What music did you get for Christmas?

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 25 December 2018

Music always has played a large part in our Christmas lists and I can remember certain Christmas days by the music I got as a present. So what CD, vinyl or music file did Santa bring you?

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Plus another lava lamp (Astro: Yellow/Orange) ????

FB1672F4-8F3A-4266-818D-351B9738988F

Hendrix

Tubeway Army, Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper, Philip Glass, Philip Glass

John Fogerty, Kevin Braheny & Tim Clark, The Advisory Circle, Charlotte Gainsbourg

Hidden Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, FSOL, FSOL

Rico, Vassilis Tsabropoulos, Animat, David Behrman

Frank Bridge

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by DenisA

Galya Bisengalieva - EP ONE

Sonar - Live At Moods

Stephan Thelen - Fractal Guitar

Steve Jansen - Slope

Steve Reich - Pulse / Quartet

Loscil - Submers +  Sine Studies 3

Battles - Mirrored + Gloss Drop + EP C/B EP

Cardiacs - A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window + Sing to God

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by HamiltonNZ

Nadine Shah - Fast Food

DJ Format - Still Hungry 

Pavel Haas Quartet - Smetana

Pavel Haas Quartet - Dvorak

Jacob Banks - Village 

Alexis Ffrench - Evolution

Rhye - Blood

Seun Kuti - Black Times

Bugzy Malone - B. inspired 

Chicane - The Place You Can’t Remember, The Place You Can’t Forget

Everything Is Recorded - Everything Is Recorded

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by joe9407
Bob the Builder posted:

Re released this year and available for a sensible price not as good as a whole record as the debut Original Pirate Material but it does have some fantastic tunes.

good stuff, Bob -- and I'll have to check out Dennis at King Tubby's.

my wife and I saw the Streets at Bimbo's in San Francisco back in the day; Mike Skinner poured brandy on folks near the front of the stage and a good time was had by all.

my Christmas present to myself: a mint, original 2x LP of Pulp's This is Hardcore. 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Rolling Stones - Blue & Lonesome deluxe CD

Doors - Waiting For The Sun 50th Anniversary CD & vinyl set

Bowie - The Lost Sessions double CD

V/A - Looking At Pictures In The Sky: The British Psychedelic Sounds Of 1968 three CD box set

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by kevin J Carden

I gave Santa a list of Vinyl albums to choose from but, sadly, (s)he misunderstood and bought them all. Terrible huh? 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by AndyP19
kevin J Carden posted:

I gave Santa a list of Vinyl albums to choose from but, sadly, (s)he misunderstood and bought them all. Terrible huh? 

What an amazing haul! I have all these on CD apart from the Guy Clark album and the one in the top set bottom left with person standing outside shop???

The Stealers Wheel album is an absolute classic.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by kevin J Carden
AndyP19 posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

What an amazing haul! I have all these on CD apart from the Guy Clark album and the one in the top set bottom left with person standing outside shop???

The Stealers Wheel album is an absolute classic.

Sorry Andy, I meant to download the hi res shots so they would be visible if zoomed, but seems not. Bottom left first pic is Rosanne Cash, Kings Record Shop. IMO the best of her early albums. Kev

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Nice to see Bobbie in that haul [@mention:1566878603964446]

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Ravenswood10

Too numerous to list here but if any of you are into classical, Chandos are again offering deleted CDs for £2.50. Too good to miss.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Bob the Builder
joe9407 posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Re released this year and available for a sensible price not as good as a whole record as the debut Original Pirate Material but it does have some fantastic tunes.

good stuff, Bob -- and I'll have to check out Dennis at King Tubby's.

my wife and I saw the Streets at Bimbo's in San Francisco back in the day; Mike Skinner poured brandy on folks near the front of the stage and a good time was had by all.

my Christmas present to myself: a mint, original 2x LP of Pulp's This is Hardcore. 

A very, very talented lyricist and musician I own four rap LPs the two first Streets records,  Dr Dre's The Chronic which is a sonic masterpiece and Erica Badu's debut.  I'm still to collect DB at King Tubby's it's waiting at the post office to be collected but anything by Dennis is worth owning at his best he has one of the best tones of any singer if he was american and sang soul music he would be a household name.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Clive B

Here's a picture of the albums I received as Christmas gifts:

But I did get some socks!

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by kevin J Carden
Kevin-W posted:

Nice to see Bobbie in that haul [@mention:1566878603964446]

That leap is down to you Sir . Sadly, with the system currently stored away it will be a while before I know if it’s a successful leap, but I’m confident!

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Olly
ewemon posted:
Olly posted:

Physical CD

Khruangbin - Con Todo el Mundo

24 bit downloads

Ryan Adams - Gold

Paul Simon - Graceland

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin’

Kate Bush - Remasters PtII

So something of a bumper year

Olly

Don't know the first album but the downloads are an excellent collection of titles.

Thanks ewemon, I’m trying to be very selective about 24 bit downloads as frequently I’m buying music for the umpteenth time. I haven’t made my up about the Kate Bush remasters yet, first impression is little improvement on Hounds of Love which is something of a disappointment.  Xmas/New Year offer meant they averaged out a £10 an album though which isn’t too bad. Have been re-enjoying Rumours having never got round to buying it on CD. 

You should try Khruangbin, I think you would like them.

Olly

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Crispy

Few downloads in the stocking this year. A nice eclectic mix of

Neil Diamond - 12 Songs 24/192

Metallica - Ride the Lightning 16/44

Steve Earle - El Corazon 16/44

Christine and the Queens - Chaleur Humaine 16/44

Tom Odell - Jubilee Road 24/44

Florence and the Machine - High As Hope 16/44

Mumford and Sons - Delta 16/44

Always think Christmas is a great way of dipping into music you may not normally listen to. This was the case with Christine and the Queens and was blown away by the first listen.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by elverdiblanco

Two David Bowie on CD, hours... and Reality

New Order - Music Complete on 2xLP

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Erich

Sometimes I received music as a gift from relatives or friends that went to the shop where I buy classical music where they asked for what I had ordered and not picked up,  but I really don't like that and they know that.  In summary last xmas I didn't receive music at all. BUT I ordered ( a bit late) the new Bach box.  I haven't received it yet.