Turntable equivalent of ND5 XS

Posted by: Weta on 26 December 2018

Hi

I really like the ND5 XS, and currently own a Linn axis TT with a Goldring 1042. I think the ND5 XS beats it by some margin. So I'm curious to know what my next move is turntable wise. Is it a different cartridge? or are there any upgrades to an axis ? Or just bounce it for another turntable entirely,  like a Rega? or should a Linn axis beat an ND5 xs anyway?

I just don't seem to get the same bounce and detail from the axis than I do from the ND5 XS.

The rest of the system is a NAC 102 and NAP 250 into Credos

Regards

Cam

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

I run an old RP3 through a Untit2 in my second system, via a Rega phono stage and it sounds great - just upgraded the styli and had the belt and drive serviced. I don't have ny experience with others - like Naim, if you find a reliable product like the Rega, there's no need to look at others.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Loki
Weta posted:

However if I move to a better TT it makes sense that I get a wall mounted shelf now, and go from there. So I think the shelf is the 1st move.

You certainly need something to decouple the TT from the floor. Wall mount is probably simplest solution. I installed a concrete section for the system and had all the joists re-seated. No bounce now

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Weta posted:
However if I move to a better TT it makes sense that I get a wall mounted shelf now, and go from there. So I think the shelf is the 1st move.

'like'

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Mr Frog

I use ND5xs through Hugo ... which is awesome and needed to replace my aging Rega P3 with the RP10/Apheta 2 - to avoid disappointment from vinyl (compared to the Naim/Chord combo)

Of course, it may be a totally different scenario if you are using the ND5 xs without Hugo and a Rega Planar 3 or 6 may be all you actually need ????