The Perils of Vinyl

Posted by: Guinnless on 01 January 2019

After having some quite bad static issues on some of my new LPs I decided to get my trusty old Discostat out and 'clean' them. 

I used the kitchen as the workshop (as I'm sure others do) and ended up with a nice rack full of static free records

As they weren't quite dry and I wanted to make my tea I decided to move the rack to the conservatory where they could finish off drying, sadly this didn't go to plan and as one record slid back I tried to correct the rack and some then slid forward onto carpeted floor.  <!$%$£!!"%%> says. I ! 
Damage occurred where one LP hit another, the ones straight onto carpet were fine after a wipe.
Applewood Road is now trashed. Eric Bibb Blues, Ballads and Work Songs now has a scuff and a light click with every rotation on one track, I could live with it but don't intend to.
I've bought replacements Applewood Road and Erib Bibb.  The best deal for Eric Bibb being from Eric's own website and I get it autographed too.  I managed to make an order error so I replied back and got a response in 30 minutes from Eric's wife Ulrika 

Anyway, split milk and all that. 

Still I had a nice drive out to Kirkby Lonsdale today, a bit damp on the roads so got out-accelerated by a Yamaha T-Max scooter from the lights .  But the sun was out so all was well.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by RaceTripper
Loki posted:
RaceTripper posted:

Vinyl is expensive and a total PITA. You have to treat it correctly and gingerly always, but the payoff is worth it. 

If you have too much to drink, switch to your digital platform.That's what it's there for. 

If it's a PITA, then I humbly suggest that you may wish to change your handling technique. See Winky's post above...

My handling technique is without issue or flaw. I have 3000+ LPs, including many expensive remaster/reissues. I have damaged none, neither cleaning nor handling them. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Loki
RaceTripper posted:

My handling technique is without issue or flaw. I have 3000+ LPs, including many expensive remaster/reissues. I have damaged none, neither cleaning nor handling them. 

Mine is flawed but I never suffer a PITA

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by RaceTripper
Loki posted:
RaceTripper posted:

If you ever do, don't handle a record at the same time.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Loki
RaceTripper posted:
Loki posted:
RaceTripper posted:

If you ever do, don't handle a record at the same time.

Exactly!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

And playing an album that induces involuntary sleep that whence one awakes to a worn out cartridge from playing that comforting run out groove for 8 hours.