Weird Tidal problem.

Posted by: Mike1951 on 06 December 2018

All of a sudden, when opening Tidal throughthe NAIM app., my playlists won’t automatically play the next track when the previous one has finished. It either takes a long long time to do it, or it jumps to a completely different track (randomiser is set to the off position) or if I tap the next song, it displays the info., does nothing, then the info screen goes blank?

What the actual ....? Anybody else getting this?

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by alan33

Agree, David... not a common fault, not sure how it can be the app vs the ND5xs (I didn’t spot that, sorry). I’m a fan of using latest firmware and when beta program was first launched, the problems I was experiencing with Qute all went away (well, apart from poor wifi connection, which I solved by using an Apple Airport Express to do the networking). Obviously can’t promise developer attention as I’m just a customer / Uniti owner...

Also agree simplifying network and understanding what else works and what else doesn’t is a good start. The slow population of the Albums, Tracks, Playlists, Radio listing is a very strong clue even though it is not the biggest obstacle to using the streaming service. This should definitely be explored to understand quality of networking.

On Tidal, just to be sure: no other devices trying to stream at same time, right? If iPhones or iPads are logged in, that’s okay; if playing locally stored downloaded content in offline mode (allowed on up to three devices per single account), that’s okay; if trying multiple live streams simultaneously, that’s an issue and we have no transparent error messaging on Naim, so silent failure mode might be expected. Could try logging out of all Tidal instances then logging back in only on ND5 to check this idea.

If the ND5 is wireless, always best to check if a long wire temporary Ethernet connection (just draped across the floor or up the stairs or whatever) provides a fix or at least a different experience. Can also try other wifi receiver that connects to streamer via wire, but not needed if a long wire can be tried first.

All other usual debugging steps assumed: complete restart of modem/router, switches, devices, etc. Plus double checking all other network functions (web login to device status page; iRadio performance; local UPnP streaming performance) to be really sure it’s just the Tidal interface breaking down...

Regards alan

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike-B

Hi again Mike,  sorry you are still not getting it sorted,  but why was the other thread pulled ???

Mike1951 posted:

Nothing works. 

By “nothing” what do you mean? Nothing fixed the Tidal “only one track” problem? Or nothing network related is working on your ND5?

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by David Hendon
Mike-B posted:

Hi again Mike,  sorry you are still not getting it sorted,  but why was the other thread pulled ???

I assume  it’s just that because Mike started a second more specific thread, Richard closed the earlier one.

best

David

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike1951

I mean none of the things I’ve done to try and fix the problem have worked.

I’m hard-wired, BTW.

There’s nothing wrong with Tidal, it works perfectly well through it’s own app both on my iPad and Samsung mobile.

My iRadio list works fine also. There’s something wrong when I try to interface with Tidal through the NAIM app to stream my albums and playlists.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by GraemeH

I’m having odd problems with Tidal too. Mainly the ‘one track’ issue but sometimes a few tracks will play then stop - always between tracks. 

Irritating.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike1951

And now, trying to reload my iRadio stations after the factory reset, there’s nothing under U.K. ‘All Stations’. A complete blank.

WTF is going on?

Obviously frustrating, and definitely you want Naim support to start chiming in when the work-week resumes. For sure call and email to get in touch directly.

I'm puzzled mainly at the sporadic networking connectivity that you are experiencing via your ND5. I know it's difficult to accept, but "Tidal is working fine" (or "my internet is working fine") is not incompatible with "my ND5 network connection is wonky and I'm having issues"... since I think the network connection to your ND5 is really what's problematic. That your "Albums / Tracks / Radio / Playlists" info on the app fills in wrongly / slowly sometimes is one sign; that you can no longer browse Internet Radio -> Location -> Europe -> United Kingdom -> All Stations is another sign... my app takes about  a tenth of a second to populate a list of goodness knows how many stations, starting with A.Radio 70s Juice and ending with 98.8 Castle FM. This new issue is clearly not a Tidal functionality problem. If your ND5 remote handset allows you to select internet radio and search through the list using the on-screen interface (the older Uniti boxes, including Qute, used to have this feature), can you see anything there (ie is it just on the iPhone app where it is missing, or is it not seeing it in the streamer). 

I have no idea what has changed for you: any sign of new firmware flashed to your ISP modem/router? any new things you've done in your house (switches, devices, whatever)? any chance the wiring has been touched, moved, dislodged? any joy if you remove the wire and go wifi from your NDX to your modem/router/access point?

alan

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Guinnless

If you have a phone with a 4G (or even 3G might do it), tether the ND5 to your phone an see how it goes.

From the Naim App you can obtain a list of all the Firmware, IP addresses etc  Post them here and we can compare notes.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike-B
David Hendon posted:
Mike-B posted:

.........  why was the other thread pulled ???

I assume  it’s just that because Mike started a second more specific thread, Richard closed the earlier one.

OK,  I guess I missed that one as I was out most of yesterday.   Shame because I felt the thread was making progress.   Let’s hope, if it was as you suspect, that Richard can zap just the offending stuff. 

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Guinnless

My ND5XS

Product: ND5XS IP Address: 192.168.1.75 App: 2.8.2 App Build: 4658 ARM APP: 4.6.00 ARM BSL: 1.2.22 3D APP: 14171 3D BSL: 1874 3D CNE: 13731

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Mike1951

So... this might be the problem. I’ve got streamer version 4.4.72.

Hopefully downloading 4.6.00 will sort it...

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Certainly worth doing the update. If it’s the first streamer firmware update you’ve done, be careful to follow the instructions to the letter. A few people seem to have been running into problems with the required USB driver on their computer for this. 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by David Hendon

4.4 was the version that introduced Tidal so it should work fine. But anyway as Chris says it’s worth putting the latest on, not least because Naim support will certainly tell you to before they give any real thought as to what the problem might be.

best

David

4.6.00 on. Problem still there.

Guinnless posted:

My ND5XS

Product: ND5XS IP Address: 192.168.1.75 App: 2.8.2 App Build: 4658 ARM APP: 4.6.00 ARM BSL: 1.2.22 3D APP: 14171 3D BSL: 1874 3D CNE: 13731

I’ve got:

IP: 192.168.0.100/ App version: 5.11.2/ Build: 4.3.4.2/ ARM App: 4.6.00/ ARM BSL: 2559.2/ CNE: 14095.73

I’ve noticed that IP address displayed on the NAIM app bears no relation to my actual IP address.

Is this as it should be?

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Mike-B
Mike1951 posted:

I’ve noticed that IP address displayed on the NAIM app bears no relation to my actual IP address.

Is this as it should be?

I don't understand what you are saying Mike,  the IP address shown in the app is the ND5xs IP address,

Ah ha. That explains it.

I think I’ve given up. Just wait for Support to get back to me. Give it ‘til Wednesday and then give them a call...

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Mike-B

Mike,  sorry if this question has been asked already and/or you've done it already;  have you tried rebooting the whole system - power everything off & turned each part on again in the right sequence.   It can help if your router & all the parts have got into a confused state with link errors & such like.   t needs to be done systematically to correctly establish LAN & wireless links.

Shut down everything that is connected or associated with your network – router, network player, NAS, switch (if you have one), control device (iPad/Pod, Android)  ...... Leave the router off for 5 or even 10 minutes: this allows the ISP to recognise that the router has gone offline.

When powering up,  wait until each item has completed its switch on process before powering up the next item, that gives everything time to establish itself & its relationship to the other devices  outside world.

Restart the system in the following order.

1. Wireless router - let it fully complete its start process.                     

2. LAN switch (if you have one)

3. NAS - let it finish

4. ND5xs … 

5. Control Device – in some cases of network discovery problems it might be beneficial to reset or even delete & re-install the app.

Give it a try,  it has been known to fix quite a few problems,  if nothing else you can tell Naim you've done it.   

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Mike1951

Thanks for that. Didn’t solve the issue, unfortunately...

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Guinnless

Do you have a different device you could use as the Control Pad to the one you are using now?

Well yes, my Android device, but the whole idea of buying the iPad was to make it easier...

Oh the irony.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Guinnless

Is it only on Tidal Playlists or do Tidal albums play normally.  Both work fine for me.

I’ve already said.

Do they? I’m SO happy for you, then. ????

Tried it from Android. Tidal doesn’t work AT ALL.