which PSU for the NAC 82

Posted by: Chris1977 on 26 December 2018

Thanks to the feedbacks from this forum, I've just purchased a near mint NAP 250-2 and I'm on the market for a NAC 82. I'm quite puzzled about the wide PSU offering. Considering a budget of one grand in the used market, I see I have three options:

Which options would sound better?

I'm not a fan of having three boxes connected to the NAC, and I know I should find two identical Hicaps to let them working at their full potential, so the second option is the least convenient, but please consider just the sheer sound quality.

Speakers are Spendor A9.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by DuncPC

I also found that the suppercap really only shines once you use the burgundy and may be that's why the 82 struggles to make the big improvement from the hicaps.

But I agree that 3 power supplies for one piece of HiFi is over kill and that's why I moved away from naim and used just one power supply to do it all and it was a shame that naim didn't bring out a 82 ps to take care off it all

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Richard Dane

The NAC52 logic circuits needed 15V. NACs 102/202/82/282 need at least 18V to unmute.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tony Lockhart
DuncPC posted:

I also found that the suppercap really only shines once you use the burgundy and may be that's why the 82 struggles to make the big improvement from the hicaps.

Yeah, a good burgundy will help any system I suppose, especially after supper

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Suzy Wong
DuncPC posted:

I also found that the suppercap really only shines once you use the burgundy

Or Bordeaux, or Cotes du Rhône..........

Don’t you just love spell-checkers.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by DuncPC

Doing posts on the Phone

plus no glasses

dosnt help much either 

But anyway you get what I mean lol, now back to the wine lol