Does 252 and sc age?

Posted by: oferr on 20 December 2018

Hi everybody,

I have an opportunity to switch my 282 + 2 hcdr's for a used 252 + sc (both 7 ys old). Your kind insights will be very much appreciated.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by TomSer
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Having said that I recently powered my vintage 1950s Philips  EL3530 reel to reel - still on its original caps - and its fair to say they DO need replacing

Hi Simon,

What are the signs, what do you hear or no hear anymore that makes you understand that capacitors need to be replaced?

Thanks,

Thomas

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Bart

"Audio engineers" frequently stop at, "It's 0's and 1's."  It's a different question they ask and then answer.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by leni v
Bob the Builder posted:
lyndon posted:

NIGEL B

i seem to recall a discussion here recommending 10 years for the Olive & CB stuff and 15 years for the Black

regards

lyndon

Me too now all of a sudden it's crept down to 10 years.  I have known an electronics engineer for a few years who seems to think that if moderately used caps need changing after 10 years then Naim should be looking at getting a new supplier. Even so I would tend to believe those of us who have actually had their gear serviced and heard a difference but if your gear sounds great and your happy I'd say carry on listening.

Plus with reguleted amps there are periods when its much more then moderately used.