What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

26062AA1-7556-42C7-B48A-CB22EA10A947

Code4109 is one of my favourite experimental trip hop albums. DK Krush is nearly always superb, and this one has some great grooves and beats that he has fused together.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Playing on Vinyl - Always enjoy giving this Stones Classic from 1969 a play - Monkey Man and Gimme Shelteraer my favourites

http://wwwrollingstones.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2012/07/let-it-bleed-600x537.jpg

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

Iddo Bar Shai: Francois Couperin- Les Ombres Errantes

https://vimeo.com/114983011

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Robert Burgess

Classic recording of two great artists!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

One of these special Mehldau albums...

A special version of the nocturnes...

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tony2011

1997 // 2017 - 20th anniversary reissue...

Ok Not Ok Computer - Radiohead

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by osprey
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Code4109 is one of my favourite experimental trip hop albums. DK Krush is nearly always superb, and this one has some great grooves and beats that he has fused together.

Simon, not sure if others can see the cover art included in your past few posts but I can only see Image Not Found. 

Playing on Compact Disc - The Eels last album  after a 4 year break.Some great tracks well worth waiting for.

http://dis.resized.images.s3.amazonaws.com/540x540/105531.jpeg

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by TOBYJUG
osprey posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Simon, not sure if others can see the cover art included in your past few posts but I can only see Image Not Found. 

SIS meant DJ Krush. Is indeed a fine album if you like this sort of thing..

https://img.discogs.com/GSrSSoMUq3d2Smh2vuPugrDvpfU=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc[):format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-66255-1298929260.jpeg.jpg

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by ToddHarris

Live At The Cow Palace-New Years Eve 1976

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Jeroen20

Branford Marsalis - Requiem

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by M2bfx
TOBYJUG posted:
osprey posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

https://img.discogs.com/GSrSSoMUq3d2Smh2vuPugrDvpfU=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc[):format[jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-66255-1298929260.jpeg.jpg

How did you show record cover ?? 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Drikus

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Nigel 66

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by TOBYJUG
M2bfx posted:
TOBYJUG posted:
osprey posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

https://img.discogs.com/GSrSSoMUq3d2Smh2vuPugrDvpfU=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc[):format[jpeg):mode_rgb[):quality(90)/discogs-images/R-66255-1298929260.jpeg.jpg

How did you show record cover ?? 

Just google the item. Select images and copy/save. Some won't work If from an official site - but then go to a vendor selling the album and do the same.   Select the mountain, push in the copy and should be uncle bob.

Nice smooth jazz concert...

Nice new album of Joshua...

Playing on Compact Disc - Top Uk Hip Hop from The Streets - A fine collection of tracks about working class male life.

https://img.discogs.com/M3WpRSYeUI3d_-7_X6yL1Do8XHw=/fit-in/600x599/filters:strip_icc[):format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-45155-1175934571.jpeg.jpg

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by james n

Good call Ian - inspired me to give this a play. 

The Streets - A grand don't come for free

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Lloydy

My favourite Xmas present

Nice trio jazz

A fantastic album of Michael Wollny

Several months ago, a friend played me Weltentraum, the debut recording from the Michael Wollny Trio (2014). I was more than impressed. Wollny, an internationally successful jazz pianist was born in Scheinfurt, Germany in 1978. In Weltentraum he draws inspiration from such classical figures as Guillaume de Machaut, Paul Hindemith, Alban Berg, Edgard Varèse and Wolfgang Rihm. Even Friedrich Nietzsche puts in an appearance in two of the tracks.

I was delighted when Wollney’s subsequent album Nachtfahrten came up for review. It was released a year later than Weltentraum, in 2015. It’s more texturally spare and darkly etched than it’s predecessor, probing the unlit recesses. Nachtfahrtentranslates as ‘Night Journeys’

The opening track Questions in a world of blue is Wollney’s stunning take on Angelo Badalamenti’s Twin Peaks music. Dignified and reverential, it’s a truly wondrous departure to Wollny's twilight voyage, setting the mood for what’s to follow. There's something portentous and nervously heedful in the brief, contrasting Nachtmahr which follows, and Wollney's improvisatory skills are put to good use in Der Wanderer. There's something very persuasive in the eloquently contoured line here. Schaefer’s Motette No 1 sounds like music being created on the wing, whilst his Ellen smoulders in a bluesy aroma.

Wollny turns again to Guillaume de Machaut in De Desconfort, and wraps it in some colourful instrumentation, and likewise Feu Follet affords some sensuous piano sonorities. Schaefer’s sensitive percussion contributions in Marion give off an incandescent aura, whilst Weber’s lonely bass line in Odile et Odette adds some needed shape to the narrative. The solemn, persistent tread of Nachtfahrten which ends the album brings the journey to a world-weary end.

I have nothing but praise for this superb recording, and the high level of musicianship of the trio. They are in perfect harmony throughout, and have a high level of empathy and attentiveness towards one another. The music is well-recorded, and the sound quality has real presence.

Stephen Greenbank

Bert Schurink posted:

Nice trio jazz

Mulgrew Miller's second release for MaxJazz, his first live recording as a leader, captures the pianist's current working trio featuring his long time associate, drummer Karriem Riggins, and the amazing young Philadelphia bassist Derrick Hodge, at Yoshi's, the Bay Area's premier jazz establishment, in a set of classic music that should stir any discerning listener. Miller possesses one the most impressive pedigrees in jazz today, boasting tenures with the Duke Ellington Orchestra, Betty Carter, Art Blakey, Woody Shaw and Tony Williams and his imposing mature technique fittingly reflects this wealth of experience. A master of the piano tradition from Tatum to Tyner, this is his first chance in more than a decade to shine on record in the trio setting where he excels.

Miller's tremendous technical virtuosity is clearly evident from the beginning of the brisk tempo opener "If I Were A Bell," but it is the tasteful manner he exhibits in displaying his extraordinary abilities that is so inspiring. Throughout the date he demonstrates amazing articulation without ever leaving the listener thinking that any one of his many notes is being played simply for the sake of ostentation. On Donald Brown's lovely "Waltz For Monk" and Jobim's beautiful "O Grand Amor" he also shows that he is capable of breathtaking use of space. He swings mightily on Woody Shaw's "The Organ Grinder" and tenderly on Horace Silver's "Peace" and Ellington's "Don't You Know I Care."

On the bluesy interpretation of "What A Difference A Day Makes," the group evinces a classic sound with Hodge's arco bass solo divulging a prodigious talent with a bow that is practically unheard of in such a young player. Miller reveals his notable compositional skill on the closing "Pressing The Issue," a tour de force rhythmic assault that showcases Riggins' remarkable drumming and the more modernistic side of the unit that will hopefully be explored further with the release of the second volume of this truly great trio's first documented date.