Owning Music

Posted by: J.N. on 02 January 2019

Interesting news item. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-46735093

John.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
Sloop John B posted:
Alley Cat posted:
The last Dr Who series for example has been such a disappointment, I feel so sorry for Jodie Whittaker having to take on the role with politically motivated scripts and little diversity quips and comments at every opportunity that they stand out like a sore thumb and seem completely contrived.

It’s so much better than reality TV drivel. We’ve watched Doctor Who as a series with our children since the reboot - and some older ones, I’m still slagged off over The Tallon’s of Weng Chiang! “ - and we’re enjoying this one as much as any. I thought my son was quite perceptive when he said by and large it was humans rather than aliens who were the “bad guys” in this series. In the age of Putin / Trump I’d prefer my TV to be sending messages of inclusivity. 

You really don’t know how good you have it with the BBC. It might not be where it once was but in a world that seems like one of those silly Star Trek episodes with people destroying their planet until Kirk intervenes, it’s head and shoulders above the alternatives. 

Be careful what you wish for....

.sjb

I thoroughly enjoyed Dr Who after its 'reboot', though after David Tennant the writers seemed to want to make it ever weirder, making it less enjoyable but still worth watching. Then last series lost all credibility with bad story lines, hammy production, and the weekly history or social lesson. It is the end for me - I can't even be bothered to check out the Xmas/New Year special that I missed.

Sherlock took a similar increasingly weird path making me lose interest rather quicker than Dr Who.

And it is not that it is aimed at younger audiences than me, because my two twenty-something sons felt exactly the same, with one of them commenting on the history lesson aspect of Dr Who before me, and the youngest one abandoning Sherlock before the remaining two of us.

Shame on the BBC.

As for so-called reality TV - though nothing specific to BBC or any other particular channel - yes, total drivel, unanimously agreed in this household (and with more than one TV to watch it is free choice).  Same with soaps (there was only ever one good one of those, back in the 70s, called "soap" - a send-up of soaps!) However my wife did watch Neighbours for a little while some years ago, and on rare occasions if I was home from work early I slightly enjoyed dipping into it - I think the appeal for both of us was that it didn't appear to take itself seriously and had scantily clad people around the pool or barbecue every episode. But I couldn't have watched it on a continuous basis.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Dozey

To be more pedantic, if you buy a cd the license to play is not in perpetuity. When you sell the carrier you lose the license which is transferred to the new owner. You are not allowed to keep a copy. Of course, it is not worth suing anyone over.

And if you buy cds they can be stolen or damaged. That is of course an insurable risk.

I find it interesting with tidal that some albums I "favourite" are no longer available. Often the albums turn up later again in a different version requiring re-favouriting.