Powerline punt?

Posted by: Popeye on 26 December 2018

Hi Guys

alot of you are aware of my system and setup now but as a reminder for those that don’t, My setup is as follows.

Dedicated supply, 10mm, 30amp type C breaker. 

NDX

HiLine

Supernait2

HiCap DR

NACA5

Totem Sky Towers.

System isn’t exactly on a dedicated stand and would welcome advice from those who have seem my system pic but it’s the only logical place in the room and it is wife friendly.

I have been given some Christmas money by a few family members that have told me to get something for my Hifi. 

I am thinking about getting 3 used Powerlines for all three of my black boxes, I am not overly bothered about demoing beforehand as I am not a cable sceptic and have heard the differences cables can and do make. Also what I can get them for, I can move on with little to no loss if I do end up being disappointed. 

For those that use them, at the right price would you have them, or keep that money aside for the potential next black box, whenever that might be?

thanks again 

Ps. I hope you are all having a great break!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Mercky
Popeye posted:
Mercky posted:
Popeye posted:
Mercky posted:

I suspect if you did a blindfold test with the power cables you won’t tell the difference, why not try it and save some cash to put towards something else

Unfortunately it’s not a slight difference otherwise I would be moving it on and not contemplating getting two more. 

I can honestly say I wasn’t expecting a significant difference!

Expectation bias can be a powerful thing 

All I can say is if you see any for sale at a good price that you could just move on with no loss, take the punt and have a listen for yourself. 

I may try and do a A,B recording via my phone as I reckon the difference would be audible on that. 

It’s funny anytime I suggest a blind test everyone shys away as if they don’t want to be proved wrong, it’s part of how expectation bias works - you’re more comfortable thinking you’ve made a positive improvement, the Hifi industry thrives on it! I did it with Ethernet cables and the results proved no perceived difference despite me been convinced otherwise. You may well be hearing an improvement and I’m not knocking it but all I’m saying is why don’t you prove it to yourself, ask your other half to replace the cables randomly when you are out of the room, do it a good few times  and get her to note the results - you might be surprised or maybe not! Strictly it should be a double blind test where she doesn’t know which cable she replaces but that’s not very practical generally 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Popeye

[@mention:73652630748744533] I just don’t need to do a blind test as I am not def, and is a obvious audible improvement. 

A test like that would be worth doing in quick succession if things were not obvious. 

Maybe my enhancements are more profound on my system due to the fact its on its own dedicated 10mm supply within 6ft of its consumer unit has anything to do with it I don’t know. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by spurrier sucks

Blind tests are not fun. I think Popeye has it right and chooses to listen instead. I have 2 Powerlines. SL interconnect and now fancy Ethernet cables. Only one I could hear a real difference in is the SL interconnect. The PLs are a maybe but I don’t have to worry about what if anymore. The Ethernet cable I’m unsure since I never went back to the cheap one to compare. That said I haven’t had any dropouts since the upgrade. All in all it’s part of the hobby and makes it fun. Besides it’s only money. More will come with some more hard work. Enjoy!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bert Schurink
Popeye posted:

[@mention:73652630748744533] I just don’t need to do a blind test as I am not def, and is a obvious audible improvement. 

A test like that would be worth doing in quick succession if things were not obvious. 

Maybe my enhancements are more profound on my system due to the fact its on its own dedicated 10mm supply within 6ft of its consumer unit has anything to do with it I don’t know. 

Tests only work when you do an A B immediately after each other and even then it’s very often not working as people are anticipating the more expensive to be better, so they hear right or wrong the improvement. Like mentioned before one needs to only be satisfied with the choices ourselves, no matter if they are real or placebo.