Recommended concert DVD’s or Blu-ray’s

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 05 December 2018

Thought it would be good to open a thread on tops for great concert DVD’s or Blu-ray’s. As we sometime also move the music to the screen. As in the early years the picture quality was not always perfect I suggest we focus on sound impressions first. I will start with an absolutely stunning one, Pulse of Pink Floyd...

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Kevin-W

The best in-performance film ever, (mostly) recorded in October '71 has no audience (save a film crew, some roadies and a couple of local kids bunking off school).

Despite the addition of some naff effects on "The Director's Cut" it still remains - along with the live disc of "Ummagumma" a powerful record of what was at the time one of the very best live bands in the world. They would never reach these levels of intensity again, except on the '77 "In the Flesh" tour.

Set the controls! I mean, does anything get any better than this?

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by fatcat

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature.

Lots of classics, as well as tracks from Two Against Nature.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ALANP

Greatest Hits - Live At Montreux 2011 [Blu-ray] [2012]

Granted, a hits heavy set list ,but with excellent SQ and picture there is much to enjoy.It's always a pleasure to see the percussionists in action and Mr S is on form.Oh and with a guest spot from Derek Trucks and his missus what's not to enjoy?  

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by fatcat

Todd Rundgren - Live In Japan (Nearly Human Tour)

A must see DVD, if you get Todd Rundgren. If you don't don't bother.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ALANP

Image result for the concert for george

An emotional evening captured in all it's glory and a triumph for all concerned.I deny anybody not to be moved during Joe Brown's concert closer "I'll See You In My Dreams". Superb bonus material too.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by joerand

Alan beat me to it; Concert For George. Exquisite performances by all involved and likely the greatest collection of rock artists that will ever be assembled at a single concert. Unfortunate that Dylan couldn't attend.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by tonym

Concert For George is generally excellent, but I confess to skipping through the Ravi Shankar bit...

Another goody - although for some reason their superb version of Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" is included as an extra, rather than in the main performance.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Gazza

Yes concert for a George, and Joe Brown kind of stole the show with his performance at the end, not a dry eye in the house. Never realised he was one of George,s best mates.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Crispy
Stevee_S posted:

Metallica's S&M is one of my favourites.

On the subject of Metallica, Through the Never has stunning sound. It blows me away every time and has a great feel if being on stage with them.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by MDS

I can highly recommend this especially if, like me, you are a big Melody Gardot fan.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by winkyincanada

These are all very good.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

I will at one which is on my favorite list as the execution of this concept album is so well done and the music so nice, you really feel the story of the album. Highly recommended for fans of progressive rock...

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Brilliant

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by winkyincanada

Just watching this. It's great. Great sound for the Live Aid set. The Montreal stuff is a bit "improved" (with additional post-production overdubs) perhaps, but it sounds great, too.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by tonym

SWMBO's favourite concert video. They never bothered to put it out on BluRay, but nevertheless, there are a few excellent performances here in a very varied bill. Memorable because Phil Collins, the "House" drummer, impressively plays drums throughout the whole thing. No wonder his arms are now b*ggered.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by GeeJay

Managed to cash in my HMV points and treated myself to these  BluRays;

Have ripped them to 24/48 Flac files and have been listening to them on the system.  My favourite is Beth Hart - excellent concert, followed by the Queen concert.  Least favourite is Dave Gilmore - sounds very much like his live at Gda?sk concert, and similar playlist.  The Queen concert is the most interesting to watch, and nostalgic, especially given that Bohemian Rhapsody movie is still fresh in my mind.

I also bought and ripped this DVD - sounds superb!

ATB. George.