Upgrade from 272/250DR to 272/300DR

Posted by: gsr on 12 December 2018

Hi,

currently have 272/250DR with PMC 25.23. Use a non-Naim XPS into 272.

Looking at upgrading to 2nd hand 300DR recently serviced.

Listen mainly to rock and electronic. Sitting position is about 8-9ft from speakers.

Good idea?

Thanks

Gordon

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by steve95775

My next move after would be a 300. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Huge

FR, from my experience

When used bare...

The streamer in the 272 is considerably better than the ND5 XS (it's between the ND5 XS and the NDX)
The preamp in the 272 is quite a bit better than the 202 (it's between the 202 and the 282)

When used with a 555...

The streamer in the 272 is quite a bit better than a bare NDX (but still not as good as an NDX/555)
The preamp in the 272 is considerably better than a 202/Hicap (but still not as good as a 282/Hicap)

Technically the streamer in the 272 is better than the ND5 XS: it uses upgraded components and circuit techniques improved by lessons learnt while designing the NDX, ND5 XS and 172.

The preamp of the 272 is almost completely unrelated to the 202, it's a much more recent type of design.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Huge
steve95775 posted:

Here in Australia a 282/HiCap/NDX2 is pretty much the same price as a 272/555 combo. If things go as planned I will be heading for one or the other next year. It will be hard to get a demo as the local dealer has the 272 as a stock line but doesn't keep 555s or 282s on the floor. So this thread is of great interest.

Unfortunately, you really need to listen to both these.  Whilst the NDX2 is superior to the 272 in almost all ways, when used bare without a power supply, the sonic signature is somewhat different.  In my opinion using an external PSU with the NDX2 make a world of difference to the 'listenability' factor.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Massimo Bertola
hungryhalibut posted:
Massimo Bertola posted:

I think there's a different reason to dessert if HH hasn't shown up yet. My opinion only, but he's posted here and there, lately...

I’ve been eating my dinner and writing Christmas cards. Some things are more important than Naim boxes.

SuperLumina cables?

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

When I upgraded three years ago from my then Superuniti I was faced with two options: NDX/SN2 or 272/250. I chose the latter for several reasons: nice volume control, only two mains wires, can be upgraded with only one box, no source to preamp interconnect so fewer wires to upgrade. I didn’t listen to either option first. These two setups are much of a muchness and both are good, and I simply couldn’t be bothered to spend hours agonising over which is better. Then last year I swapped my XPS for a 555 and the 250 for a 300. I didn’t bother to listen to them either. I guess that having owned both in non DR form in a previous life I knew what did what, so the risk of not liking them was low. So I’d say to Steve just get whichever one you like the look of. You’ll never get a consensus on the Forum.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by steve95775

Hey HH, it will probably come down to taking a punt. I have a 172/200 at present. Dealer only stocks up to 272/250.... no 202, 282, 300, XPS, 555... you get the drift. And in comparison to where I am at now, I agree, either way will be fine.

What I really want is NDX2/PS555 and a 252/Supercap/300, and some groovy Super Lumina cables and a Fraim or 6.

But at 20% of the price a 272/250 would probably get me mostly there and I can always bolt on a power supply if the itch continues. 

With the money saved I could by plenty of great wine which would possibly level out all the differences anyway.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by GraemeH

From experience the most cost effective upgrade would be to remove the non-naim psu. It dismantles the music if it’s the same one I tried. Bear (sic) in this instance is definitely better.

G

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Dan.S
GraemeH posted:

From experience the most cost effective upgrade would be to remove the non-naim psu. It dismantles the music if it’s the same one I tried. Bear (sic) in this instance is definitely better.

G

If it's the half size one, it wouldn't.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by rightcoastants

Moving from a 250DR to a pre-loved 300DR was a big step up for me. If you have the funds and feel it is better, then go for it. Later, I added a 555DR to the 272 and this was also a very significant upgrade. Both are substantial upgrades in performance.