Spotify

Posted by: coiledmagnet on 29 December 2018

Having been given tinnitus by music I have never heard before on Spotify (which I have never used) at full volume (which I have also never used) suddenly breaking into our glorious silence at any time of the day from our Unitiqute,  we want to disable Spotify or remove it completely, presumably from the Naim app.  Alternatively, if that is not possible, I believe we can disable or secure Bluetooth, which we also don’t need.  We tried securing Bluetooth but that didn’t work.

We suspect that it was caused inadvertently by our grandson linking his new wireless headphones to his IPad on Christmas Day next to our equipment but he is now 35 miles away, oddly enough in Salisbury in their house from which they can see the Naim factory.  I told them to lob a few fireworks at it but there is nobody there until next week.

i am reluctant to drive over there to confiscate the Ipad so please can anybody help before my PMC speakers are damaged, although they probably are already.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by coiledmagnet

If your amplifier’s volume control can be adjusted remotely via your Nam app, then you may be un-comforted since the person who switches Spotify onto your system can adjust your volume control too.  I have a Unitqute 2 with no volume control knob in one room and a NACN-272 and 250DR with a volume control knob in another which I always turn down after use.  Both played music when my grandson ‘s ipad and wireless headphones were switched on 35 miles away and both adjusted the volume to his setting which, on the one fateful occasion, happened to be maximum.  Fortunately, by that time, I had switched off the power amp connected to the NACN272, fearing the worst - which duly occurred with the Unitiqute.  If my best speakers connected to the powerful amp had suddenly switched on with full volume, I should have feared for the structure of the house!  ‘Spooky’ as Dame Edna might have said.

I have now adjusted the maximum volume possible on both units via the cog on the Naim app as suggested by PERTTU, and checked.  It is no longer possible for either to play at a level above that which I set which gives me comfort.

I have yet to be convinced that my grandson’s Spotify account has been finally removed from my system.  Fortunately I love my grandson  to bits and he knew not what he had done, unlike the daughter of one of the members commenting above who benignly switched her Dad’s system on remotely in order to alert him to something.

i wonder whether external control would not be possible if I always made a point of closing the Naim app on my IPads after use.  I usually do that, but sometimes forget and, in any case, my system could still be accessed externally when I was using it.  I am not going to try that experiment.  

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by perttu

Good to hear you got the volume issue sorted. The forum has many users willing to help out. 

Spotify's homepage contains help section. There is some useful info you should check out if you haven't already. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Sloop John B
coiledmagnet posted:

unlike the daughter of one of the members commenting above who benignly switched her Dad’s system on remotely in order to alert him to something.

..... that she was coming home for Christmas ????!

Luckily she had mentioned she might do this while we visited her on her Erasmus year in Freiburg as she still thought it was superuniti she would use, which I sold on during the year. I don’t know if it would have worked in the new owners house (I hope it wouldn’t) but thankfully this was averted. 

.sjb

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Singlespeed

Coiledmagnet - have you liaised with your grandson over the phone to see if he can still bring your system to life? (or near-death!)

Would be interesting to confirm what the remote operator can or can't actually do...

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by David Hendon

As has been said, this has been discussed many times. It’s a Spotify feature rather than a Naim bug and Naim is stuck with it.

As I recall, the problem is that the Naim product continues to be listed as an available playback unit in the errant Spotify user’s app and can easily be selected by that person inadvertently and then the volume turned up to maximum when the music doesn’t come out of the expected place, which is something local to that user, except for advanced Spotify users like Sloop JB’s daughter!

Deleting the Naim unit from the Spotify user’s list is the right solution, but deactivating the Spotify input from the Naim streamer, as suggested by HH, should also work for 272 or UQ2 etc. If you have a muso or Qb then you can’t turn off the Spotify and in that case a factory reset is needed to flush out the Spotify credentials sufficiently.

best

David