Speakers for Uniti Nova

Posted by: kdl6769 on 21 November 2018

I am about to take possession of a Uniti Nova, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for speakers that might pair well.   My music taste is pretty eclectic, but tends to be focused on classic jazz, indie pop, guitar-driven rock, 60s/70s R&B, folk, a little classical. My listening space is not ideal - long and narrow, with speakers likely to be fairly close to the wall, so placement versatility is relevant.  I currently have Linn Majik 109s, but suspect that, fine speakers through they are, they may not be a match for the Nova.  (They also do best when used in Linn's "aktiv" configuration and tri-wired, which isn't really an option.)   I'd prefer compact floorstanders to stand-mounted monitors, and had my eye on Spendors - either A2 or A4, although the latter is getting up there in price, at least here in the US.  Suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by kdl6769

I will see if I can track them down (does not seem easy). Still on the too pricey side for me but they do seem great. Small footprint is key.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by cdboy

"Small footprint is key."   Do look at Totem options. They sound great with Naim.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Timo
kdl6769 posted:

I will see if I can track them down (does not seem easy). Still on the too pricey side for me but they do seem great. Small footprint is key.

I also didn't want to spend that much, but I could not not get them... They worked really well in our living room. And I thought the 25.23 won't become the "weakest link" when upgrading the system -- well, upgrades within my financial means. No 500 series in Casa T, I am afraid... 

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by dalmatian

Naim SBLs, sound great with a Nova and has a small footprint, close to the rear wall positioning and are very affordable.

Nick

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by jheidelo
kdl6769 posted:

To the person who kindly suggested the ProAc Response DT8: are these big floorstanders, and are they fussy about positioning?  My space is a bit size-challenged (narrow-ish), and the speakers will need to be reasonably close to walls, so floorstanders on the more compact side that are somewhat versatile in terms of positioning would be ideal. Thanks.

I would say they are definitely on the smaller side as floorstanders go and my own experience seems to suggest that they aren't terribly fussy, though I haven't done a tremendous amount of repositioning.  I don't have narrow walls in my listening room so I can't really speak to how well they'd perform in such a configuration.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Closeness to side walls needs either narrow dispersion speakers or treatment of the reflecting wall (I.e nothing to do with stand or floor mounting). My favourite small (relatively) floorstanders are PMC Fact 12.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by rightcoastants

Neat Iota Xplorer (or any Neat) from the Alpha, Motive and the Momentum series would likely sound great. I am actually going to home demo the Uniti Nova and smallish Neat Iota Alphas this weekend. Having moved into a small apt with neighbours below me, I have decided to sell of my gear and downsize.  Having heard the Nova and the Alphas at a local shop, they just keep surprising me. If the room, budget and other factors allow, I may go the more recent Iota Xplorer.  My musical tastes are all over the place and find that the Neat speakers offer a high boogie factor,  fun to listen to and musical. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Skip

I have  ProAc D40R pair on the 500 rig downstairs.   They sound great but are fussy about power and placement.

I want to hear the Neat Explorer some day with a Nova or nicer Naim rig.  

They are so cool with the isobarik and so idiosyncratic with their boxy self, that I want them to win the day in my next upstairs (NaitXS based) speaker competition.  If they had a big brother, I would want to try them downstairs.  

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

The Nova is a great piece of kit. How close to the N272/300 set up you have do you think it is?

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by rightcoastants
Mike Sullivan posted:

The Nova is a great piece of kit. How close to the N272/300 set up you have do you think it is?

I do not expect the Nova to be on par with my previous 272/555/300 or even a 272/250 but it is a great sounding all-in-one and find it pairs easily with many different types of speakers. Have heard it combined with speakers such as Neat Momentum SX5i,  Neat Motive SX 1, SX 2, the newer Kanta No.1 and No. 2 and it has no issue at driving the speakers with control. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by kdl6769

I am now considering Kudos X3 and Spendor A4, both of which meet my basic specs: compact floorstanders, not too fussy about placement, available and (sort of) in the right vicinity for me price-wise. Alas I don't have an opportunity to demo/compare, and wonder if anyone has any insights about these as potential mates for the Nova (or, better yet, has compared them).  Many thanks.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by blythe

Kudos X3 works well with my Atom and I did hear the X3 with a Nova which sounded very good too.
Bass is there but not boomy in my room, sweet treble, mids sound great with vocals and I like the speakers.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by kdl6769

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Where do you think they sit on the “brightness” scale? With solid state equipment and a room that is not well damped (bare walls, high ceiling and window), I worry a little about shrillness/brightness.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by GeeJay

Has anyone auditioned the Nova with B&W 805D3 standmounters? 

I’m looking to replace my current 5.1 surround sound TV system (currently using Pioneer SC-LX85 receiver, 25 year old B&W CDM-1 standmount speakers and a REL sub) with a Nova and stereo standmount speakers, and Nova/805D3 is on my list of combos to audition.  No mention of B&W on this thread yet....????

Many thanks.

George.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Dan360

I have 804D3s with my Nova. They do well from sensible volumes up to full thump. Assassin by Muse being a favorite.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by GeeJay

Many thanks Dan - good to know.  I used to have the last generation (804D2) on the end of my music system, and do like the B&W sound (I currently have 803D3s on my Naim music room system), so know the B&W sound well. Good to know that the Nova works well with these.  My dealer has some ‘Open Box’ (not really used) 804D3s for sale at a good price, however they are gloss black (not a finish that will work in our living room), and I’m thinking of the 805D3s in rosenut finish as they are visually nearer to my current CDM-1s (concerned that floor standers could be visually over-domineering in our living room).

Thanks again.

ATB. George.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Dan360

I have the Piano black and I like them, esp with the covers on. They are large, so a little "shrine to hifi" about them, but I forgave myself that because I don't have a double rack side by side in my living room with 100K's worth of Naim boxes in them :-)

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Flachead

I’m planning to change my speakers in 2019, will be going for standmount and have thus far shortlisted:

Elac AS61
Focal Sopra 1
B&W 805 D3
Focal Kanta 1
Marten Duke 2
Dynaudio Contour 20
Dali Epicon 2
KEF Reference 1
Dynaudio S40

I’ve thus far only listened to the Marten’s (which I loved) and the B&W (which I wasn’t sure about). Fun times ahead...

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Callas01
kdl6769 posted:

I am now considering Kudos X3 and Spendor A4, both of which meet my basic specs: compact floorstanders, not too fussy about placement, available and (sort of) in the right vicinity for me price-wise. Alas I don't have an opportunity to demo/compare, and wonder if anyone has any insights about these as potential mates for the Nova (or, better yet, has compared them).  Many thanks.

Kudos only have 1 dealer in the US in Chicago. Spendor maybe a few more, I know 1 in California and 1 in Chicago. 

Dynaudio X34s are small towers. However I think the Special 40s would be better.