Cdx2

Posted by: TOB on 16 December 2018

I have decided to up grade to a cdx2, iam going to pass on getting a streamer because the natural up grade from my Cd5xs would a cdx2, however the cdx2 has been discontinued, any advice what to look out for when purchasing a used one, it will partner my SN2-Hicap Xps, and Hugo 2. Regards.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Check with Naim but as far as I am aware all the CDX2s can be serviced.  

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by hastings

AVoptions in the U.S. used to list mech replacement prices on their site and if I remember correctly servicing the earliest CDX2s (circa 2003) was considerably more expensive than later models.  I can't recall why.  It makes sense that you would favor the most recent example regardless but perhaps the earliest examples should be avoided entirely.   

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Erich
rsch posted:

It's undisputable that streaming brings a new opportunity and versatility but, nothing is so simple and straightforward than putting your silver disc into a tray. You don't need additional storage devices, cables etc. 

Regards

Roberto

I think is not that easy.  You are describing only the last step. You should compare that to making a clic to replay either a track in your library or in the mega library of a service without even leaving your couch. I would say that the latter is easier.

I do have a cdx2 and I love it, I also have subscriptions to Tidal and Qobuz and many cds ripped and downloaded albums, I find every piece a nice complement to my experience replaying music.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
hastings posted:

AVoptions in the U.S. used to list mech replacement prices on their site and if I remember correctly servicing the earliest CDX2s (circa 2003) was considerably more expensive than later models.  I can't recall why.  It makes sense that you would favor the most recent example regardless but perhaps the earliest examples should be avoided entirely.   

I disagree, I believe all can be serviced and I was not aware of a major price difference with servicing  and the early CDX2s were in my opinion note worthily better sounding than the later... obviously one should judge for one self... but absolutely don’t discount a potentially better sounding CDP. I do have an early vintage CDX2 from new and still going very strong.. and actively compared it to the CDX2.2 when that came out to see if it was worth upgrading.. I was surprised with what I heard.. the latter CDX2.2 sound a tad drier and less involving to my ears.

The VAM1250 transport (as used in the original CDX2)  is arguably one of the best CD transports ever made... a true legend.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by gary yeowell

I agree the older CDX2 with VAM1250 is the better sounding unit, as is the CDS3 with the same mech. The CDX2 original cannot however be serviced to the same spec as the VAM1250 is no longer available. Unfortunately the CDX2 of that era would have to be modified to take the VAM 1202, same as found in the CD5XS and later CDX2.2. The modification is the reason the service would cost more. I'm not so sure that this is still the case however as Naim fixed some servicing costs. In the case of the CDS3, which would need modification also to take the cheaper less good transport, the cost as was, around £600 including the full service and modification, is now fixed at around £300 i believe....

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by bdnyc

Although this flirts with being off topic, but I wanted to add that I don't think it is as straightforward and linear as Gary and others above might be suggesting about the transport mechanisms in the Naim CD players.   I just had the US importer install a replacement transport into my CDS3, and I have to say that the pleasure of being able to play discs with no apprehension that they would start to skip or mis track, as had been the case with my original transport over the last six months of it's life, is not something to minimize.    This was not an exact before and after experiment as I also took this time to have them upgrade my 555 PS to the modern DR specs, but I would say that CD player was improved, not in any way hampered by the new transport mechanism.    I give Naim credit for their long term commitment to customer care here.    For me, this swamps any abstract notion that an ideal transport, which is no longer available due to market forces far larger than Naim, might have been better in some ways.

Good listening,

Bruce

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by benjy

I'm basically a digital dummy, but I have advanced to playing cd's. If I'm not mistaken, the op lists using a hugo 2, so wouldn't he need cd2.2 ? to continue using the hugo? I'm also looking into upgrading my cd5 with flatcap2, I've been "advised" that rather than upgrading cd, makes more sense to invest in streamer (that is what I'm leaning towards) as I'm trying to build a final system.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Christopher_M
benjy posted:

.... the op lists using a hugo 2, so wouldn't he need cd2.2 ? to continue using the hugo?

He could do that. But as I suggested in my post above, some essential Naimness might be lost compared with using the internal dac in the CDX2 or even the CDX2.2.

On the other point, the 'advice' you have received is questionable imo, and depends a lot on your circumstances and your preferences.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
gary yeowell posted:

I agree the older CDX2 with VAM1250 is the better sounding unit, as is the CDS3 with the same mech. The CDX2 original cannot however be serviced to the same spec as the VAM1250 is no longer available. Unfortunately the CDX2 of that era would have to be modified to take the VAM 1202, same as found in the CD5XS and later CDX2.2. The modification is the reason the service would cost more. I'm not so sure that this is still the case however as Naim fixed some servicing costs. In the case of the CDS3, which would need modification also to take the cheaper less good transport, the cost as was, around £600 including the full service and modification, is now fixed at around £300 i believe....

Gary, that is true, but only if the VAM1250 had failed. When servicing there are other considerations, and the VAM1250 appears a pretty robust mech... 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU
benjy posted:

.....I've been "advised" that rather than upgrading cd, makes more sense to invest in streamer....

Did this advice come from your dealer, by any chance?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by gary yeowell
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
gary yeowell posted:

Gary, that is true, but only if the VAM1250 had failed. When servicing there are other considerations, and the VAM1250 appears a pretty robust mech... 

In reality, the only time to consider a service on a CD player is if the mech fails. In the words of Naim service department. If the mech starts to skip, it's almost always on its way out.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by gary yeowell
bdnyc posted:

Although this flirts with being off topic, but I wanted to add that I don't think it is as straightforward and linear as Gary and others above might be suggesting about the transport mechanisms in the Naim CD players.   I just had the US importer install a replacement transport into my CDS3, and I have to say that the pleasure of being able to play discs with no apprehension that they would start to skip or mis track, as had been the case with my original transport over the last six months of it's life, is not something to minimize.    This was not an exact before and after experiment as I also took this time to have them upgrade my 555 PS to the modern DR specs, but I would say that CD player was improved, not in any way hampered by the new transport mechanism.    I give Naim credit for their long term commitment to customer care here.    For me, this swamps any abstract notion that an ideal transport, which is no longer available due to market forces far larger than Naim, might have been better in some ways.

Good listening,

Bruce

Bruce, i think i said that a modification to the player which enables the use of a cheaper VAM 1202 is the only option offered by Naim.. What exactly was 'straightforward and linear' in my response that your response highlighted?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by bdnyc

Not to make too fine a point of this, but I don't believe it is helpful to those Naim fans still considering having a new transport installed in older CD player to take an overly idealist stance about the potentially superior transport mechanisms that no longer exist on the market.     Of course this is not new.   Julian himself publicly bemoaned the discontinuation of the original CDM 4 mechanism that was used in the CDS(1) CD player.    All I wanted to say was how grateful to Naim I am that I could still have my beloved CDS3 rebuilt.    Many high end firms have made no such effort and Naim should be applauded for their far sighted efforts to keep some of these on hand for this purpose.

Best regards,

Bruce

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
ChrisSU posted:
benjy posted:

.....I've been "advised" that rather than upgrading cd, makes more sense to invest in streamer....

Did this advice come from your dealer, by any chance?

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
bdnyc posted:

Not to make too fine a point of this, but I don't believe it is helpful to those Naim fans still considering having a new transport installed in older CD player to take an overly idealist stance about the potentially superior transport mechanisms that no longer exist on the market.     Of course this is not new.   Julian himself publicly bemoaned the discontinuation of the original CDM 4 mechanism that was used in the CDS(1) CD player.   

I completely disagree, for certain passionate enthusiasts out there seeking out and paying a premium for the subjectively better and earlier VAM1250 mech might be precisely what they are after... what I can say I have had a CDS3 with a failing VAM1202 replacement mech (skipping) , and my CDX2 which I have owned from new with its original VAM1250..and the latter is going strong and appears to work as well it did the day I bought it all those years ago.. those 1250 mechs were built like tanks.. but yes one year I accept it will croak... like all good things will come to an end, and regrettably may need to be replaced by a VAM1202... but until then.  

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by gary yeowell

It's simple really, the VAM 1250 mech was the best sounding and most reliable mech that Naim could source at the time. If the VAM 1202 was as good, they'd have used it. Now i do appreciate that Naim have given users the opportunity to keep their CDS3s and CDX2s going by modifying players to run with the cheaper mech, and i'm sure i will be grateful if and when my VAM1250 dies in my CDS3, but after 11 years of faultless operation it still sounds sublime. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by stuart.ashen

Well, with all this advice about getting a streamer I will chip in by saying go for your CDX2, or even a CDS3, or even an LP12. There remains something special about handling physical media that streaming misses, and the SQ is (insert your bias here) better in my view. 

Stu

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Massimo Bertola
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Hi, if you like the CDX2, and I love mine, go for the earlier version with no digital out and the early transport.. to my ears it sounds better.. but do get good support for your CDX2.. I think it really sings on full fat Fraim.

The Pacific Microsonics DSP chipset and the PCM1704K DAC implementation and analogue stage is what really gives the CDX2 it’s character and sonic capabilities.. if you were to bypass that with using the the SPDIF out.. you might as well use a cheaper CD transport...

Just an opinion (* see Inspector Callahan's quote on opinions on youtube), but I have had my fourth (or fifth?), 2003 CDX2 completely rebuilt to late 2017 specs (but without dig out) and in my opinion it is the better sounding of all so far.

Second point: I think (but I'm not sure, God forbid) that the Pacific Microsonic chip is the the one for HDCD and that Naim, reportedly uninterested in HDCD, put it in the circuit because it has an excellent clock.

Agree on the idea of a less luxury transport. Haven't an opinion on the Fraim.

M