Journey to either NDX/282/HiCapDR/250.2 or the 272/250.2

Posted by: scubafink on 14 December 2018

Hi all,

I've been reading through all the postings and need some advice.

I began my Naim journey with the UnitiQute v1 and pair of Sonus Faber Concerto speakers.  That grew into a NAC172XS/NAP155XS with the same Sonus Faber Concerto speakers that then became the NAC172XS/NAP250.2/Sonus Faber Domus Concerto floor standing speakers.

Today I'm at the crossroads of the next jump;

Option 1 - NDX/NAC282/HiCapDR/NAP250.2/Sonus Faber Domus Concerto floor standers (pre-owned NDX and NAC282) More expensive option

Option 2 - N-272/NAP250.2/Sonus Faber Domus Concerto floor standers (new N-272) Less Expensive option

My end goal is to have the best sounding system between these two choices and end my journey.....

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Mike1951
scubafink posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m going to keep to the 250.2 for now and concentrate on the 282.HiCapDR side of things. 

Im also going to use my existing Marantz Av8892A as a source until I can save for a SH NDX. 

Just need to figure out how to connect DIN from AV8802A to DIN for NAC 282. I think they’re different. 

scuba... add a NAPSC to that!

I have 282/‘Hicap”/NAPSC myself and the result over the previous 202 was breathtaking.

My front end is a ND5XS/nDAC.

Happy days.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

Personally I would not bother with a Naim streaming source I would get a non Naim streamer and separate DAC and with the money I saved I’d add a Supercap to the 282 instead of s Hicap. 

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by scubafink

Hi all,

I finally pulled the trigger an went with an all SH NDX/282/HiCapDR/NAPSC/250.2 setup through NACA5 cables to my Sonus Faber Domus Concerto speakers.  Couldn't be happier.

My next step is to home demo Focal Kanta N2, PMC twenty5.24, ProAc d30r and ATC SCM19s as replacements for my SF Domus speakers.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by boom

Congrats. You have got yourself a very well balanced system. This will bring the best out of the speakers when you do your auditions. Enjoy 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by scubafink

I’m favouring the PCM twenty5.24 and the ProAc d30r.

Tied the ATC SCM 19 and 20 but not to my liking   

Any opinions?

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Popeye
scubafink posted:

Any opinions?

I auditioned those on your list at the same time as Totems. Had in my head before demos I would be getting the PMC’s but Totem blew me and the others away including speakers 2-3x the price. 

If there is a dealer near you, well worth a listen. Just thought I’d mention as your audition list is almost identical to what mine was. 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by airjordan
scubafink posted:

Any opinions?

What you didn't like about ATC SCM19s ?

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Popeye
airjordan posted:
scubafink posted:

Any opinions?

What you didn't like about ATC SCM19s ?

Decent speakers, it’s a shame the styling is from the 80’s/90’s. For me for that reason alone they would never be considered.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by airjordan

Popeye I'm also looking for a replacement, and ATC SCM19s is one of the candidates. That's why I wanted to ask you the details. And yes it's not a stylish speaker but maybe the sound is what we need for an upgrade.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by scubafink

ATC Sound to me is too thin and lifeless. I like a brighter treble that can discern string instruments and vocals. To me, the ATCs lack this detail. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Seth

I don’t know if it makes any difference to you, as your choice will be very personal, but I’m currently auditioning an NAC-N 272/XPS DR as a “down-grade” to my 282/Hicap DR/NDX/XPS DR/Hiline (NAP 250 DR). Initial impressions are quite surprising; I thought I’d be making a large compromise, but there are things the 272 does that the 282-based set-up doesn’t. With the 282 system, I’ve never quite been happy, with an eye on further upgrades, but at the moment, it feels like I could stick with the 272 for a long time.  For me, it’s about how enjoyable music becomes and the 272 just makes every track so much more engaging, detailed (I’m hearing things I just didn’t hear before) and balanced.

Audition, always, but please don’t listen to what other people think is “better”, choose the kit that makes you smile when you play *any* piece of music.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by GraemeH
Seth posted:

I don’t know if it makes any difference to you, as your choice will be very personal, but I’m currently auditioning an NAC-N 272/XPS DR as a “down-grade” to my 282/Hicap DR/NDX/XPS DR/Hiline (NAP 250 DR). Initial impressions are quite surprising; I thought I’d be making a large compromise, but there are things the 272 does that the 282-based set-up doesn’t. With the 282 system, I’ve never quite been happy, with an eye on further upgrades, but at the moment, it feels like I could stick with the 272 for a long time.  For me, it’s about how enjoyable music becomes and the 272 just makes every track so much more engaging, detailed (I’m hearing things I just didn’t hear before) and balanced.

Audition, always, but please don’t listen to what other people think is “better”, choose the kit that makes you smile when you play *any* piece of music.

More or less the ‘downgrade’ path I took nearly 2 years ago and I still heartily agree with your observations.

G

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Seth

It’s a music lover, that 272, isn’t it?!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by ryder.
scubafink posted:

Hi all,

I finally pulled the trigger an went with an all SH NDX/282/HiCapDR/NAPSC/250.2 setup through NACA5 cables to my Sonus Faber Domus Concerto speakers.  Couldn't be happier.

My next step is to home demo Focal Kanta N2, PMC twenty5.24, ProAc d30r and ATC SCM19s as replacements for my SF Domus speakers.

Good choice. Contrary to few who are still looking for upgrades with the NAC 282, I've settled with the 282/Hicap DR/250 DR for good. I have been living with this system for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier. I am not a person who frequently upgrades components and so far the 282-based system has lived up to my expectations. I particularly like the dynamic and robust delivery of that 282 which brings life and zest to the music. Personally the 282 is a keeper to me and in my book, one that you can end your upgrade path with.

Prior to having the 282/250, I was on the 202/200 for 7 years. I still have the 202/200 which is now in my bedroom, and the ownership is now approaching 10 years. It still sounds good, the 202/200.

Enjoy~

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by scubafink

I am also looking to step off the upstage path and settle with the 282/250.2. 

I’m currently working on getting a pair of ATC SCM40s to go with the C3C centre and M&K v125 sub I currently own. This will also give me some home threatre options with my Marantz AV8802A and Rotel 5 channel power amp. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Ever since I’ve owned the 282/250DR I’ve felt that I’ve hit the sweet post.  I know the 252/300 would give more but it would take a lottery win and a 552/500 to get me to move.  

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by analogmusic

I do like my 282/250 but if I could do it again I’d buy the 252/300 instead...