Tidal

Posted by: Richieo on 12 December 2018

Have just moved into the world of streaming with an ND5 XS2 to replace my old cd5i (italic).  So far so good sounds wise and i am really enjoying having so much music available through Tidal.

I have one question re Tidal which i am sure is a simple one.  If i go to an artist and then into albums, often there are multiple versions of the same album (with the exact same track list).  Why is this?

Thanks

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Guinnless
JimDog posted:

Nigel, do you think that's generally the case with most users - that they find Qobuz streamed from a Qnap with Bubble sounds much better than Tidal fed directly to the 272?

Is that a 272 thing, or is Qobuz better than Tidal for streamers/DACs generally?

Is there a likely technical (e.g. transmission or coding) reason - or is it just that Qobuz generally have better recordings?

My experience was Tidal most closely matched local streaming.  Something always sounded 'wrong' with Qobuz, PRaT seemed to be missing too.  I had my missus in on several comparisons and she agreed.  Most tracks were pretty much indistinguishable from local - probably from the same master.

24 bit Qobuz streams were definitely better that 16/44 so I've no idea why it just didn't  come together.  I do intend to try again though - just have to wangle another trial for a month.