-down arrow; expand that and deselect it from there. Mac OSX may differ though.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by blythe

It looks similar to the Mac version but I can't see AMG listed, although when ripping a CD, it says "Looking Up AMG, MusicBrains" etc. etc.